Equinox Sunset Bar - Cigar Question

jerrie limbie

Greetings.  My Hubbie enjoys smoking a cigar in the evening after dinner. I understand there is designated area on the Equinox's  Sunset Bar for cigar smoking.  Does anyone know if this area is covered at all or is it totally open?  Thank you for your feedback.

Linda 

On some (all?) S-Class ships smoking is allowed in an open area to one side of the Sunset Bar but not at the bar itself.  There are some tables with ash trays.  On Edge this is the case as well.  But not on M-Class ships because of the close proximity of cabins on the decks below.  I would assume yes on Equinox however I have not yet been on that ship so another recent passenger will need to verify.

Edited by TeeRick
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jerrie limbie said:

Greetings.  My Hubbie enjoys smoking a cigar in the evening after dinner. I understand there is designated area on the Equinox's  Sunset Bar for cigar smoking.  Does anyone know if this area is covered at all or is it totally open?  Thank you for your feedback.

Linda 

The area where the cigar smoking is allowed on the port side back aft of the Sunset Bar is not covered.  There is a small covered area, only by a foot or two, on the bulkhead by the men's room on the port side where most people stand during inclement weather, but if the wind is blowing, you will get wet.

Wine-O is correct on the Cigar smoking area.  When the ship is underway, the wind will claim most of your cigar unless you can shield it well.  The best way to enjoy it is to either get back early (or stay on board) during port calls.  I found it fairly empty during those times.

Could somebody post a picture from the sunset bar down into the aft balconies?  We are on deck 10 on the Equinox and I'm curious how much each ceiling overhangs the balcony below.  I know they are terraced but how much?

On 3/7/2019 at 10:22 AM, jerrie limbie said:

Thank you for the replies. It sounds like cigar smoking is not very good at it will probably be wind most of the time. 

At the top of the photo, you can see the slight overhang.  I think this may have been on the smoking side ... sometimes quite a few smokers, sometimes none. The ship was underway ... and not windy here that day.  It is really going to depend on the weather on your particular sailing.  Towards the very aft of the ship, there is a set of chairs around a round table ... completely uncovered back there.  

image.thumb.png.3d7599cb8dbca54162bbf9cadb85f51b.png

2 hours ago, petefoss said:

Could somebody post a picture from the sunset bar down into the aft balconies?  We are on deck 10 on the Equinox and I'm curious how much each ceiling overhangs the balcony below.  I know they are terraced but how much?

Sorry I cannot find a photo from up above down but we were aft on deck 9 on the Solstice and I would say if you were on the couple of feet at the edge of your balcony, anybody from above can see you ... if that is your concern.  I do remember having room to be on your balcony tucked under the ceiling above, though.  This photo may give you some idea .. maybe?  

IMG_3780.thumb.JPG.b8b61df661d4a96bc8002bd8d26cd617.JPG

This happened a couple years ago and I can't remember which ship but one night I walked out of the buffet  to the rear rail and looked down. A couple was having a romantic moment on their balcony. I called my buddy over and after observing we agreed it was better than going to the show that night. We were just wondering who was more disappointed, him or her!LOL 

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Sorry I cannot find a photo from up above down but we were aft on deck 9 on the Solstice and I would say if you were on the couple of feet at the edge of your balcony, anybody from above can see you ... if that is your concern.  I do remember having room to be on your balcony tucked under the ceiling above, though.  This photo may give you some idea .. maybe?  

IMG_3780.thumb.JPG.b8b61df661d4a96bc8002bd8d26cd617.JPG

thanks that's a big help,

On 3/9/2019 at 7:34 PM, diesel1973 said:

This happened a couple years ago and I can't remember which ship but one night I walked out of the buffet  to the rear rail and looked down. A couple was having a romantic moment on their balcony. I called my buddy over and after observing we agreed it was better than going to the show that night. We were just wondering who was more disappointed, him or her!LOL 

More than likely this was on an M-Class ship which has more open viewing of the aft balconies from above.

On 3/7/2019 at 10:51 AM, mfs2k said:

I'd like to be smoking my cigars there, on Equinox before or after dinner when I board in 2 weeks. 

Does anyone know how late the bar stays open? 

I think until midnight unless the weather is a problem.  You can also smoke outside in a section of deck 5 and get a drink at the Ensemble Bar and take it outside with you,

31 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

More than likely this was on an M-Class ship which has more open viewing of the aft balconies from above.

Most likely on the S-Class.  The M-Class balconies are covered with canvas 1/2 way back, so much more private whereas the S-Class aft balconies are mostly completely open, except for the ones directly below Deck 14, which has a shaded portion.

28 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I think until midnight unless the weather is a problem.  You can also smoke outside in a section of deck 5 and get a drink at the Ensemble Bar and take it outside with you,

Cigars only at the Sunset Bar, port side, except you have some inconsiderate people who smoke cigars anywhere in the smoking sections.  This policy needs to be enforced, especially on the pool deck smoking section.

• Like 1

Actually not sure the rule on cigar smoking was ever ruled out recently at any smoking area. For the last five or so years I've never seen anyone asked to put a cigar out as long as there were in a designated smoking area on the ship. They sell cigars at most of the bars on the ship and will supply cutters and cigar torches for lighting cigars.  

3 hours ago, korryp said:

They sell cigars at most of the bars on the ship and will supply cutters and cigar torches for lighting cigars.  

Torch lighters are one of the banned items to bring onboard and they are a necessity if you want to light a cigar outside, on a moving ship, or on a beach.  Do they really sell them at the bars?

Also, any chance they sell Cuban cigars on board for the Caribbean cruises?  (I can get some in Cayman Isl. )

They don’t sell lighters but have them at the Sunset bar to light cigars. They are banned but I’ve never had one taken from me. I know in Europe I’ve bought Cuban cigars and brought them back on board but I’m sure they don’t sell them. 

• Thanks 1

5th deck. Covered but Smokey. Also only 8 or so seats. Not very comfortable but convient . Sunset bar can be a little windy at night. Bar open and comfy seats. We love mast bar but it is completely deserted at night & no bar service but you can still enjoy the tables and open air 

On 3/11/2019 at 3:00 PM, mfs2k said:

Torch lighters are one of the banned items to bring onboard and they are a necessity if you want to light a cigar outside, on a moving ship, or on a beach.  Do they really sell them at the bars?

Also, any chance they sell Cuban cigars on board for the Caribbean cruises?  (I can get some in Cayman Isl. )

Never had a problem with a torch lighter on a ship. Now my factory key remote that has a spare key that slides into it...that I have been searched by security several times for...go figure. They say it looks like a concealed knife ...really...its a 1" key. But never had issue with torch and cutter going through the scanner.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 1

Yes, there are specific areas for Cigars and they are restricted in certain smoking areas. I wish people wouldn't post incorrect information. 

It's generally in the daily paper.