Athem going to Miami not CocoCay

On 3/8/2019 at 12:23 PM, Croozin Soozin said:

I’m on both - the 15th and 23rd. Was looking forward to Coco Cay, but I’ll get over it!  LOL. Just happy to be on the Anthem for 15 nights - solo!   It’s going to be nice getting away from the snow!

See you on board!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Nobody's being snippy...but as a seasoned traveler...you would (should) know that construction jobs are commonly delayed...and you apparently booked within 6 months of the original completion date. Risk is risk.

How do you figure that?  gerig said they booked 18 months ago (September 2017).  The original completion date was Fall of 2018.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

How do you figure that?  gerig said they booked 18 months ago (September 2017).  The original completion date was Fall of 2018.

...and the opening is March 2019...within 6 months after Fall 2018.

The rest in May 2019. No way would I book a cruise to a destination that close to an opening date.

With that much lead time...would have rebooked for a later date...and likely they'd accommodate based on it not being fully open until May 2019.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

59 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

...and the opening is March 2019...within 6 months after Fall 2018.

The rest in May 2019. No way would I book a cruise to a destination that close to an opening date.

With that much lead time...would have rebooked for a later date...and likely they'd accommodate based on it not being fully open until May 2019.

You said "you apparently booked within 6 months of the original completion date".  They booked one year out from the original completion date (fall 2017 versus fall 2018).

Actually...your post could be interpreted in 2 ways.  I see your point now.  They booked a cruise that was 6 months out.  But they performed the booking one year out.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Actually...your post could be interpreted in 2 ways.  I see your point now.  They booked a cruise that was 6 months out.  But they performed the booking one year out.

OK.  I do feel badly for anyone who will be disappointed by the construction delay...however those things happen on land all the time, let alone on an ocean island. 

This hurricane season will hopefully be less traumatic than the last few years, in terms of both frequency and severity.  The last thing needed by anyone would be a major storm at Coco Cay.

While the prices are certainly better during summer months...taking the risk of weather cancellations from June 1 - November 1 isn't worth it to us.

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

You said "you apparently booked within 6 months of the original completion date".  They booked one year out from the original completion date (fall 2017 versus fall 2018).

I realize it was not worth arguing with someone with a set mindset.  I booked my cruise October 2017 long before there was even a mention of Coco Cay.  When they came out with Coco Cay last summer I really could care less about all the pools and slides as  that part of Coco Cay as I had no interest in those things.  Royal Caribbean hired the contractors to deliver the pier which was delayed from the Fall then  the Winter, however Royal kept informing clients it would be finished on set dates which didn't materialize.    On the last Anthem bahamas cruise the Captain mentioned it would be the last time they would tender there that the next Bahamas cruise on 3-15-19  the ship should be docked.   Evidently Royal doesn't even tell their employees the truth.  I have been on a cruise when there was a mechnical issue and we couldn't reach the ports of call on the itinerary and also on the Harmony after the fall hurricanes of 2017 and totally understood the situation.  This situation is unacceptable

There's so much to do in Miami that I'd be very happy going there as a substitute instead of Nassau or Freeport. I get the frustration over not getting to CocoCay as everything is included, but Miami is wonderful. Take the free shuttle to Miami Beach, have some cocktails during happy hour, a nice lunch and relax.

• Like 1

Apparently when someone wants no accountability to do their own research and keep current on their own planned events (including information made public for many months now as documented in this thread)...they feel so much better to chastise someone else, like a cruise line.  That kind of information allows folks to pivot and change plans accordingly. Those who can make the effort to keep abreast of public news tend to get less frustrated/surprised. 

Happy sailing.

15 minutes ago, toad455 said:

There's so much to do in Miami that I'd be very happy going there as a substitute instead of Nassau or Freeport. I get the frustration over not getting to CocoCay as everything is included, but Miami is wonderful. Take the free shuttle to Miami Beach, have some cocktails during happy hour, a nice lunch and relax.

Indeed. Some folks like sucking a lemon while others make lemonade.

Congrats on your positive outlook. 

9 hours ago, lizzy911 said:

I am on this cruise and there has been robust discussion in a group of 300+ who will be on this sailing. Overall,  everyone agrees that as described within the cruise contract, Royal CAN do this (caveat: EU citizens potentially have more protection as this was advertised as a Bahamas cruise).

However, two points also noted:

1) Mariner sailing received compensation for this same situation a few days before we dock. The claim by Royal Caribbean is this is because 50% of their ports will be missed. But for this sailing, 33% of the ports will be missed, so that is not incredibly convincing as an arguably to me. Arguably Grand Bahama Island (Mariner replacement port) is much better than Miami (note that Grand Bahama is not an option for our ship due to size), so the Mariner receiving a day's refund for their cruise is making people upset when we are facing the same situation.

2) Unlike a change due to weather, this change is Royal's "fault". They didn't properly account for pier and Perfect Day time overruns and now are scrambling to finish. Our sailing's docking at Coco Cay is collateral damage.

Because of #2, it is BAD BUSINESS to offer little in the way of compensation (a shuttle ride, cool). Can they do this, of course. But in the age of social media, we know about item #1 and that justifiably makes people upset. 

Also note - I personally am not particularly upset about the change. I love South Beach and don't have the drink package. I already have plans for Miami that I am more excited about than my Coco Cay plans.

The follow was suggested as fair compensation:

1) Refund a day of drink package for those who purchased (they planned on using on Coco Cay and cannot in Miami - of course CAN be used on the ship but that is not the same as at port)

2) Refund a day of Internet for those who purchased as we will be in the US an additional day

3) Token OBC ($25 a person?) to cover lunch at Miami (once again we COULD eat on board but this would be a nice offer of Royal Caribbean)

Of course being Cruise Critic people are focused on the contract language, could be worse, etc. That's fine for people to be that way. I understand. I have missed many ports due to weather and had itinerary changes due to hurricanes. I do think it would be in Royal's best interest to offer more, but if they don't oh well. It doesn't matter much to me but it does to others and Royal will have to make that calculation for themselves.

This is a wonderful post. 

Royal keeps making the same mistake: they think they are in the cruise business when in actuality they are in the customer service business and they suck at that part. Especially when things go wrong. This is where Disney is especially good. 

7 minutes ago, BigHouseFootball said:

Royal keeps making the same mistake: they think they are in the cruise business when in actuality they are in the customer service business and they suck at that part. Especially when things go wrong. 

This is where Disney is especially good. 

WOW - history shows 75% complaint posts about Royal Caribbean...but listing them as a favorite cruise line.

It explains the roaring cheers about  someone else's totally negative post.

It's fair to assume that when you pay twice the price or more on Disney...people's expectations can be higher. Some folks take the critic part of Cruise Critic too seriously.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

22 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

WOW - history shows 75% complaint posts about Royal Caribbean...but listing them as a favorite cruise line.

It explains the roaring cheers about  someone else's totally negative post.

It's fair to assume that when you pay twice the price or more on Disney...people's expectations can be higher. Some folks take the critic part of Cruise Critic too seriously.

Haha Thanks for breaking down my post history. I’ll be sure to list that stat line in my signature. 

Just because Royal is my preferred line doesn’t mean I defend them to the end. They have a good product in terms of ships but lack in service. 

I sail Royal for their ships not for their customer service. I know they lack in it so I come prepared with everything printed off in case I need to show anything. And I have had to do it several times. I shouldn’t have to do that. 

9 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Miami instead of CocoCay is a lousy substitute.  Royal provides a gorgeous beach day with meal versus being dropped at a commercial port in a hectic and overpriced city with nothing provided.  Actually they may run shuttles to Bayside Marketplace. 

Still.  Lousy replacement. 

I agree!  

1 hour ago, BigHouseFootball said:

I sail Royal for their ships not for their customer service. I know they lack in it so I come prepared with everything printed off in case I need to show anything. And I have had to do it several times. I shouldn’t have to do that. 

Happy Sailing.

Our March 28 Grandeur cruise was changed to an overnight in Nassau some time ago.  [already stopping in Miami] We assume it is because of the construction.  I have been to Nassau too many times  and it was never a favorite port.  On a previous stop there we had a late sailaway.  After dinner DH and I decided to take a walk along the main street.  It was very sketchy after the sun went down.  So, we will not take advantage of the overnight. 

You were on a TA in November due to weather all 3 of our ports were changed. [Lisbon, Valencia Ponta Delgado] for 3 other ports [2 canary islands and St Maartin].  They said the ship needed to pull away from the Med to get in front of a storm  We had 2 days notice.  There was another ship leaving northern Europe at the same time and had there stops changed, too.  

The other ship pax got OBC but our ship did not.  Plenty of people contacted RCL CS and GS onboard.  The party line was we had booked a European cruise and the port stops were still European. That is technically correct--but, St Maartin is a huge stretch. :classic_huh:

But we were on a cruise and we had a good time. 🙂

I just wish they were consistent in what they tell you and what they give 1 ship vs another.  It will not stop us from sailing.

Haven't read through this entire thread, so my apologies if this has already been said.  I was on the Mariner 3/4-3/8.  We 

tendered over and back to Coco Cay.  Once everyone was back on board, the captain told us that we were the last cruise to use the tenders and he would be conducting a practice docking to test the pier and equipment used to disembark passengers.

While I was on Coco Cay, the Beach bed concierge told us that no ships were going to be going to Coco Cay for a week while they finished the pier, completed and opened phase 1 of the new construction.  He said ships that were suppose to stop in Coco Cay were most likely going to Miami.

Hope this helps.

Terri

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2019 at 2:30 PM, gerig said:

royal royally screwed up the renovation of coco cay 

How?  Have you been there to assess the construction?  I have friends who were there last week and had a great time.  Or is your determination of "royally screwed up" based solely on the fact that an itinerary was changed?

38 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

How?  Have you been there to assess the construction?  I have friends who were there last week and had a great time.  Or is your determination of "royally screwed up" based solely on the fact that an itinerary was changed?

Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner! 👍

1 hour ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner! 👍

The cruise line is responsible as the are the company paying for the renovation plus they are relying on that island as numerous cruises have coco cay listed as a port.  That is how they are responsible.  If you build an apartment building and lease the apartments out for a certain date but construction is not completed would you expect to your lessees to pay rent for something not received.  

1 minute ago, gerig said:

The cruise line is responsible as the are the company paying for the renovation plus they are relying on that island as numerous cruises have coco cay listed as a port.  That is how they are responsible.  If you build an apartment building and lease the apartments out for a certain date but construction is not completed would you expect to your lessees to pay rent for something not received.  

The cruise line also looses a ton of easy revenue at Coco Cay vs. Nassau- so it's not as if they suffer, too, when they force ships away from the island.  Just like when any one of us messes up at work and there's a delay for one reason or another.

Sure, RCI is responsible, but they suffer a lot for it.

• Like 1