Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
hobbyfarmer2

Onboard credits in $CAD - conversion rate?

Recommended Posts

The personalizer gives us an option of buying $125 in Canadian funds of onboard credit.  There is no option for purchasing in $USD.  Does this shup up as $100 in $USD or with an exchange rate applied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

The personalizer gives us an option of buying $125 in Canadian funds of onboard credit.  There is no option for purchasing in $USD.  Does this shup up as $100 in $USD or with an exchange rate applied.

Should have said a different amount using current change rate other than just converting to fixed $100 $USD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi - for $125 CDN you will get $100 US.  The rate to buy OBC is the rate that Princess was using when you booked you cruise.  Given how poorly our dollar is doing, a 25% exchange rate is a good deal! 

 

We always buy as much OBC as we think we will need on board, pre-pay our gratuities (as this is at the same rate).  It's a good deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don’t use all the OBC do you go to Guest Services the last night of the cruise to get the cash or how does that work on Princess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jtdlmc said:

If you don’t use all the OBC do you go to Guest Services the last night of the cruise to get the cash or how does that work on Princess?

 

If less than $25 you can get the balance at guest services, otherwise you will receive a cheque in 4-6 weeks.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, goofy559 said:

Hi - for $125 CDN you will get $100 US.  The rate to buy OBC is the rate that Princess was using when you booked you cruise.  Given how poorly our dollar is doing, a 25% exchange rate is a good deal! 

 

We always buy as much OBC as we think we will need on board, pre-pay our gratuities (as this is at the same rate).  It's a good deal.

 

That is a good deal we are paying $130 for $100.  Still better than the bank rate and even better than credit card rate.  We plan on getting any money left over from the casino at the end.  Just play the amount left and then cash out if anything left when you are done playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Your exchange rate is set when you book your cruise, yours is $125 CDN for $100 US when you Cruise was booked in CDN$.  You will receive a card in your cabin stating that $100 OBC is on your account for every $125 you have purchased.  The card is just to inform you, you don’t have to do anything with the card.

 

Other cruise lines when ordering OBC, charge you in US$ and you credit card will charge their exchange rate at time of purchase.  At least with Princess you know what your cost will be.

 

I have a cruise with $130 CDN for $100 US and another at $125 for $100 US.

 

If you have left over OBC over $25, Princess will send a US cheque to you.  

 

I go go to the casino, set up a casino account, play a little (so they can not say only using as a cash machine) and cash out my OBC and receive US$.

Edited by phabric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...