Something going on at SeaDream

Avidcruiser76

From the pictures, it doesn't look much bigger than the old yachts.  On the starboard side, it looks like there is one lifeboat and one tender, so maybe it will still be close to 100 passengers.  Bali beds look like they are in little cabanas, and forward instead of around the stack.  No, Zimmy, I am not suggesting we spend the night in one.  Sounds like some unusual itineraries.  Northwest Passage would be beautiful.

You are right, Knothead, we have to see the prices.

Sounds like they're trying to get into the expedition cruise game. They are late to the party I'm afraid. Silverseas and Ponant have been doing it for years. And Hurtigruten is ramping up both in the US market and has been internationally. It's a whole different ball game. I wish them luck. :) 

Has anyone else interacted with the SD sales team on specific voyages now available only to Club Members before the public can book starting in mid-April? Would welcome comparing notes.  After numerous emails today it seems like things are quite confused onshore.  I received conflicting information about which customary discounts do and do not apply.  Best I can tell, there is no on-board booking discount for the new ship - ditto for no back to back discount either.  The only discounts are 10% for Club Members - but beware that 10% discount is already reflected in the quoted fares.  The only other discount at this time is an additional 10% if you pay in full today, which for many voyages would be fully three years in advance.  While we saw several voyages of interest, we are curbing our enthusiasm from the giddiness of the big announcement and holding off.  Who knows what fares and passenger loads will be like so far out.  Many of the voyages are quite long in duration and very, very expensive - even with the 10% off for Club Members.  As others on this thread noted, SD is new to the expedition market.  I’m now as interested in the renovation plans for the existing vessels if not more so.  

3 minutes ago, JES4845 said:

Has anyone else interacted with the SD sales team on specific voyages now available only to Club Members before the public can book starting in mid-April? 

I don't have any data points to add to any of yours.  I did learn though that at present they are selling the inaugural cruise only to those willing to purchase the entire 70 day voyage.  I can't imagine that they will succeed in selling out the ship for the entire voyage and am hoping that at some point they will offer shorter segments to those not willing or able to spend 70 days cruising from London to Ushuaia.  A London to Miami segment (during Hurricane Season, no less) would be of interest.

Yes - you are correct about the “all or nothing” inaugural cruise of 70 days - per friends to whom we introduced SeaDream.  They were keenly interested in segments (such as Miami to South America) but were told no go.  If I’m not mistaken the inaugural voyage includes 3 days in Miami - in hurricane season as noted above.  We have a place about an hour or so north of Miami (depending on traffic!) so if we happen to be in town, perhaps SD will allow those of us who can make it a chance to visit the new vessel while in Miami.

Edited by JES4845

Yes indeed on the two-plus years ... seems like some details (such as sales terms, discounts or no discounts, etc.) should have been “ironed out” before they went “public” with all of us Club Members that together form their most loyal customer base.  Hopefully they will do so quickly in coming days as we all want them to succeed.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TrapperZimmy said:

Can we book the 70 day and then sublet portions of it?  The ship does look beautiful, but I suspect it may also cost a pretty penny.  I, too, would like to see what they do to the I and II.

It does cost quite a bit.  A very ambitious step for SD.  I suspect more than a few of us would have been happy with new mechanicals on the existing pair.....  Oh yeah,  and a no kids policy.....😳🍸

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

It does cost quite a bit.  A very ambitious step for SD.  I suspect more than a few of us would have been happy with new mechanicals on the existing pair.....  Oh yeah,  and a no kids policy.....😳🍸

Agree...but on another note (and please let Mr. Hum know) Guess who just won March Madness...😂🍾🥂