Tips/Questions for Mariner of the Seas

Going on my third cruise now, first time with Royal Caribbean. My question is are there any tips for the Mariner of the Seas? We're doing a 3 Day cruise, and I booked it because it's been recently revamped, and Coco Cay will be revamped by the time we sail (late July 2019).

I've like to know the following:

- What do you do for food on the first day? Typically on other cruises I've tried to just head to the MDR for lunch, but it appears that's not open on Mariner on the first day. I've also heard the buffet gets insanely crowded and I'd like to avoid that while we wait for rooms.

- What bars did you like the best? I know Bamboo Room is very cool on this ship, but I'm wondering how crowded it gets and when as well?

- Did you bother with shows at all? On a short cruise I'm wondering if that's worth the effort? How long do they typically run and are there any shows we shouldn't miss?

- Did you do any specialty dining and was it worth it to you on the ship?

- What are the "don't miss this" things to do for you on the ship? Obviously with limited time we need to prioritize.

Thanks for your help, love the community here! Feel free to add any advice I didn't cover as well, I love to hear your opinions.

First day food.  Promenade cafe and the Dog House would be good options.  If you don't mind paying, Bamboo Room, Playmakers, or Johnny Rockets would work.  

Bamboo Room is great, never saw it crowded.  The Pub and Playmakers are right there as well in case Bamboo Room is too busy.  Schooner is also a good spot.  VCL/Ellington's shouldn't be missed, great views.

I liked the ice show, I think was it just shy of an hour.

First-day food- depending on if you get on the ship early, I would recommend checking out the Windjammer, if you get on after 12 Windjammer will be packed, I would give Playmakers a try, (Try it during the cruise) really good wings

Bars- The Bamboo room is really cool and was never too crowded when I went in. Playmakers bar was crowded at night, my personal favorite would be the Schooner Bar, not crowded and nice performances

Shows- Did not see production shows, but saw comedians and ice show, definitely a must watch.

Don't miss- 

Do slides/Flowrider the first day- little to no lines, will be crowded for the rest of the cruise

Slides- Blue slide is faster and has a great view of the side of the ship over the ocean, Yellow is slower and has an ok view of the ocean

Do Skypad- make reservations early, will be very busy

You also don't have to wear vr goggles if you don't want to, I didn't and they let me bounce higher and had a great view of the ocean

The Quest- CD and staff make this Quest a lot of fun, definitely a must do

1 hour ago, Paelos said:

Going on my third cruise now, first time with Royal Caribbean. My question is are there any tips for the Mariner of the Seas? We're doing a 3 Day cruise, and I booked it because it's been recently revamped, and Coco Cay will be revamped by the time we sail (late July 2019).

I've like to know the following:

- What do you do for food on the first day? Typically on other cruises I've tried to just head to the MDR for lunch, but it appears that's not open on Mariner on the first day. I've also heard the buffet gets insanely crowded and I'd like to avoid that while we wait for rooms.

- What bars did you like the best? I know Bamboo Room is very cool on this ship, but I'm wondering how crowded it gets and when as well?

- Did you bother with shows at all? On a short cruise I'm wondering if that's worth the effort? How long do they typically run and are there any shows we shouldn't miss?

- Did you do any specialty dining and was it worth it to you on the ship?

- What are the "don't miss this" things to do for you on the ship? Obviously with limited time we need to prioritize.

Thanks for your help, love the community here! Feel free to add any advice I didn't cover as well, I love to hear your opinions.

I don't think the buffet on Mariner is insanely crowded.

Shows are around 45 minutes.

Good to know on the Windjammer, many reviews I read complained about lack of seating as an issue.

I like the idea of doing Playmakers or Pomenade as we drink our first few drinks. That's very helpful!

Side note, how is the pizza? I know they don't have the Sorrento's place, but they do it in the Promenade Cafe?

Hi Bob this is off topic, I am trying to provide a Link ( California Thread ) to our Emerald of the Seas March 11th Roll Call and I keep getting photos and do not know how to remove. I would like to provide the Link so some of our roll Call members can locate us. Thank you for any tips on how to remove the picture. 

Gay

We just got off Mariner. Windjammer was full but not crazy on the first day. Promenade cafe (pizza) had long lines all cruise. Bars - Boleros was packed all the time, none of the other bars were very crowded except the pool bars which was mobbed all day. Shows- didn’t see the comedian or the headliner, but the production show was so bad it was laughable. The performers tried but singers weren’t really good and the whole premise was stupid. Ice show was good and well done. Best music was the group playing in the Promenade. They were really talented.  Food - best experience in many cruises with food and service in main dining room, but our meal in Jamie’s was just plain awful. I have never in my whole life sent back food because I didn’t like it and I almost did that night. No excuse in an Italian restaurant for the pasta to be so over cooked it was gummy. Chicken was all bones and no meat. Jamie’s was near empty every night. 

That's a big help thank you! I'm excited about the MDR, we don't really plan to do any specialties this trip and Jaimes has been noted by many as questionable so I'm taking that to heart.

I also got a chuckle about your description of the production show, I feel that way about most of them. Horrible ballads and dancers trying to sing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, the windjammer is going to be busy at "busy times". We usually get on the ship as early as we can and go right to the Windjammer. It is our "we are officially on a cruise" moment. If you go after 12, it is going to be busier. Same for breakfast. We would go early or a little later. It is no different than a restaurant or anything like that. And depending on how many people are in your group, you might have to split up to eat. When we took my parents, there were 6 of us total, and we usually ate at 2 tables.

• 3 weeks later...

The Windjammer is OK, but I recommend that you get your silverware and your drink and then find a place to sit before you go to get your food. Café Promenade does have lines at times but they move quickly and there is plenty of seating throughout the Royal Promenade after you get your food. The dog house is good but your choices are limited obviously. Have a good cruise and let us know how it went with a review.

• Like 1

I always manage to find a seat in the Windjammer no matter when we go.  There's the Dog House by the pool if you need a snack between lunch & dinner. We do a big breakfast then just have a snack til dinner, I can never get my husband to go to lunch day 1 cause his first stop is always the pool bar!

• Like 1