Cruise Critic Community
kent9xxx1

Winery-affiliated Crystal cruises

Oh well - more “swill” for the rest of us plebs 

Sounds like even the selections served in the Vintage room wouldn’t cut it for some...

I have experienced the serving of Prosecco or Sparkling wine instead of Champagne - whilst disappointing it’s soon resolved and certainly doesn’t happen on a regular basis 

Once again Wine is subjective and that included those wines that achieve 90 points.  I am not sure about others but I have had wines rated at 90 that I enjoyed and others that I did not.  And IMHO some wines are definitely overpriced and overrated.  

My own experience is as follows:

I think that Crystal offers a terrific range of inclusive wines and IMHO (subjective) far greater than what we had on Silversea and years back on Seabourn.  I also find them to be far superior than those now offered on land say at a Ritz Carlton Club Floor.

I prefer some inclusive wines over others which should not be a surprise.

When on-board I try to expand the types of wines I try which I find one of the benefits of inclusive.

I am not big on Shiraz but one of the inclusive was a Shiraz and the Sommelier recommended that I try it and it was a hit with me.  Next time another one might not be but that's OK I'll have something else.

I have had some exceptional inclusive wines and yes a couple that I would score 90.  One was a Spanish wine a few years ago.  I remember they had the Sommeliers do a blindfold test with that one and with five other wines that were at higher price points.  That one was picked by most of them as the best of the wines they tasted.

If one is looking for much fancier wines yes I would go with the Connoisseur List.

For me when I am at home I have a goal and that is to find wines at reasonable prices that IMHO are equal if not better than ones that are priced much higher.  I have friends who feel the same way.

I do give Crystal very high marks in finding wines that are quite good.  They certainly do a lot of work on this and have personnel from headquarters and from the ships who go out and meet with wineries and do lots of tasting.  To me it shows.

I did taste the bottle that the wine group allowed me to have.  I found several of the inclusive wines to be on parallel with it.

Again wine is subjective.  Closer to home my wife prefers Chardonnay and I prefer Cabernet and Merlot.  We agree on most things in life but this is one that we do not share the same taste.

Keith

23 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Interesting that "they" kept giving you the prosecco. I'd have thought that you would have "corrected" them the first time it happened and have insisted on the champagne.  I know that I always get the champagne when I ask for champagne.

I see that there are some who think Crystal is infallible and automatically assume that guests didn´t take any corrective measures.  

How many different staffs do you think I ran into that brought ¨champagne¨ to me.  Of course the ones I corrected wouldn´t try again, but each day, I have different person at lunch/dinner.  Why do you assume the problem is rectified the first time?  Wouldn 't it have been rectified the first time by another guest maybe 5 years ago?  Why first time with me?  This is an obvious directive from above to push ¨champagne¨ on unsuspecting guests.  Why is it interesting that they kept giving me the prosecco?   🤔

21 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Oh well - more “swill” for the rest of us plebs 

Sounds like even the selections served in the Vintage room wouldn’t cut it for some...

I have experienced the serving of Prosecco or Sparkling wine instead of Champagne - whilst disappointing it’s soon resolved and certainly doesn’t happen on a regular basis 

Hehe, I saw they had leoville las cases.  I think I wouldn´t fuss about it.  

I like fine wines especially reds. However i am not a wine snob. To me wines need to be drinkable or quaffable and in this respect most crystal wines meet this standard. There are about 8 to 10 reds floating around at any one time. Usually at least half of these are fine for every day drinking. My favorites are the portuguese douro, the chianti reserva, the bordeaux and the Spanish Blau. The malbec is in my opinion a little too light for a malbec.  These are way better than the house wines one would experience on other lines or on shore and in no measure could be considered swill.  If i have a special occasion then we might choose a wine from the non inclusive list. 

Crystal has a very good selection of other spirits and liquers. Very satisfied with what they present. The only suggestion i would make is for having a few local wines/beers brought aboard at each port 

cheers

14 hours ago, kent9xxx1 said:

I see that there are some who think Crystal is infallible and automatically assume that guests didn´t take any corrective measures.  

It's not that I think Crystal is infallible, and I get that there are people onboard that are spending a small fortune every sailing for their penthouses, but there also has to be some kind of realization of the economics in the big picture.  I'm spending per diems of $300-$350/day to sail on Crystal, and so are a lot of other passengers.  At those prices I'm not expecting Taittinger on demand 24/7.

This wine discussion reminds me why I drink spirits.  :classic_laugh:

Vince

40 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

It's not that I think Crystal is infallible, and I get that there are people onboard that are spending a small fortune every sailing for their penthouses, but there also has to be some kind of realization of the economics in the big picture.  I'm spending per diems of $300-$350/day to sail on Crystal, and so are a lot of other passengers.  At those prices I'm not expecting Taittinger on demand 24/7.

This wine discussion reminds me why I drink spirits.  :classic_laugh:

Vince

Vince,

Couldn't agree more, but then I've never seen you post anything that wasn't logical and rational. Wish I could get those $300-$350/day rates for a solo. Seems like everything I find is over $400, and sometimes a lot more.

I've heard some very "spirited" arguments on the relative merit of certain gins!!

Patty

Thanks, Patty...   I should have specified that those were double rates I referenced since that's how Crystal views the revenue, but I'm in the same boat (errr, literally) on paying over $400 lately if you count the supplement.  Relative to this discussion though, if you back the $400+ we're paying down to a per-berth basis on how Crystal budgets this stuff, the revenue would look even lower and more to the point about expectations vs. economics.

Good point about the gin -- I definitely stand corrected.  :classic_tongue:  I forgot about that, since I'm happy drinking _any_ of the gins on Crystal's menu, even if I have my favorites.

Vince

Kent9,

I wish you had dropped in a few years ago when a kerfuffle broke out on this board about Crystal (temporarily) changing the brand of the small bottles of ketchup and mayo they put out at the Trident Grill.  We could have used the contribution of your discerning palate to that discussion...

7 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Kent9,

I wish you had dropped in a few years ago when a kerfuffle broke out on this board about Crystal (temporarily) changing the brand of the small bottles of ketchup and mayo they put out at the Trident Grill.  We could have used the contribution of your discerning palate to that discussion...

And the change in ice cream from Dryer's (I think that is what it was) to Ben & Jerry's.  :classic_biggrin:

Keith

On 4/22/2019 at 2:34 PM, Texas Tillie said:

Vince,

Couldn't agree more, but then I've never seen you post anything that wasn't logical and rational. Wish I could get those $300-$350/day rates for a solo. Seems like everything I find is over $400, and sometimes a lot more.

I've heard some very "spirited" arguments on the relative merit of certain gins!!

Patty

Hi Patty,

Noticed that Crystal now have quite a few solo fares advertised on there web site, less than $300/ day for a gty.

Booked a long Med trip May 24th -June 19th 2020- Rome to London-Inspiring European Canvas OOCS200524-26