Anyone regret purchasing the Cheers program

l8cruiser

On 3/5/2019 at 7:18 AM, l8cruiser said:

I am curious if anyone thought they made a mistake purchasing the Cheers program. I was thinking on port days , if we would be away too long to get our moneys worth. It would be nice to have mimosas in the morning along with special coffees. I would kick myself though if we didn’t drink enough to make it worthwhile. 

image.png.aadf9a89f0e45e3d3227dfa24a83f807.png

Probably this person. 

got it on a 4 day liberty cruise with my gf last fall. While the unlimited powerades and speciality coffees were a huge plus, she didnt drink 5.5 a day which means i had to drink 11 a day to break even.  To me, i can't do all you can eat AND drink, its one or the other.

For my next cruise i will not get it and will just go to Alchemy and buy my own powerades

17 hours ago, 61Lablover said:

So we have 5 kids and splitting cabins so only 1 of us has to buy the cheers because we are in separate cabins?

Correct.  We travel in two cabins, one adult in each room, but reservations linked.  When purchasing Cheers it is possible to just have one adult in one cabin purchase, both do not need to.  In our case, we both did purchase eventually, but the first purchase was made months before and then I purchased mine close to sailing.  

17 hours ago, Crazy4Camping said:

Okay so the bottomless bubbles is not just pop?  Is it like unlimited anything non-alcoholic??  Also, It's interesting too how the rules can change from ship to ship and cruise line to cruise line.  They aren't supposed to have one person get drinks for both(like my husband getting drinks for both of us so I didn't have to go to the bar)but they let him a couple of times-maybe because they already knew us and we weren't heavy drinkers, I don't know.  My nephew had the bottomless bubbles on another cruiseline and very easily got pop, fruit punch, etc. for his grandma(my mom)when they sailed together.

Bubbles is soda and juice only. I suspect that since the parents had cheers the bartenders may have served the kids other drinks like powerade on the parents card, especially if they were tipping extra. Whenever we cruise with our kid bartenders and servers we frequent offer to make him smoothies and special drinks on our cheers. 

• Thanks 1

We did not regret getting Cheers at all, BUT it helped us decide that we would most likely not get it in the future. One of the main reasons I wanted it was to be able to try out anything we wanted without worrying about whether we would like it or not. We did that. And it was great. We felt really free to try stuff and then not drink it and get something else. My husband did fall into the trap of "getting his money's worth" a couple of days. We both had a few times of thinking we "should" order something because we had Cheers. I had a day or two that I really didn't feel like a drink, but got something because I had paid for that day. We didn't have an issue with port days though and we spent a good part of 4 out of seven days in ports.

However, now that we have a solid base for knowing for sure what we want, we feel like the main motivation isn't there. Our plan is to get discounted giftcards and apply them to our account and then order as we are comfortable. It's very much about a mindset, IMO. What we learned about ourselves is the cost of Cheers was definitely in the back of our minds as we went about our days. We would rather give ourselves a bigger drink budget than we have had in the past but with the ability to get our money back if it's not used up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

What we learned about ourselves is the cost of Cheers was definitely in the back of our minds as we went about our days. We would rather give ourselves a bigger drink budget than we have had in the past but with the ability to get our money back if it's not used up.

Surprisingly, that is the first time I've read that on here. I feel I would be the same way. I don't get how $800 on drinks would make me so care-free.

On 3/5/2019 at 10:44 AM, l8cruiser said:

We enjoyed the all you can drink at the resorts in Mexico. The cheer program would give you the Resort feel of being able to almost drink all you want. It’s kind of like gambling. You are taking a chance on if you can drink enough to at least break even.  Our last cruise bar tab was only 350 dollars for the week. Now if I knew that I could have 15 drinks a day , I would certainly drink more. In Mexico , I was drinking tequila sunrises and mimosas for breakfast simply because they were free. I would do the same with cheers and order mimosas along with premium coffee. 

It's nice, knowing what you are going to spend before you leave. It's nice to have just about everything paid for in advance.    I think the fact that it includes bottled water, coconut and vitamin water, and specialty water makes it more than worth it.  Mimosas in the Morning, wine with dinner.  And also 25% off bottles of wine and champagne.  

I think for me, I like getting foo foo drinks, i think they're 8.95 each plus gratuity ?  Well, I will easily have 5 of those a day, and if I sip them once i get them down an inch or so, I will get a floater to pour on top, after the 5 min wait.... So no prob in at least breaking even.  Plus like everyone says, peace of mind not having to have all those charges on your credit card bill that you won't pay off immediately when you get home anyway!

• Like 1

I just don't understand all "peace of mind" posts.  We bought it once and it was not worth it to us.  Our April cruise we have purchased several discounted gift cards for what we anticipate spending.  If we go over, no big deal.  We have budgeted (yes that appears to be a novel concept here at CC) money for extra drinks, pictures, and other purchases.  The last night we will use that cash to pay off our bill therefore leaving no shocking credit card bill when we return.  Maybe it helps my job is Sr Budget Analyst.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, moondog73 said:

I just don't understand all "peace of mind" posts.  We bought it once and it was not worth it to us.  Our April cruise we have purchased several discounted gift cards for what we anticipate spending.  If we go over, no big deal.  We have budgeted (yes that appears to be a novel concept here at CC) money for extra drinks, pictures, and other purchases.  The last night we will use that cash to pay off our bill therefore leaving no shocking credit card bill when we return.  Maybe it helps my job is Sr Budget Analyst.  

You don't plan to fail, you fail to plan. Not everyone lives on a strict budget.

On 3/5/2019 at 10:18 AM, l8cruiser said:

I am curious if anyone thought they made a mistake purchasing the Cheers program. I was thinking on port days , if we would be away too long to get our moneys worth. It would be nice to have mimosas in the morning along with special coffees. I would kick myself though if we didn’t drink enough to make it worthwhile. 

No but have only bought on shorter cruises 5 day or less. On the 4th day we get kinda of tired of drinking. Think about buying the AARP gift cards at 10% off and you can safe more. We do not worry so much about hitting the 15 drink mark. Its more just a convenience drink what you want when you want and not worry about the bill at the end of the cruise. 

I’ve seen a lot of different opinions on this, but here is ours...

We haven’t regretted it. We don’t drink beer and very little wine (DW might have a glass or two with dinner), but do enjoy other alcohol. We at least break even when adding up all the water, diet cokes, shakes, specialty coffees and alcoholic beverages, plus it allows us to “splurge” on top shelf liquor and to explore drinks that we have never had before, if we dont like it, no worries just get something different.

As I said this is our opinion, YMMV 🙂

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

Cheers has definitely "lightened" my luggage...The days of sneaking on a couple handles of Vodka and 2 liter bottles of mixers is long gone!!! LOL

Wish I could say the same.  I buy Cheers and I still sneak on rum. 

I may have a problem.  

• Haha 2

Hi 

The question, no matter how it's phrased...and it has been posed many times, is "Is Cheers Worth it for me?"

For me it's clear. If you are not one to drink a moderate amount of alcohol every day, then Cheers is not for you. You are much better off not purchasing it and just paying as you go.

For those that like to drink a lot, and will drink alcohol every day, "Cheers" is well worth it. 

Now it's obvious, if those that didn't drink much, didn't purchase it, and only those that made full use (or close) were making the purchase, then Carnival would be losing money and would either discontinue or keep raising the price.

So why would they continue to offer this program. The answer would seem clear enough. There are enough people in between that are making it profitable for them. I believe it is those, that are in the camp of feeling that they are probably/maybe breaking even are those that are making it "worth it" for Carnival to offer the package. The bottom line, is that many of those people, are making as much use of what they can get just because they "have already paid" for it. They buy drinks they don't like, they try to drink a little more than they would normally, etc... but the fact is, as with any bar, Carnival has a tremendous markup on their alcohol sales. What they are doing with packages such as Cheers is selling an upgrade. By making this purchase, you are guaranteeing a big ticket sale, which if it wasn't offered, the customer might not be willing to spend as much. So as with any other sale, the best sale is to someone who might not otherwise make the purchase. Just like anything else on cruise lines, some people are helping others keep costs down. If there were no "people in between" there would be no Cheers package. (or the price would just keep rising) So those are the people who are subsidizing the heavier drinkers, and they are mostly buying the "upgrade" for convenience. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2019 at 10:18 AM, l8cruiser said:

I am not gonna say I regret it persay ... I enjoyed having it but will I get it again no I won't because on days I was just not up to drinking I felt like I needed to drink because I paid for the package and so it was not worth it ... But I tested it out on a small cruise -- Now when we have multiple rooms and hubby is one room and me in the other with our kids split amongst us then I will get it for him as its totally worth it for him

12 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi 

The question, no matter how it's phrased...and it has been posed many times, is "Is Cheers Worth it for me?"

For me it's clear. If you are not one to drink a moderate amount of alcohol every day, then Cheers is not for you. You are much better off not purchasing it and just paying as you go.

For those that like to drink a lot, and will drink alcohol every day, "Cheers" is well worth it. 

Now it's obvious, if those that didn't drink much, didn't purchase it, and only those that made full use (or close) were making the purchase, then Carnival would be losing money and would either discontinue or keep raising the price.

So why would they continue to offer this program. The answer would seem clear enough. There are enough people in between that are making it profitable for them. I believe it is those, that are in the camp of feeling that they are probably/maybe breaking even are those that are making it "worth it" for Carnival to offer the package. The bottom line, is that many of those people, are making as much use of what they can get just because they "have already paid" for it. They buy drinks they don't like, they try to drink a little more than they would normally, etc... but the fact is, as with any bar, Carnival has a tremendous markup on their alcohol sales. What they are doing with packages such as Cheers is selling an upgrade. By making this purchase, you are guaranteeing a big ticket sale, which if it wasn't offered, the customer might not be willing to spend as much. So as with any other sale, the best sale is to someone who might not otherwise make the purchase. Just like anything else on cruise lines, some people are helping others keep costs down. If there were no "people in between" there would be no Cheers package. (or the price would just keep rising) So those are the people who are subsidizing the heavier drinkers, and they are mostly buying the "upgrade" for convenience. 

Good Reply 👍

On 3/9/2019 at 4:41 PM, momof3cruisers said:

We did not regret getting Cheers at all, BUT it helped us decide that we would most likely not get it in the future. One of the main reasons I wanted it was to be able to try out anything we wanted without worrying about whether we would like it or not. We did that. And it was great. We felt really free to try stuff and then not drink it and get something else. My husband did fall into the trap of "getting his money's worth" a couple of days. We both had a few times of thinking we "should" order something because we had Cheers. I had a day or two that I really didn't feel like a drink, but got something because I had paid for that day. We didn't have an issue with port days though and we spent a good part of 4 out of seven days in ports.

However, now that we have a solid base for knowing for sure what we want, we feel like the main motivation isn't there. Our plan is to get discounted giftcards and apply them to our account and then order as we are comfortable. It's very much about a mindset, IMO. What we learned about ourselves is the cost of Cheers was definitely in the back of our minds as we went about our days. We would rather give ourselves a bigger drink budget than we have had in the past but with the ability to get our money back if it's not used up.

I often suggest something similar, but you phrased it better than I do.  Obviously, since Joebucks states he's never read it here before 😉 

We each have different styles of cruising and different spending priorities.  It's nice that we have options for how to give Carnival our money 😄 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

I often suggest something similar, but you phrased it better than I do.  Obviously, since Joebucks states he's never read it here before 😉 

We each have different styles of cruising and different spending priorities.  It's nice that we have options for how to give Carnival our money 😄 

I was referring more to the first sentence in my quote 🙂 Normally, there are two scenarios that prevail on here.

1.) Extreme stress about the bill. Always sweating when the time comes to add nickles and dimes to my bill.

2.) Already paid $860 in drinks. Couldn't be more care-free about my alcohol spend

That's why I was shocked to read someone admit that they bought it and it didn't immediately transcend them into an uber, blissful, state of mind. People absolutely HATE to admit that they regretted purchasing it. That's what this whole thread was about.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, slinky221 said:

Wish I could say the same.  I buy Cheers and I still sneak on rum. 

I may have a problem.  

Maybe it was the way I was raised, but I don’t understand  why so many people on this website think it is okay to blatantly break Carnival’s rules. 

Of course a lot of it is Carnival’s fault. If they implemented a rule stating anyone caught sneaking alcohol on the ship will be denied boarding or kicked off the ship at the next port without any refund, the number of people sneaking on alcohol would go way down. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Maybe it was the way I was raised, but I don’t understand  why so many people on this website think it is okay to blatantly break Carnival’s rules. 

Of course a lot of it is Carnival’s fault. If they implemented a rule stating anyone caught sneaking alcohol on the ship will be denied boarding or kicked off the ship at the next port without any refund, the number of people sneaking on alcohol would go way down. 

Never driven a mile over the speed limit?  I associate their "rules" with those of us that don't mind driving a bit faster, yet safely.