S.A.L.T. Silver Moon New Dining Concept

Perfectionistcruiser

This concept sounds like Earth and Ocean which has been on Seabourn for a few months now...interesting..

I never understand why folks complain so much about Muse being “big”...kinda laughable...its only 600 people.  In all honesty, it feels no different than any of the other ships....nothing is crowded....it is larger and therefore the space per passenger is pretty similar to the small ones.  Only difference we found is that folks were much more social and friendly on the Muse ...and the demographic was more diverse, good mix of ages and nationalities.....definitely our preference.  The ship is gorgeous!

Come on people...it was a joke! Look at the wink emoticon.

It's become a running joke with Chris and me, simply because we've not yet cruised on one of the bigger ships. All of our mainstream SS cruises have been on Cloud or Wind. So we pretend that the others are too big, because after all they are twice the size of the ships we've cruised on.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

When you cruise mainly on the Explorer the Muse,Moon are big-5 times as many pax.

We had no problems on board but we definitely felt that folks mixed much more easily on the Explorer.

On 3/7/2019 at 4:10 PM, Emtbsam said:

As someone who has shunned salt ever since my father had congestive heart failure in the 1970's, I wish they would find a different acronym for this new adventure.  We love the idea of eating local food and exploring local markets.  In fact one of our big disappointments years ago was that we didn't have any local salmon in Alaska.

‘Totally understand.  When I first read the report I thought “great concept, terrible acronym”.  

As usual, SS could really use some help in their marketing department.  To me, if they want to use an acronym as the name, I don’t know why they wouldn't want to tie the concept (cuisine based on where the ship is sailing) to the name, i.e. LOCAL; Land and Ocean Culinary Aspiring Locales or any other number of words that would better bring the concept to life than Sea And Land Taste.

Regarding SALT, whither David Bilsland?  Will he go the way of Lyn Farmer?

"LOCAL; Land and Ocean Culinary Aspiring Locales" - Very good Stumblefoot - are you by any chance an Advertising Copy Director?!! 

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Now, now - this is serious business.  We want SS to get it right. 

Perhaps this will suffice- 

Honest Agriculture - Good Grub - Inspired Service!!  

Alternately: 

Meals Embracing A Truly Local Organic & Appropriate Foodsource.  

Or if that doesn't Git 'Er Done:

Support Locally Unique Dining & Gastronomic Excellence!!! :classic_cool:

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, les37b said:

Tothesunset Reliably Assisting In Trashing Our Restaurant

lol

6 hours ago, les37b said:

Tothesunset Reliably Assisting In Trashing Our Restaurant

lol

Now that really is a good one - but which restaurant??!

Kindest Regards

Master Echo

• Like 1

OK, OK, I know it does no good to beat a dead horse, as they say.  Those folks also report that brevity is the soul of wit.  In this search - nay - this quest for an appropriate name (with suitably short and punchy acronym) for SS's commendable response to consumer demand for access to locally sourced and culturally appropriate cuisine responsive the the many wonderful locales they visit, let us honor the KISS principle:  Keep It Simple, Stupid.  Thus:  Globally Accessed Gourmandise!  My work here is done.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Reviving this thread to post a recent Avid Cruiser newsletter item with a preview of SALT: https://www.avidcruiser.com/2019/04/our-report-from-silversea-an-in-depth-culinary-experience/?utm_source=mailpoet&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4-16-19-Avid-Cruiser-newsletter

It sounds terrific, just the kind of thing I like. Now, to get myself booked on the Moon ...

• Like 1

Adding a photo of a Taste of Asia dish we had on the Shadow a few weeks ago, one of the top three dishes I've had in dozens of cruises:9831cadf3400981319b528bbaa551f03.jpg.099bda59d2bb977b39bce84340ff6efd.jpg

Note to RachelG; George and you have sailed on the 700 pax Voyager and Mariner multiple times.  Was on the Moon last month and at 596 pax it never felt crowded. Plus, like the Moon's public spaces, esp dining venues better than either the Voyager or Mariner.  And now that they will have Zodiacs on board--makes the Moon or Muse

even more attractive to book.

• Like 1

There is an article about S.A.L.T.  and other items on the Travel Agents Central website, detailing a presentation by Barbara Muckermann about the Moon at Seatrade last week. It confirms the change from Indochine to S.A.L.T. Kitchen and a S.A.L.T. Bar. La Dame is being relocated from deck 4 to somewhere else, becoming a 64 seat restaurant with some outside seating and the Connoisseur Corner relocating to deck 4, with both indoor and outside facility (possibly the crew area at the rear of the ship?).

If La Dame is that big it will probably loose all the intimacy that exists on the current ships, and the rationale of charging as a capacity control mechanism goes out of the window.

8 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

If La Dame is that big it will probably loose all the intimacy that exists on the current ships, and the rationale of charging as a capacity control mechanism goes out of the window.

You want to place any bets whether the per person dining charge goes away?

While I doubt they ever accept reservations for 64 people at one time, invariably, it’s going to be a very different experience for sure.  At a minimum, they are going to have to double (ideally tripling) the size of the staff working in the venue to maintain any sense of intimate service.

• Haha 1