Something going on at SeaDream

Avidcruiser76

1 hour ago, TrapperZimmy said:

sounds like world cruises

If that is the case, it is back to the future for the ships.  The Sea Goddess twins were originally continual world cruisers.  Will be interesting to see what is planned.

No doubt many of you today received the same blast SeaDream email teasing about the March 20 “big announcement” of the next phase for SD.  At the end of the animation one can sign up to be advised with more details on March 20.  Wonder if part of this has to do with the long-rumored mystery “third vessel” in the fleet?  If as others have said this is back to the future with continuous cruises around the world using the two existing ships, that must mean they have great confidence in their operational reliability, etc.!

3 minutes ago, JES4845 said:

No doubt many of you today received the same blast SeaDream email teasing about the March 20 “big announcement” of the next phase for SD.  At the end of the animation one can sign up to be advised with more details on March 20.  Wonder if part of this has to do with the long-rumored mystery “third vessel” in the fleet?  If as others have said this is back to the future with continuous cruises around the world using the two existing ships, that must mean they have great confidence in their operational reliability, etc.!

Right on about the reliability part.  I have been in the maritime industry most of my adult life and I cannot find any evidence in any of the trade pubs of any ship being built for SD.  The data bases go out to 2027 or more and show all types of passenger vessels for Crystal, Seabourn, Ritz Carlton, Scenic, Viking Oceans 2 new expedition ships (2020 and 2021 delivery) but no site I am familiar says anything about SD either pending contract or executed contract.  Yard space is at a premium so even if a new ship is in the offing, I would not expect it anytime soon.  That is unless they have bought an existing ship and are refurbishing it.  I guess we shall see on the 20th.🍸

This may help confirm Jim’s predictions/suspicions above about going back to a world cruise of some kind ... while trying to find more info on the Internet I just came across an announcement from April 2018 I wasn’t aware of until now.  At that time, SD brought in a former executive with The World as the new SD SVP for marketing, branding, YLAs, revenue, etc.  That background certainly points toward a world cruise approach!

19 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Right on about the reliability part.  I have been in the maritime industry most of my adult life and I cannot find any evidence in any of the trade pubs of any ship being built for SD.  The data bases go out to 2027 or more and show all types of passenger vessels for Crystal, Seabourn, Ritz Carlton, Scenic, Viking Oceans 2 new expedition ships (2020 and 2021 delivery) but no site I am familiar says anything about SD either pending contract or executed contract.  Yard space is at a premium so even if a new ship is in the offing, I would not expect it anytime soon.  That is unless they have bought an existing ship and are refurbishing it.  I guess we shall see on the 20th.🍸

Can't believe you're not 100% "in the know" on this one!!!

We only do the Caribbean cruises (yearly) so I am wondering what this "global cruise" IS and how it might effect our itineraries? Does it have anything to do with these B2B, European extended cruises that SD started touting in February (4 in 2019, 20 in 2020)? 

(I also heard that SD3 (if materialized) would possibly be for charter groups.)    

Sounds like a worldwide cruising schedule where perhaps you can embark and disembark at any port of your desire, regulations permitting.  Sort of the way it might work on your own private yacht.  You would pay a pro-rated daily rate for the amount of days you would be onboard the vessel.  

I recall Silversea tried something like this in the past, but eventually it slowly and silently died off.  Probably too much of a logistical challenge.  

On 3/6/2019 at 5:04 PM, eroller said:

Sounds like a worldwide cruising schedule where perhaps you can embark and disembark at any port of your desire, regulations permitting.  Sort of the way it might work on your own private yacht.  You would pay a pro-rated daily rate for the amount of days you would be onboard the vessel.  

I recall Silversea tried something like this in the past, but eventually it slowly and silently died off.  Probably too much of a logistical challenge.  

Hi Ernie.  Remember you from Cunard.  Only 12 days to go to get the "Big News".  Still no evidence of a contract at any of the passenger shipyards anywhere.  Maybe back to world cruising, maybe an old Manx ferry with new paint and a pool?🍸

And another possibility is Mystic Cruises, where former SeaDreamer James Cabello works. They are building up to 10  200 passenger ships and leasing them.  The nearest one not announced on lease yet comes on line in 2021.  So many strange possibles.....😳

Edited by Jim Avery

I thought about Mystic but don’t think that’s it.  Terje is one of their new captains and don’t think James has good ties to Oslo.  So something else — still think it’s got to be a lease of some sort or buying an existing ship — possibilities are intriguing!

vandrefalk

I would like that, too, Vandrefalk, but a crossing is never going to be in our future. We took the repositioning cruise prior to Cuba, which was like a crossing in the sense of many sea days. We've always loved sea days, but apparently Trapper can take only so many of them.