Cruise Critic Community
resjes

Dining with Allergies/Dietary Concerns

1 minute ago, resjes said:

I also have a mayo allergy/intolerance. I don't know if it's the dairy or what it is but I've had it for awhile. I hate the taste anyway. I'm thinking of giving the Head Waiter a list of things I can't eat and a list of things I can eat..it is obnoxious but the easiest way to do things.

That sounds like a good plan! The staff will be very accommodating to you.  I gave my waitstaff an extra tip at the end of the cruise for all of their help.  

18 hours ago, WisconsinFan said:

One other thought, you maybe able to alert them to you dietary needs by filling out this form- go the bottom for the open response where you can list your dietary needs: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

Just call up RC cust. serv. rep. and let them know about your food allergies in advance of boarding the ship.  If you have traditional dining time your waiter and the head waiter will already be aware of it before you even sit down.  If you have My time dining they'll know shortly after you sit down. They will accommodate you amazingly.  Each night at the end of the meal our head waiter came to my wife and allowed her to see the next nights menu and customize it to suit her particular food allergies. There is no worries for your food allergies, you will be well taken care of.

11 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

If you have traditional dining time your waiter and the head waiter will already be aware of it before you even sit down.

While I agree with you generally that RC does a very nice job of accommodating food allergies, I wouldn’t count on the dining team knowing your allergy before the first dinner no matter who you tell them ahead of time. On both of our RC cruises the dining team the first night was clueless about our daughter’s allergy before we told them, in spite of us calling ahead. That said, once we made them aware, they were generally very good about making sure she was well taken care of.

My advice to the OP: be patient the first night. They’ll feed you but they won’t roll out the red carpet. But once they know your needs, they’ll do a good job of meeting those needs-much better than most land-based vacations in our experience.

Also, I agree with others not to trust the food in the Windjammer as it could be cross contaminated by other guests. But the head waiters and chefs in the Windjammer will make food to order for you in a safe area (again in my experience-Oasis of the Seas), so that may be another lunch option for you.

Have a nice trip!