Short Port Visit - The Baths Possible???

OT-Miami

Our group of four is considering a visit to the Baths in Virgen Gorda during our Celebrity Equinox visit to Tortola. Since we are only in port until 4:00, a ship-sponsored excursion would be ideal.  I’ve seen previous threads mention Celebrity excursions to the Baths, but there is nothing currently offered for our sailing.

Speedy's Ferry service has a package that includes round-trip ferry to Virgen Gorda and round-trip taxi to the Baths National Park, but their earliest return ferry departs Virgen Gorda at 3:30 so that’s a no-go (pier-running is not my idea of an adventurous vacation!)

My online research tells me that there are other companies offering ferry service to Virgen Gorda, and there appear to be plenty of taxis, so I'm wondering if we would have enough time to do this on our own if we need to be back onboard by 3:30.  Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.  TIA :classic_biggrin:

Edited by OT-Miami

Looks like you are in port 7 -4 on a Wed.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/tortola-island-port-35?tab=schedule&month=2019-10#schedule

Speedy's and Smith's have a 10AM departure from Road Town and a 2:15 return from VG arriving Road Town 2:45. So you'd get ~3 hours at the Baths, and have a little time to shop near the cruise port, or grab a cold beer and a quick bite at Pusser's Road Town Pub.

You can get the Speedy's taxi package for convenience or pay the driver yourself, either way taxi fares are $6pp each way.

Edited by blue_water

I was there last week. We took the 9am Speedys Ferry out of Roadtown and took their 12:40 ferry back. The only two times returning are 12:40 and 3:30. The $30 rt price includes the taxi on the VG side to get to the Baths and back to the ferry dock. We had more than enough time to explore and swim. The nice thing about taking the 12:40 back to Roadtown is that it gave us time for a relaxing lunch (and some painkillers). 

• Thanks 1

Yes June's times for Speedy's are correct, although it's strange that the taxi fares are included in the $30 pass as the taxi is $6 each way on VG. May be something new to promote their services..

Smith's has a 2:15 PM departure from VG arriving Road Town 2:45 PM, that would give you another 1.5 hrs to visit Savannah Bay or have lunch and drinks in Spanishtown. You would have to buy two one-way ferry tickets, one from Speedy's (9AM departure), and one from Smith's for the 2:15 return. That would cost is $20pp each way, but many do that to get more time on VG.

Enjoy your visit!

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to follow this because my husband and I are trying to do the Baths at Virgin Gorda on our own. I understand that we take a ferry first and then a taxi to get us to the Baths once we get off of the ferry, but how how do we get to the Ferry? Is it a short walk from the port that is safe, or do we take a taxi to get to the ferry?  Also, where do I find these ferry schedules?  We are going to be on the Carnival Sunrise on Friday, June 14th. We are the only ship in port that day! Once we get to the Baths, is their an entry fee? How is the snorkeling there?  Should we bother to bring our own equipment, or will that be too hard to carry while trying to navigate the hike down to the Baths?  Thanks so much for any help that you can give me!  Michelle

17 hours ago, mompells said:

I am trying to follow this because my husband and I are trying to do the Baths at Virgin Gorda on our own. I understand that we take a ferry first and then a taxi to get us to the Baths once we get off of the ferry, but how how do we get to the Ferry? Is it a short walk from the port that is safe, or do we take a taxi to get to the ferry? 

Hi Michelle,

10 minute walk to the ferry terminal, just ask for directions.

Also, where do I find these ferry schedules? 

https://www.bviferryservices.com/

https://www.bviferries.com/speedys-ferryschedule

We are going to be on the Carnival Sunrise on Friday, June 14th. We are the only ship in port that day! Once we get to the Baths, is their an entry fee? How is the snorkeling there?  Should we bother to bring our own equipment, or will that be too hard to carry while trying to navigate the hike down to the Baths?  Thanks so much for any help that you can give me!  Michelle

• Like 1

The walk is safe but it is sort of through some construction areas. They are rebuilding the waterfront area there which was destroyed by the hurricane. If anyone in your party has a wheelchair or walker it will be slow going. As for snorkeling at the baths, it is good but just remember that you need to carry everything on your back. Some of the spots are very tight and some are through water. We had a great time without snorkeling but those who did saw many types of fish. 

• 2 months later...

Our ship next month will be in port from 8-5.  Final boarding should be 4:30.  Is taking the 3:30 Speedy ferry back from Virgin Gorda doable?  Or is it pushing the clock too dangerously? From what I have read, the ferry takes 30-35 minutes to get from VG to Tortola. Then it's a 10 minute walk to the cruise terminal. Is this accurate?  If we decide to not chance the 3:30 ferry back, we will have to take the 1:45 Sensation ferry and lose 1 hr and 45 minutes at the Baths.

13 hours ago, mpcaruth said:

Our ship next month will be in port from 8-5.  Final boarding should be 4:30.  Is taking the 3:30 Speedy ferry back from Virgin Gorda doable?  Or is it pushing the clock too dangerously? From what I have read, the ferry takes 30-35 minutes to get from VG to Tortola. Then it's a 10 minute walk to the cruise terminal. Is this accurate?  If we decide to not chance the 3:30 ferry back, we will have to take the 1:45 Sensation ferry and lose 1 hr and 45 minutes at the Baths.

The 3:30 return is certainly doable, and if no delays you’d be back to the ship by ~4:30. The ferries are very reliable, but if there is even a slight delay at either end you could be looking for a flight to your next port (IF you carried your passports with you)! So it is your choice.

If you are in port on a week day the Sensations 8:30 AM and 1:45 PM you get at least 4 hrs free time so not too bad...

We would return early and head to Brewers Bay for the gorgeous beach and a drink and a cheeseburger in paradise. The kitchen has just re-opened at Nicole’s beach bar - Yea!

How far away is Brewer's Bay from the Port?  Would we just take a taxi to Brewer's Bay after we get off of the ferrry and then another taxi back to the Port after we are done at Brewer's Bay?  Or is Brewer's Bay walkable back to the Port?

The nicer beaches like Brewers are 20 - 25 min taxi. Shared safari taxi fare is ~$8pp each way, taxis will be available at the dock and at the beach. When getting off the ship a coordinator or drivers will guide you to a taxi going to Brewers...