Domed train

Debbborra

We are doing a 10 day cruise tour that gives us only one full day in Denali. Really only one day where we have discretionary time and excursions are available. The upgrade to travel by train is not available. 

The domed train is the thing I most looked forward to. I know there is a train station somewhere outside the park. Is it possible to make my own one day trip in a domed train (clearly round trip) to anywhere for my Denali day? 

Yeah, sadly I can't. I paid in full, had a hard time coordinating with work and actually getting time off. I'm completely locked in. We're arriving in Seattle on the thirteenth and embarking on the 16th.

Wow, it's less than a full day! Sheesh! 

Edited by Debbborra

3 hours ago, Debbborra said:

Is it possible to make my own one day trip in a domed train (clearly round trip) to anywhere for my Denali day? 

Nope. There's a morning train that heads to Anchorage, arriving in Anchorage that evening and an afternoon train headed to Fairbanks that arrives in Fairbanks that evening. Nothing that comes back to the Denali National Park depot the same day.

That's the problem with Cruisetours... You are stuck with their plan on their schedule.... And you are sure it's too late to cancel the cruisetour land portion and get a refund? If you could, you could put together your own trip with all the domed train rides you want...

Are you traveling in May?   What cruise line?  Most cruisetours that go to Denali have the train to or from Denali at a minimum.  The Tundra Wilderness Tour into the park will not be available in May.   You could take a shuttle bus into the park, visit the park headquarters and dog kennels, do some hiking.  There is plenty to see at Denali.  You really aren’t missing much if you don’t do the train.  It is really just a very nice transportation option for getting large numbers of people to and from the national park.  The bus is faster and still scenic.  Have a great time.

3 hours ago, Debbborra said:

Yeah, sadly I can't. I paid in full, had a hard time coordinating with work and actually getting time off. I'm completely locked in. We're arriving in Seattle on the thirteenth and embarking on the 16th.

Wow, it's less than a full day! Sheesh! 

Are you past the full refund date.  Could you cancel the entire cruisetour and then rebook just the cruise.  Then rent a car and do what you can as a DIY.

DON

We start in Seattle on June 13 and get on the boat on 6/16.

The thing about rebooking or things really are first you lose the deposit and second right now the cheapest interior cabin by itself is more than I paid for a partial ocean view with the tour. 

It's a Holland America cruise tour. 

1 hour ago, Debbborra said:

We start in Seattle on June 13 and get on the boat on 6/16.

The thing about rebooking or things really are first you lose the deposit and second right now the cheapest interior cabin by itself is more than I paid for a partial ocean view with the tour. 

It's a Holland America cruise tour. 

So, my best guess is that you are on the R8L which flies from Seattle to Fairbanks, overnight, bus to Denali, overnight, bus to Seward where you join the ship.  I am pretty familiar with HAL cruisetours and did not know that there is one that does not include the train on one leg of the trip.  You must have also taken one of their nonrefundable fares without their cancellation package.  

Did you use a TA who didn’t explain the tour or did you call the cruise line to book it?  The R6L is similar and much better includes the train and you skip Fairbanks.   

If you can’t make changes ....know that you will enjoy your time in Alaska.  June is a good time to go and hopefully you will get good weather.  Try to take a shuttle bus into Denali.  Maybe the mountain will be out!  On the cruise you will be going to Glacier Bay which is amazing.  Have fun!

The biggest mistake here,  is it's only 3 days.   The entire time is in transit.   I would suggest you TRY to cancel the land portion and then enjoy  Seward-  which you are completely missing and take the most scenic portion of the Alaska RR,   Seward/Anchorage.   

I'm sorry,  this was booked,  frankly it shouldn't even be sold in my opinion.   

Only other option is to get on the White Pass RR,  in my opinion,  the Lake Bennett trip is a highlight.   Loaded with spectacular scenery and history.  Narrow gage.   Independent is superior,  I'm a long time customer of Dyea Dave.   :)       Perhaps see what is available for your port day.  

Happily we did book the white pass railway in Skagway. My uncle who has always wanted to see Alaska seems satisfied. The good thing is they are handling all the logistics, so the portion of time we would have spent wrestling luggage is taken care of. And yhe cost of flying in and out of Seattle was very reasonable. 

6 hours ago, Katie52 said:

My husband and I are on the R6L but starting in May.  I have tried to change a couple of things with HAL but they are completely inflexible.

HAL has a lot of itineraries going on in Alaska and the Yukon.  The tours are well organized groups and there is no option for change except to choose another tour.  You will have free time once you reach your destination in Denali and Anchorage.   Be sure to check out the national park headquarters which is near the Denali train station.  There should be a free shuttle from your hotel.  Have a great time.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Katie52 said:

My husband and I are on the R6L but starting in May.  I have tried to change a couple of things with HAL but they are completely inflexible.

I think things being what they are, I am just going to try to make the best of it. If you can't change it, I guess that's the only option.