Using AT&T phone plan in London?

Has anyone used their iPhone with an American AT&T plan in London? I can use my phone with WiFi anywhere, but if I want to call an Uber from Heathrow, I am afraid that WiFi will not reach/be available as we exit the airport and make our way to the Short Stay Car Park, where the Uber stand is. 

Need to buy an international plan?? Doesn't really seem worth it for the VERY short time I'd use it....

1 hour ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:Has anyone used their iPhone with an American AT&T plan in London? I can use my phone with WiFi anywhere, but if I want to call an Uber from Heathrow, I am afraid that WiFi will not reach/be available as we exit the airport and make our way to the Short Stay Car Park, where the Uber stand is. Need to buy an international plan?? Doesn't really seem worth it for the VERY short time I'd use it....

If your current domestic plan qualifies, they have an option of just $10/day abroad, but you are only charged when you are connected to international cell towers.  Otherwise, just keep your phone in Airplane mode.

As as noted in the comment above, there are a number of options. Check them out on AT&T’s web site.

(Frankly, if you are just going to make one phone call, you can simply pay for it.)

• Like 1

Have used the AT&T $10/day plan in several places in the world, and in Europe, although on an Android.  Works fine. In fact using my Android in Mexico right now, but Mexico (and Canada) are included in my plan.

If you have not used your phone outside of the US, make sure the International Data Roaming feature is turned on. When you buy a phone, that feature comes turned off from the factory. 

2 hours ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

I want to call an Uber from Heathrow, I am afraid that WiFi will not reach/be available as we exit the airport ...

Heathrow offers free wifi in the terminals. A limited duration each day.

I use the $10/day plan whenever I travel outside the US. It’s worth it to have the same access I do at home, and if I don’t use it I don’t pay. To avoid being charged for a day for things like incoming texts, I keep the phone on airplane mode unless I need to use it without WiFi. Once I use it in a day, I happily use the phone as I would at home!

It’s really a great plan, because you don’t have to think about how much time you’re using. If you use it for a minute, it’s $10. If you use it for an hour it’s $10.🙂