Celebrity Edge Review

vermonter16

My husband and I just got off The Celebrity Edge and what a fantastic ship she is.  I was a little worried over reading reviews that maybe she was not up to Celerity standards - but SHE IS!  Could she use some tweaking - absolutely.  But, overall she is a beautiful ship and I wouldn't hesitate to sail her again.

We stayed in an Infinite Veranda (IV) Cabin.  I thought I would be horrified by it based on previous reviews but it actually ISN'T THAT BAD.  Is it a real balcony?  No.  I don't think anyone thought it would be.  Is it tight and awkward if one wanted to close the doors - yes.  Would it affect us sailing it again?  No.  I love my balcony and spend a lot of time on my balcony but what was nice about this was that it really did extend the cabin space out a bit.  It is a catch-22.  We opened the balcony 'window' when we wanted and yes, the cabin did heat up but the a/c took it back down in plenty of time.  We stayed in cabin 12148 which is a partially obstructed concierge.  The Magic Carpet went up and down in front of our IV which was actually pretty cool to see.  The cabin wasn't really obstructed by anything either.  However, being under the pool deck, the cabin could get a bit noisy in the middle of the night from above.  My husband and I are not bothered by that though so it didn't affect us.  But, if you are affected by noise - look for another cabin.

Eden.  Eden was my favorite place on the entire ship!  I love to read and usually go to the Solarium for this...but Eden is my new favorite place.  Lots of places to sit, a relaxing atmosphere with great views AND a bar.  We ate in Eden for lunch and it was very good.  They had salads and sandwiches which were tasty.  We ate there for dinner too one night and I have to say that it was the BEST meal I've ever had on a cruise ship - EVER!  The flavors were delightful.  The menu does not do the dinner justice...  Were the performers in Eden a bit 'different'?  Yes.  But, being Cirque fans - we didn't mind it at all.

The Martini Bar was a great place too.  We had several drinks there and the service was phenomenal.  Again, based on reviews I thought it would be overcrowded and poor service....we never had an issue at all.  My favorite new martini is the Dill Pickle.

We ate mostly in the buffet but one night we did eat dinner in the Cypress which was very good.  The food was good and the service was quick.  Like I said, we usually ate in the buffet which doesn't cease to disappoint.  My only 'complaint' if you will was with the grilled items in the evening.  On the S-Class ships they grilled everything fresh.  On The Edge, they grilled a lot of things and just let them sit.  It certainly wasn't a showstopper but not my preference.  The seating in the buffet was also very spacious - even during busy hours like lunch and breakfast at sea.

The Sunset Bar could provide some kind of coverage on the starboard side (yes, the smoking side).  The sun just beat down on the part of the area.  Service was ok there but not the best....and not a big deal.  We still got drinks!

The Rooftop Garden is a beautiful addition to the deck with areas for reading and relaxing.

Cafe Al Bacio - COFFEE.  It's good!  Always has been.  No change there.

The biggest thing I missed on this ship were any kind of String Instruments.  The music was a bit modern (which I don't mind) but I also enjoy the classics.

The shows were very good and we don't attend a lot of shows.  They were definitely worth seeing.

There was an enrichment speaker on board named Ed Buckbee.  He was a former employee of NASA and his talks were very good if you are remotely interested in Space or the Space program.  

I enjoyed The Edge a lot more than I thought I would.  Give this ship a chance - she is certainly beautiful.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

A fellow Eden lover! I really loved that space too and it's one of the main reasons I booked the Edge again. The breathtaking views, the relaxing atmosphere and comfortable seats (I'm one of the people who loved the tri-color lounge chairs), the nice, friendly bar, a yummy selection for breakfast and lunch, a delicious dinner experience, an excellent music venue and some friendly, interesting people wandering around to keep me company - I could live there. 😉

I'm glad the IV worked out okay for you. We enjoyed ours, but like you, went in knowing what type of veranda we were getting. We were 5 cabins down in 12136 for 2 nights and enjoyed watching the MC move too. I think you were under the end of the cabana pathway/Mast Grill area and we were under the Solarium bump out and didn't hear any noise above us. If you have time, it would be great if you did a review for the Edge Cabin sticky to give people the info about the noise above your cabin.  Thanks!

Here is a link to the thread - the first post has the template to copy and paste into a post so that you can your info:

Edited by vtcruising

We were on your sailing as well and I echo many of your impressions. I LOVED Eden and spent a lot of time there. I agree that dinner in Eden is hands down the best dinner I've ever had on a cruise. I hope this dinner offering sticks around for awhile, I'm ready to go again! Also loved lunch, I had the pork belly sliders and they were delicious. Don't get me going on the cocktails... tried most and The Village was my favorite with many of the others running a close second. I just loved all things Eden!! 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dmp223 said:

We were on your sailing as well and I echo many of your impressions. I LOVED Eden and spent a lot of time there. I agree that dinner in Eden is hands down the best dinner I've ever had on a cruise. I hope this dinner offering sticks around for awhile, I'm ready to go again! Also loved lunch, I had the pork belly sliders and they were delicious. Don't get me going on the cocktails... tried most and The Village was my favorite with many of the others running a close second. I just loved all things Eden!! 

I liked the Garden! Yes, it was huge and yes, I had a lovely morning in Eden after that!

image.thumb.png.b62e5eebf2efb06ab20d99e75053e19f.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

vermonter16, your balanced review is much appreciated.  I guess people from Vermont must really like Edge if I include you with vtcruising. 

Yes, we Vermonters have excellent taste! 😉  Maybe the Eden greenery and quirkiness reminds of us of VT....

• Like 2

Loved reading your review, very balanced and it sounds like what I am expecting to feel on my upcoming sailing.  Thinking I will love Eden and the ability to sit/relax/drink and watch the ocean view take me away.  So looking forward to the differences on Edge ... like the coffee shop being more open definitely looks like a big improvement over the S class!

Thank you for sharing, I plan to share my views much like you when I return.  Not planning on doing any long review, will be more to the point type thoughts much like you have done here.

• Like 1

agree that dinner in Eden is hands down the best dinner I've ever had on a cruise. I hope this dinner offering sticks around for awhile, I'm ready to go again! Also loved lunch, I had the pork belly sliders and they were delicious.

How much surcharge did you have to pay for your dinner in Eden?

What didn’t you like about the MDR options, making you choose to eat there only once?

The surcharge for Eden was $65 per person.  

Dinner in the dining room was very good and no complaints.  We had friends on the cruise who were doing different things at different times so it was just easier for us to do the buffet.

I will definitely leave a cabin review and thanks for all the positive comments from everyone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for taking the time to post your very helpful review. We sail in an Infinite Veranda next month, so it’s great to read another positive review of one. How often did you find your Veranda window locked? Did you notice pervasive incense while dining in Eden? 

Edited by Silkroad

On 3/5/2019 at 10:34 AM, vtcruising said:

Yes, we Vermonters have excellent taste! 😉  Maybe the Eden greenery and quirkiness reminds of us of VT....

But I did not see any black flies in Eden- maybe the wrong time of year.  I forgot my netting anyway.

5 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

But I did not see any black flies in Eden- maybe the wrong time of year.  I forgot my netting anyway.

End of August for Clusterflies 🙂 End of May'ish' for black flies.  I'll take the black flies over the Cluster....

3 minutes ago, vermonter16 said:

End of August for Clusterflies 🙂 End of May'ish' for black flies.  I'll take the black flies over the Cluster....

Yes I remember!  I went to school in Hanover NH and had good friends living in White River Junction VT.