Ship account charges...

I was on Oasis last month. I check my account statements often. I had 4 charges on my account that weren’t mine. Charged at the Opal Theatre which I never went to. Charged for drinks even though I had the deluxe package( no drinks over $13) . I argued these charges and got the money back. But morning of deembarkation was charged$150 for towels!!! That is 6 towels. I only used 3 all week and returned all of them and scanned in. I had my card all week so no one else using it. Gone with Royal 5 times, first time I have had this issue. Anyone else having this problem?

17 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

We also got charged for towels on the last cruise, after being assured by the towel guy that we were square.  Guest Services, 6am, what fun.

Suites and Pins on Oasis dont swipe towels,  well not with their seapass😉

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Haha 1

Just now, John&LaLa said:

Suites and Pins on Oasis dont swipe towels,  well not with their seapass?

Used to be that way on other ships too, they would see the gold card and not swipe.    Don't see that much anymore.

• Thanks 1

I usually do a cash acct. And on the last nite i cash out and give a credit card.  Only erroneous charge was anthem for like $3. Let it go because we do self disembark. Not worth my time at GS. 

I also have taken to brining my own towels. I don't check any out, after hearing all the stories. 

And while staying in a full suite on harmony, we would just take a towel from the suite sun deck if we needed them. No scanning there. And just left them in our toom when done

8 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Used to be that way on other ships too, they would see the gold card and not swipe.    Don't see that much anymore.

Was on Symphony in a suite last month.  They would still scan every time. But within 24 hours, the system was crediting it back.  So I would see the charge, and then the credit negating it.

3 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Was on Symphony in a suite last month.  They would still scan every time. But within 24 hours, the system was crediting it back.  So I would see the charge, and then the credit negating it.

You're saying they would put $25 on your onboard account whenever you checked out a towel?

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

You're saying they would put $25 on your onboard account whenever you checked out a towel?

It appeared that way.  We spent most of the week on the suite deck, where we could just take towels.  But on three occasions, we were on the main pool deck and either my wife or myself would get towels, and they would scan our cards.  When I was reviewing my bill the last night, I could see the three towel charges on the appropriate days.  But always a few lines later was a credit for the same amount.  And no, we never bothered to return them.  They either ended up in the suite, and were removed by our stateroom attendant, or we dropped them in the return bin on the suite deck.

It appeared that way.  We spent most of the week on the suite deck, where we could just take towels.  But on three occasions, we were on the main pool deck and either my wife or myself would get towels, and they would scan our cards.  When I was reviewing my bill the last night, I could see the three towel charges on the appropriate days.  But always a few lines later was a credit for the same amount.  And no, we never bothered to return them.  They either ended up in the suite, and were removed by our stateroom attendant, or we dropped them in the return bin on the suite deck.

Interesting, I've never see a towel charge, except for the erroneous ones we've first seen on the bill on disembarkation morning.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Interesting, I've never see a towel charge, except for the erroneous ones we've first seen on the bill on disembarkation morning.

Maybe new ship, new system?  I can't say.  But it was unmistakable and perfectly consistent with what we did.

Frankly if they're going to insist on continuing to use the whole absurd system, I like it.  I say put the charge on every time a towel is taken out, and give the credit when it's returned.  Then you can actually see the back and forth and see where the mistake is (or isn't).

• Like 2

Maybe new ship, new system?  I can't say.  But it was unmistakable and perfectly consistent with what we did.

Frankly if they're going to insist on continuing to use the whole absurd system, I like it.  I say put the charge on every time a towel is taken out, and give the credit when it's returned.  Then you can actually see the back and forth and see where the mistake is (or isn't).

I agree, as I've mentioned before, the surprises on disembarkation morning are very annoying.

Just now, Host Clarea said:

I agree, as I've mentioned before, the surprises on disembarkation morning are very annoying.

To go off on a bit of a tangent, I honestly am at a total loss as to how this system even makes sense.  Those towels probably cost RC a couple bucks, if that.  They can easily estimate the "loss" based on how many disappear each cruise.  Take that number, divided it by the total number of paid fares.  Then, increase every fare on board by that much (I'm thinking 60 cents a fare would cover it).  Boom! They come out even!  No hassle distributing or collecting towels. No time wasted arguing with guests over erroneous charges.  Everybody wins.

I am confident I wouldn't notice if the average price of my cruises went up 60 cents!  Although, I suspect some here would!😂

13 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

That's a good idea. They could also issue a receipt when you return the towel so you could show that if the towel charge doesn't get credited.

5 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

To go off on a bit of a tangent, I honestly am at a total loss as to how this system even makes sense.  Those towels probably cost RC a couple bucks, if that.  They can easily estimate the "loss" based on how many disappear each cruise.  Take that number, divided it by the total number of paid fares.  Then, increase every fare on board by that much (I'm thinking 60 cents a fare would cover it).  Boom! They come out even!  No hassle distributing or collecting towels. No time wasted arguing with guests over erroneous charges.  Everybody wins.

I am confident I wouldn't notice if the average price of my cruises went up 60 cents!  Although, I suspect some here would!😂

There was a period of time that Royal stopped charging for towels. Many towels were left on the beach on excursions.  I remember seeing a sea of blue towels on the beach as we were sailing away from St. Croix once on Adventure,  The Hotel Director said he ran through his annual towel budget in 2 months. 

Royal started charging for towels again a few months later.

17 minutes ago, mcdni said:

That's a good idea. They could also issue a receipt when you return the towel so you could show that if the towel charge doesn't get credited.

Oh good grief no!  They finally stopped trying to hand me a stupid receipt for my drink when I'm sitting poolside.  The last thing I want is more paper!:classic_blink:

14 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

There was a period of time that Royal stopped charging for towels. Many towels were left on the beach on excursions.  I remember seeing a sea of blue towels on the beach as we were sailing away from St. Croix once on Adventure,  The Hotel Director said he ran through his annual towel budget in 2 months. 

Royal started charging for towels again a few months later.

Oh, no doubt it presents challenges.  But there has to be a better solution.  Why is it only a problem for Royal?

Never had a towel charge show up, but did have drink charges from the theatre show up that we didn’t order.  I think it happens more often than people think.  It is a pain to spend time at GS to get their mistakes corrected.

i don’t think anyone is taking towels home with them.  Who, in their right mind, would want them?

11 hours ago, Calli50 said:

I was on Oasis last month. I check my account statements often. I had 4 charges on my account that weren’t mine. Charged at the Opal Theatre which I never went to. Charged for drinks even though I had the deluxe package( no drinks over $13) . I argued these charges and got the money back. But morning of deembarkation was charged$150 for towels!!! That is 6 towels. I only used 3 all week and returned all of them and scanned in. I had my card all week so no one else using it. Gone with Royal 5 times, first time I have had this issue. Anyone else having this problem?

Yes,

On my recent Jewel cruise I was charged $4.15 every day. Charge said Windjammer. Every day had to call guest services and dispute. Same routine daily....charge appears, had to call to get it removed., GS removes it . Appears again next day. Finally had to go down the last night, get my account closed and get a zero bill.

I just booked my first Royal cruise yesterday. I have sailed Carnival and NCL. Usually there are two beach towels in my cabin. I take them to the pool/excursion. I put used beach towels on bathroom floor with bath towels. Room steward replaces both sets. As long as there are two beach towels in the room when I disembark, there is no problem. Is this not the case on Royal? This post has me rethinking....