Club Orange is Excellent

NanaBnana

5 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Only because of CO, or were there other reasons?

I could offer many, but after cruising for more than 50 years and reading the posts on CC, all my response will do is use up a lot of bandwidth disagreeing with me. Good luck to all.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Ok, slidergirl -  so you're saying you would rather have less value for your money? That is what they are doing to the suite guests with Club Orange.

You get more benefits as a suite guest with Club Orange.  That is indisputable.  Whether or not it's worth it to you personally is a matter of your opinion.  Many of us are fine with the "loss" of breakfast in Pinnacle Grill, since it's the same menu but in a different venue.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Perhaps HAL decided the "formality" of Pinnacle for breakfast 

I find your comment interesting.  As I have posted on CC in the past, the "formality" of a Pinnacle Grill breakfast was not enjoyable for me.  It was "stuffy" and at that time of the morning, it simply was not appropriate for me.  

Based upon what I observed on Nieuw Statendam, Club Orange could provide a more casual setting for breakfast.  Maybe that's what HAL was trying to do by changing the NS guests breakfast from PG to CO.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Ok, slidergirl -  so you're saying you would rather have less value for your money? That is what they are doing to the suite guests with Club Orange. 

You are indeed entitled to your opinion but please do not speak for me or other 4* suite passengers that have recently experienced it first hand and thought it actually provided much more value for the suite dollars rather than less. The loss of breakfast's in the Pinnacle stopped being important or used by us sometime ago after too many meals with inconsistent service and food so this was a delicious refreshing change as were the dinners. Respectfully, just curious have you actually tried it yet or do you just anticipate not liking it?            

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

You get more benefits as a suite guest with Club Orange.  That is indisputable.  Whether or not it's worth it to you personally is a matter of your opinion.  Many of us are fine with the "loss" of breakfast in Pinnacle Grill, since it's the same menu but in a different venue.

If CO is just a roped off section of the MDR, then the benefits of being a suite guest have been reduced.  

1 hour ago, twodjs said:

It is NOT less value for the money.  You still you have your super-special private breakfast.   Where is the less value?   Oh - you have to SHARE with those who paid extra 🙄

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

If CO is just a roped off section of the MDR, then the benefits of being a suite guest have been reduced.  

How?  Other than having to eat in the same room with the masses...  People are saying Club Orange has the Pinnacle breakfast, so you wouldn't be losing there.  

11 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

It is NOT less value for the money.  You still you have your super-special private breakfast.   Where is the less value?   Oh - you have to SHARE with those who paid extra 🙄

I had not thought about the SHARING part of the equation slidergirl but you make sense to me now as to why a few fancy feathers have been ruffled and I think you hit it on the head! I certainly hope nobody resents us or looks down their noses if we book a lower category next time and choose to pay the daily CO fee instead of having it included and found it worth it. (Heaven forbid these few would be forced to share a dining room us, might have to get out the smelling salts and fainting couch! LOL) Can't speak to how a roll out on ships without specific space designated will work out but will patiently wait, and try not to speculate or dwell on how much I might actually hate something before it even exists. Better yet before I have ever tried it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Yes, please do ask. People are curious about this!!!

All HAL has said in the press release is that it would roll out across the fleet "in 2019." If they really mean to do this on all ships this year, it has to be something like roping off seats because not all ships have a drydock scheduled. 

As a point of information, when Celebrity rolled out Luminae dining room for suite guests around 2015, they did not necessarily wait for drydock, but actually delivered pre-fab wall panels to the ship, along with all other materials, furnishings, and a work crew. I recall reading a thread from one of the Solstice Class ships by one long time Celebrity passenger who observed the process and posted a lot of photos.

I think the wall panels went in on a turnaround day, and after that all the interior work installing the pretty light fixtures etc took place in daytime hours when passengers were not in the main dining room. They created a new separate entrance at one side of the MDR. (Some Luminaes are on the lower level, some on the upper level.) The process was a fairly rapid and complete transformation.

Once complete, the effect was seamless as if it had always been that way. We’ve eaten in Luminae in Solstice Class ships, and anyone walking in there would never perceive that it was originally a part of the MDR unless they knew it beforehand.

(I believe they did the same thing earlier for adding Blu restaurant to existing ships, though I didn’t follow it at the time. Some Solstice-class ships have a purpose-built Blu location away from the MDR.).

Whether HAL will go a similar route is anyone’s guess. I would not like a roped off section of the MDR, though apparently Princess has this for Club Class.

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

How?  Other than having to eat in the same room with the masses...  People are saying Club Orange has the Pinnacle breakfast, so you wouldn't be losing there.  

Has absolutely nothing to do with "eating with the masses".  I simply do not think the MDR is an enjoyable experience.  It's too loud.  It's too crowded.  And, yes, I think it's too pretentious.  Quite frankly, we enjoy the Lido far more than the MDR.    

45 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Has absolutely nothing to do with "eating with the masses".  I simply do not think the MDR is an enjoyable experience.  It's too loud.  It's too crowded.  And, yes, I think it's too pretentious.  Quite frankly, we enjoy the Lido far more than the MDR.    

I think the Lido is too loud and too crowded.  Interesting how perceptions differ.

😎 Roz

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

So true Roz! I think I did put this quote in another post somewhere but as my Grandmother used to say there is an **s for every seat just find one your comfortable in for awhile. If your not comfortable any longer find another that suits you.  Happy Easter everyone!!

• Like 1

I really think that HAL was following Princess lead with their new Club Class. Princess did include some of the mini suites in the new program but I don't belie NV e 5hey sell access.

My guess is that someone at HAL decided they could sell it to all as another revenue generator. Apart from the new ships people paying $50 per day per person to eat in the same room all others pay nothing for. No extra staff needed and just need to add one dinner special.  HAL has dropped fares so low they need added revenue anywhere they can get it.

The problem with all these "special" areas is that they sell out early, and then most passengers booking a bit later are left with the dregs...which cannot make for a lot of happy campers.

We almost always cruise with HAL, but wanted to see what Celebrity was up to these days, so we just completed a cruise on Celebrity Eclipse...Aqua Class and ate in "Blu."  It was nice.  Just nice.  We went to the MDR for a couple lunches to get the feel of the MDR.  We found it loud, hectic, bright, and tables way too close together for our tastes.

A lot of posters here are focused on what CO is taking away from suite guests, but my fear is that it will take away from all guests.  If the MDR remains lovely, nobody will feel the need for the upsell to CO.  Princess has been doing the partitioned off special area in the MDR.  So what does that mean for people in the unspecial area?

I really hope HAL sticks to its wonderful formula of offering delightful dining for all who sail its ships -- and charging just enough of a premium to cover this cost of doing business.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

The problem with all these "special" areas is that they sell out early, and then most passengers booking a bit later are left with the dregs...which cannot make for a lot of happy campers.

We almost always cruise with HAL, but wanted to see what Celebrity was up to these days, so we just completed a cruise on Celebrity Eclipse...Aqua Class and ate in "Blu."  It was nice.  Just nice.  We went to the MDR for a couple lunches to get the feel of the MDR.  We found it loud, hectic, bright, and tables way too close together for our tastes.

A lot of posters here are focused on what CO is taking away from suite guests, but my fear is that it will take away from all guests.  If the MDR remains lovely, nobody will feel the need for the upsell to CO.  Princess has been doing the partitioned off special area in the MDR.  So what does that mean for people in the unspecial area?

I really hope HAL sticks to its wonderful formula of offering delightful dining for all who sail its ships -- and charging just enough of a premium to cover this cost of doing business.

I think what is "taken away" is more about real estate than service. The effect will depend on where they choose to put CO. My guess is it will be in a space with a maximum of window tables. And how many tables will they take? If they take too many, the tables could sit empty while fewer tables are available to people not in CO. If they take too few, people who paid $50 pp may not think it's worth the cost if they have to wait for a table just as they would in the MDR. 

CO is more than the dining option. There's priority embarkation and priority tendering. My cruise had only HMC as a tender port, so that wouldn't have been important to me. But if it's an itinerary with a lot of tender ports, that increases the value of CO. There's a priority line at the shorex desk, but I didn't check that out. I did stand on the "special" mat at the CO line at the front desk. I wasn't in a hurry, but nobody was there and I was curious about what would happen (I was in a NS, not CO, but NS get CO "privileges.") Not much priority there. Instead of being taken by the next available person, I had to stand until the person directly in front of me was free. With my luck, the person at her "station" was taking ages, and people in the general line were getting served before I was. I am NOT complaining like some Entitled Person. Just commenting on a CO perk that didn't seem like much of a perk. 

As for things being taken away from suite guests, the only big thing is the Pinnacle breakfast. I like the ambiance of the Pinnacle better. Others don't like that ambiance and were happier in CO. So that's a matter of taste. A few more people will get priority embarkation and tendering.  One poster was offended that someone in just any cabin can "buy in" to what NS/PS guests get as part of the suite. It's true that $1000 for a couple on a 10-day cruise is far less than the difference between the price of an Inside and a NS, but if that's how someone wants to spend their holiday budget, I'm not offended. It's like the retreat. Some people buy in Inside and then get a cabana. That's cheaper than getting a large private balcony by booking a NS or PS. It's all about options and how much money HAL can make by selling them.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Apart from the sarcasm, I find the suggestion that NS holders might have to share with non-NS passengers amusing; because it seems that the people who are willing to pay $50 a day for this new benefit are the ones who are striving to distance themselves from the rest of the ship population.  

As for greater or less value, it depends on whether one likes eating in a coffee shop atmosphere or would prefer the upscale atmosphere of the PG for breakfast.  We  usually travel in a NS but only ate breakfast twice in the PG on our recent 89-day cruise.  I actually came to prefer the Lido for breakfast.  Although I have never been on a ship which has the CO, the pictures don't look too enticing.  NS or not, I suspect that we will stick with the Lido.  

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

Apart from the sarcasm, I find the suggestion that NS holders might have to share with non-NS passengers amusing; because it seems that the people who are willing to pay $50 a day for this new benefit are the ones who are striving to distance themselves from the rest of the ship population.  

As for greater or less value, it depends on whether one likes eating in a coffee shop atmosphere or would prefer the upscale atmosphere of the PG for breakfast.  We  usually travel in a NS but only ate breakfast twice in the PG on our recent 89-day cruise.  I actually came to prefer the Lido for breakfast.  Although I have never been on a ship which has the CO, the pictures don't look too enticing.  NS or not, I suspect that we will stick with the Lido.  

NS - special lounge, special place to eat...  sounds like NS holders are trying to distance themselves from the rest of the population also 😉      

14 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

NS - special lounge, special place to eat...  sounds like NS holders are trying to distance themselves from the rest of the population also 😉      

Is it a terrible thing that some can afford to travel first class?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Is it a terrible thing that some can afford to travel first class?

No.  But, don't whine if you do have to mix with others...  

Delta Sky Lounge.  Diamonds get free access.  Others can pay to enter.  If you have AMEX Plat, you can enter.  Diamonds whine that the lounge is letting anyone in...   Hilton lounge.  Diamonds get free access.  Concierge room guests get access.  Others can pay to "buy up" - Diamonds complain that the lounge is letting anyone in...   

Me? I cocoon in a Cabana when and where I can.  It's my personal perk that I'm willing to pay extra for.   I'll take a lowly inside to be a be able to get that Cabana on HAL, I'll take a street-view hotel room to afford the beachside Cabana at a resort.   

How your special breakfast is being offered is changing.  But, you still have your other private perks.  It's commerce in a publicly-traded company whose obligations are to the shareholders.  

21 hours ago, slidergirl said:

21 hours ago, slidergirl said:

24 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Me? I cocoon in a Cabana when and where I can.  It's my personal perk that I'm willing to pay extra for.   I'll take a lowly inside to be a be able to get that Cabana on HAL, I'll take a street-view hotel room to afford the beachside Cabana at a resort.    

Would you think your cabana had been devalued if HAL strung some 'do not enter police tape' between some traffic cones pool side, put a lounger inside, and called it a cabana? 

If the 'special breakfast' consists of a roped off area in the MDR, then that 'special breakfast' has been devalued.   

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

If that is the reason that some people prefer NS accommodations, they must be very disappointed.  The lounge is not a cocktail lounge; the only separate eating place is breakfast in the Pinnacle; and many people prefer not to eat breakfast in that venue.  We prefer the NS cabins for two reasons:  Considerably more space and, two, the services of a live concierge, who handles the trickiest of problems with grace, with success, and without having to wait in line at the front desk.  Hard to say which is the more advantageous.  Wish we could take them home with us!

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 1:14 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Would you think your cabana had been devalued if HAL strung some 'do not enter police tape' between some traffic cones pool side, put a lounger inside, and called it a cabana? 

If the 'special breakfast' consists of a roped off area in the MDR, then that 'special breakfast' has been devalued.   

The roped off area offers NS peeps tables, chairs, probably tablecloths, servers, and the same food they'd get in Pinnacle for breakfast,  just for them and their CO buds.  

If my roped off area had the basics of a"cabana" - shade, a lounger, and a pool boy - , I'm OK.  I have no driving need/desire to be separated from everyone in a special area.  My cocoon as described would be fine.

Edited by slidergirl