Shoes Recommendations for Cobblestone Streets

Mimiya11

Ok I'm glad I'm not the only one who is weird about socks.  :)  I'm definitely a new convert, I din't realize that good socks could make such a difference.   I only have two pairs of the wrightsocks right now (boy are they expensive)  but I plan on buying a couple more before our next trip.   I haven''t tried smart wool yet, I bought a pair on Amazon several years ago but didn't realize at the time that they came in specific sizes....  Going to hit up REI this weekend with my annual refund check... which is pretty small, as I almost always buy stuff on sale there. ;(

9 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Ok I'm glad I'm not the only one who is weird about socks.  🙂  I'm definitely a new convert, I din't realize that good socks could make such a difference.   I only have two pairs of the wrightsocks right now (boy are they expensive)  but I plan on buying a couple more before our next trip.   I haven''t tried smart wool yet, I bought a pair on Amazon several years ago but didn't realize at the time that they came in specific sizes....  Going to hit up REI this weekend with my annual refund check... which is pretty small, as I almost always buy stuff on sale there. ;(

I get my all my socks at REI!!   I have to make a pilgrimage there soon to replace some of my socks that now have holes in the toes after years of service.   Some of the REI branded wool casual socks are good-wearing, too.   My annual refund check went toward paying for some camping equipment - going low-tech for this summer's vacation. (Thank you to my US National Parks Senior Pass!!)

9 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I get my all my socks at REI!!   I have to make a pilgrimage there soon to replace some of my socks that now have holes in the toes after years of service.   Some of the REI branded wool casual socks are good-wearing, too.   My annual refund check went toward paying for some camping equipment - going low-tech for this summer's vacation. (Thank you to my US National Parks Senior Pass!!)

Love REI, I actually like a lot of their clothing as well.   Plus the store makes me feel like this bada** outdoors woman, (which I"m not lol)

Thanks so much for all the great recommendations!!  Also appreciate the added recommendation regarding buying special socks as I always seem to get blisters after walking for hours, even in shoes/sneakers that have been comfortable in the past.  

I now regularly travel with blister pads in anticipation, put all the ointments on my feet too...sigh....  

If the socks work, that would be fantastic!   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mimiya11 said:

Thanks so much for all the great recommendations!!  Also appreciate the added recommendation regarding buying special socks as I always seem to get blisters after walking for hours, even in shoes/sneakers that have been comfortable in the past.  

I now regularly travel with blister pads in anticipation, put all the ointments on my feet too...sigh....  

If the socks work, that would be fantastic!   

So far for me they have  :)   Huge difference 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/9/2019 at 8:13 PM, Bizmark'sMom said:

Dansko and Naot are my go-to brands for my long, narrow canoe feet. (11A - try to find that in the store!)  Taos does a great job with their sandals, and I wore a pair of their boots all over Austria and Germany last December. Chacos are also fantastic. For just a walking around lace-up shoe, I like Merrel hiking shoes in the most neutral color I can find

Whatever brands you look at, you want a sturdy sole and some decent arch support.

I second the Dansko recommendation. I have a pair of lace up loafers and a pair of slip on loafers, and have worn them both while walking miles and miles on various trips - including over cobblestones. They are great quality and are the best multipurpose walking shoes I've ever owned. 

Still wearing a pair of Clark’s purchased for my first trip to Europe (2008). I am afraid they should soon be retired!  A Mary Jane sort of style, they did well on varying terrain.

Ecco sandals are my go-to for warmer climates.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
3 hours ago, jandlcruise said:

Lois this was very helpful-even recommendations for socks! Thanks!

Glad it helped!  One of the things I love about these boards--you can get some great information:classic_biggrin:

• 1 month later...

What a great thread!  Thanks for the tip about the Abeo shoes; I'll go try some out at the Walking Company.  

My all time favorite shoe is actually my riding boot with a birkenstock orthotic inside: Ariat Terrain Boot.  Not cute, but terriffic support and comfort. They've saved me from turning my ankle many times.  I'll probably take them for shore excursions.

For on ship, I just bought some Munro Pisces  and Taos Rita.  Thank goodness there are actually shoes with built in arch support that look nice these days