Is Royal Ever Coming Back To Los Angeles/Long Beach?

4 minutes ago, Ashland said:

There were extenuating circumstances as to why Mariner struggled....H1N1 being just one of them...the timing was bad !!

The swine flu thing was only one season.  We cruised on Mariner the next summer, to the Mexican Riviera, with no swine flu issue.  The way back north to LA was cold, windy, and bumpy.  Captain Johnny said that these conditions were not unusual for that itinerary and it was not enjoyable to many of the guests. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

The newest after cruise surveys are asking “where would you like Royal to sail from?” 

San Diego and Los Angeles are among the choices. 

Both! 

34 minutes ago, Ashland said:

There were extenuating circumstances as to why Mariner struggled....H1N1 being just one of them...the timing was bad !!

Mariner was in LA more like 2 years. The are many reasons why she left economy, shore power went into affect in 2012 and the security situation in Mazatlan  etc.. The CEO at the time said the ship sailed full but onboard revenue was lacking. Simply the could make more money in Europe with ship so the pulled her out. 

39 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

If Carnival and Princess do strongly there you bet RCI will want a part of it if they can get berthing. 

Possibly, if Royal has a ship to move there that would not be making less profit at another port. 

13 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

We agree with a timing issue, economy included.

Sure hope they revisit California seriously.

I agree - did the "run" twice and would have continued a yearly winter break if available.  I added to the onboard revenue!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We really enjoy our Mexican cruises on HAL and Princess, but would really like to go there with RCCL.  If they come back to Los Angeles, I REALLY hope they add a longer Mexican itinerary that goes up into the Sea of Cortez.  Those ports, especially Loreto, and wonderful.  Plus, if it's the right season, you get to see baby whales up there!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Possibly, if Royal has a ship to move there that would not be making less profit at another port. 

Of course.  People pointing to results of nearly a decade ago are meaningless.  Royal has changed their products, their focus, and if it is profitable they will want to be back there.  For years Texas got 2nd rank ships; now Royal sees there is big money there and they are investing big money.  

Also, in business, there is the concept of simply not letting your competitor run away with the market.  You have to be in the same sandbox or ultimately you aren't seen as a player.  

I would not be surprised to see Voyager or even Freedom class ships from SoCal in the next few years.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Not just profitable, but more profitable than other ports.  Very significant difference.

Usually I agree with you, but I may disagree here.  Profitable, yes.  Hitting certain targets?  Most definitely.  But it doesn't necessarily have to be more profitable than other ports.  By participating at that port they are taking business from a competitor and building brand awareness.  So if the revenue per PAX is slightly lower but you deprive your competitor, and build brand awareness, your opportunity over years may be greater.  

I'm just saying they have to see viable business, not that there can be no other port with more profit.  If that were the case they'd fill the ships with Michael Kors purses and send them all to China tomorrow 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Usually I agree with you, but I may disagree here.  Profitable, yes.  Hitting certain targets?  Most definitely.  But it doesn't necessarily have to be more profitable than other ports.  By participating at that port they are taking business from a competitor and building brand awareness.  So if the revenue per PAX is slightly lower but you deprive your competitor, and build brand awareness, your opportunity over years may be greater.  

I'm just saying they have to see viable business, not that there can be no other port with more profit.  If that were the case they'd fill the ships with Michael Kors purses and send them all to China tomorrow 

I see your point, but wouldn't that same rationale (taking business from a competitor, etc.) apply to the ports where they make more profit?

4 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Of course.  People pointing to results of nearly a decade ago are meaningless.  Royal has changed their products, their focus, and if it is profitable they will want to be back there.  For years Texas got 2nd rank ships; now Royal sees there is big money there and they are investing big money.  

Also, in business, there is the concept of simply not letting your competitor run away with the market.  You have to be in the same sandbox or ultimately you aren't seen as a player.  

I would not be surprised to see Voyager or even Freedom class ships from SoCal in the next few years.  

I'd say Royal doesn't see things like you.  Look how long Miami sat dormant. They'll go back to CA when it makes sense, not because they are afraid of Carnival and Princess

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I'd say Royal doesn't see things like you.  Look how long Miami sat dormant. They'll go back to CA when it makes sense, not because they are afraid of Carnival and Princess

That can not possibly be true.  Important people tell him things.  Things you and I do not and are incapable of understanding.  

JC

4 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Royal also positions itself  as a leader and not a follower.  There are plenty of other ports that competitors have ships in yet Royal does not.   They know their business and their market and will make the moves that they want not blindly following the herd.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

This might be true if you are adding a new ship. If you are repositioning one, not so much. It’s supply and demand that mostly moves pricing up or down. The port you are taking the ship from lowers the cabins available which might allow the competition to raise prices, and the port you move to increases the supply that could cause the price to drop. There is no finite number of customers so the passengers you attract doesn’t mean you stole them from your competitors, some could be new cruisers.

13 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

If Carnival and Princess do strongly there you bet RCI will want a part of it if they can get berthing. 

Will see if the new ships based in California persuade the residents to cruise locally. It might force Royal to bring a ship back here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bretts173 said:

I am currently on Voyager and the staff have been told they are heading to LA in 2021.

Yes, I didn't know which boat but during a conference with Royal, they had said they were returning to LA and trying to lock down a date to either fall of 2020 or beginning of 2021. 

Interesting that its a Vision class. Was hoping it would be a Freedom class or at least back to a Voyager class.

Edited by csnarpy

17 minutes ago, csnarpy said:

Yes, I didn't know which boat but during a conference with Royal, they had said they were returning to LA and trying to lock down a date to either fall of 2020 or beginning of 2021. 

Interesting that its a Vision class. Was hoping it would be a Freedom class or at least back to a Voyager class.

First it is a ship not a boat and second as it is Voyager it is also a Voyager class ship....

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

First it is a ship not a boat and second as it is Voyager it is also a Voyager class ship....

LOL

First, a ship is a boat. cheers.

Second. I guess I misread and just had Vision in my head the entire time. Thanks for that correction, lol

12 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

There is no finite number of customers so the passengers you attract doesn’t mean you stole them from your competitors, some could be new cruisers.

New cruisers that choose Royal over a competitor have been won; the highest cost is acquiring first time business.  

15 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Water is wet.  Grass is green. 

Making sense means making money.  Never said they were afraid of Carnival or Princess.  If they see them doing well, they will want in.  Just like how here there are CVS and Walgreens on every street corner.  Once one builds; the other comes in because anything they deprive the competitor of is a win.  Not sure about up in Cocoa Beach area, but that's how it is done here in Palm Beach.  

Just now, LMaxwell said:

Water is wet.  Grass is green. 

Making sense means making money.  Never said they were afraid of Carnival or Princess.  If they see them doing well, they will want in.  Just like how here there are CVS and Walgreens on every street corner.  Once one builds; the other comes in because anything they deprive the competitor of is a win.  The first one did the heavy lifting and took the risk; the second shows up when the results have been proven.  Not sure about up in Cocoa Beach area, but that's how it is done here in Palm Beach.