Advice on Alaska

denisefm

Do you care to read my one Alaskan Northern Lights sighting?

Sailing on the Noordam in 1990 (not the current Noordam) in the Inside Passage, around Juneau, I think.  Late one evening--but just before bedtime--the fog horn began to sound.  My thought:  WOW!  I enjoy being on deck when my ship is in fog.  I went topside and to my surprise the port side was in fog (we were sailing North), but the sky above the ship's starboard side was perfectly clear with the Northern Lights for a brief period of time.

It was a very unusual experience with one side of the ship in fog and the opposite side not and the Northern Lights in view.  It was Summer, obviously, but for whatever good luck on my part, the Northern Lights appeared.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2019 at 9:35 AM, fishin' musician said:

Whittier is actually much closer to Anchorage than Seward.  If you rent a car you will likely be returning it to the Anchorage airport.  From there you can take a shuttle bus to Whittier (Princess or other).  My thinking is that August (at least early August) may be too early for Northern Lights as it still stays light much of the night.  If Northern Lights are important consider taking one of the last Alaska cruises in mid-Sept.  Fairbanks and points north would provide more/better Northern Lights options than Anchorage.  Consider flying to Fairbanks, renting a car and returning it to Anchorage (spending a day or three in Denali on the way).  I do know that many Fairbanks hotels will wake you (if you want) when the Northern Lights make an appearance.

Thank you so much! This is super helpful!