Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS) Questions

I've looked through some of the older threads but they didn't have the answers I needed and one was about 6 years old.

I'm going on Spirit to New Caledonia in April and am looking at purchasing a small camera from a store in Sydney and claim the GST component via the TRS.  Having passed through the Overseas Passenger terminal only 3 times, I've never noticed a desk to make claim but some of the threads suggest there is indeed a small desk.  Is this still the case at Circular Quay OPT?

Also, the last time I used the TRS was back sometime in the bronze age and I remember the product I purchased here in Australia was subsequently sealed at the shop in a tamper-evident bag (and thus could not use it until I left Australia/passed though customs at Sydney Airport).  I remember taking this sealed bag to the airport and submitted it to the TRS desk where I was given it back after passing customers and I may have been refunded in cash or whatever; I can't remember.  Does it still work like that?  If I order a camera on the internet and tell the shop I want to claim the TRS, do they seal it and therefore, I'd need to show the Border Force person it hasn't been opened or used here?  Do they inspect the actual product?  I didn't really want to have the cart the box around (and I keep original boxes).

My check-in time is around 12:00 and the TRS FAQ says claims can't be made more than 4 hours before departure.

Any help is appreciated. 

Edited by plettza

I did this last year in Brisbane.

There was an unmanned desk where you filled out a form and put it and a copy of the invoice in an envelope and dropped it in a box.

You needed an invoice with full name and address plus GST details. After I came back, I noticed the GST refund was in my bank account.

You can definitely use the item before going. I believe that if the desk is manned you may be asked to show the item, but not necessarily.

The single invoice can be for multiple items, but has to total more than $300.

We sailed from Sydney OPT in January the TRS desk was manned at midday ( 6.00 pm departure) its right past customs just before you go on board - product does not have to be sealed - just need to have it and the tax invoice with you to claim . We claimed several items took about 3 minutes - simple and streamlined

1 hour ago, rossip said:

We sailed from Sydney OPT in January the TRS desk was manned at midday ( 6.00 pm departure) its right past customs just before you go on board - product does not have to be sealed - just need to have it and the tax invoice with you to claim . We claimed several items took about 3 minutes - simple and streamlined

The desk has been manned for every international cruise I have been on out of Sydney.

5 hours ago, Jandex said:

It’s easy. Just make sure you have the goods(do not have to be sealed) and receipts. Enjoy the cruise 😄

I put the order in last night for the camera along with a small grip, memory card and small bag all on the same order.