Great Lakes with Pearl Seas Cruises?

compozer

We received a flyer from them and thought their Great Lakes/Georgian Bay cruise might be fun BUT   almost chocked when we saw the price.   We do travel alot with Princess in their suites so we are not cheap cruisers.   But $16,000 for a 11 day cruise for two was rather high.   We boat on Lake Michigan and figured we could hire a captain to take our boat for much less.   Would be very interested in anyone that has done this itinerary.   I did read some reviews about their Caba cruises but no luck with this one.   Thanks so much.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently received an interesting email from the President of the Great Lakes Passenger Boat Association.  He provided some facts about why cruise prices on the Great Lakes are so high:

•  If it is an American-flag vessel, general operating costs are generally higher (US-Flagged vessesl are expensive anywhere, not just on the Great Lakes)

•  Port costs in the Great Lakes are insanely expensive. One of the most expensive ports on the planet is (unsurprisingly) London, and Chicago, for example, is about the same price.

•  Pilotage is required even “at sea” in the Great Lakes, and is very, very expensive. Even for a five-star luxury vessel, pilotage is a shocking chunk of expenses.

But he points out that despite the expense, "the Great Lakes is a very good cruise destination.  The opinions I have heard talking to Europeans is that they were all very pleased with their experience."

• 4 months later...

I've been looking at Pearl Seas for years - just haven't gotten around to sailing with them yet. I've read very good reviews but, yes, price is high. But then, so is river cruising. That Great Lakes itinerary looks nice, as does their Canadian Maritime cruise. 

19 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

I've been looking at Pearl Seas for years - just haven't gotten around to sailing with them yet. I've read very good reviews but, yes, price is high. But then, so is river cruising. That Great Lakes itinerary looks nice, as does their Canadian Maritime cruise. 

The smaller the ship, the higher the cost of running it.  The smallest yacht cruise is still cheaper than owning a yacht!

• Like 1