Electric Scooters

Kansas Gal

After returning from our recent cruise on the Regal, I'm beginning to think there needs to be some limits put on electric scooters.  We had a man down the corridor from us who would sail by very rapidly.  You really needed to stick your head out and look and listen before stepping out.  Another instance occurred in the buffet area, when a woman on a scooter obviously going too fast cut a corner too sharply and knocked over several chairs before running into a table.  I realize they are a great convenience for some people, but they are also a hazard to others is not used responsibly.

9 minutes ago, Kansas Gal said:

After returning from our recent cruise on the Regal, I'm beginning to think there needs to be some limits put on electric scooters.  We had a man down the corridor from us who would sail by very rapidly.  You really needed to stick your head out and look and listen before stepping out.  Another instance occurred in the buffet area, when a woman on a scooter obviously going too fast cut a corner too sharply and knocked over several chairs before running into a table.  I realize they are a great convenience for some people, but they are also a hazard to others is not used responsibly.

You didn't by chance get any video of that corner cutter did you? 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, jlp20 said:

As far as the photo and remark about the dinning rooms, this is where the SHIP'S STAFF PUT THEM. Once seated, dinning room staff store the scooter where THEY want.

I never accused the scooter user. No need to yell "SHIP STAFF PUT THEM." What I said is "What the cruise ships need more than ever before is dedicated parking places for these scooters. If you are not sitting on it then it needs an as designed place to put it that is not in the walkways and around entrances to dining and shopping venues."

What ever ship architect thinks the entrance to Da Vinci is a proper place to stow electric scooters needs their creativity checked. Ships will have scooters left in public spaces, lets account for that and provide appropriate parking areas.

I really appreciate that People can bring/use an electric scooter on board ships.  This allows them to continue traveling instead of staying at home.  And, my long term plans are to continue going on Cruises, even if I have to ride a scooter my self.    However...

I wish that the scooters had a bell that sounded when the wheels turned.  That way they will not sneak up on you from behind. 

One formal night while watching the show of passengers pouring into stacked glasses from the deck above I was nailed from behind in the left leg hard enough to break the skin and push me against the rail.  The driver then hit several other people standing in the crowd including a waiter with a tray of drinks.  The tray went fly and the glasses fell and broke.  Lucky, no one was hurt very badly from the impacts. The driver then left the scene as fast as the scooter could go.  I still have a scar on my leg to remind me. 

Bob

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jlp20 said:

This is on the Princess thread. On Princess, pax are required to keep in their cabins at night.

True, but there is always someone who insists on parking their scooter in the stairwell or hallway, and it is a real safety hazard when they do.

I'm wondering who assumes liability should there be an incident involving personal injury or property damage caused by an electric scooter driver.  The driver, who should be required by Princess to carry proper insurance?  Or Princess for permitting scooters?  Should there be a driving test required of every driver every cruise, even on b2b?

Edited by pms4104

1 hour ago, R**T said:

True, but there is always someone who insists on parking their scooter in the stairwell or hallway, and it is a real safety hazard when they do.

This is a violation of SOLAS rules ... and should be reported to Guest Svcs.

Its unfortunate here at this thread that we electric scooter drivers are all being "tarred with the same brush".  Most of us are responsible, cautious and are most grateful that we are still able to travel even though our legs tell us otherwise. I can assure you that given the choice, we would rather be able to vacation on our own two legs, rather than be looked down upon and sneered at for being an "inconvenience" or for driving a "montrosity". Personally, I would never leave my scooter out in the hall or a stairwell, because we book the appropriate room, and it is true that once we get to a seat in the dining room, we are at the mercy of where the wait staff park our scooter.  The staff and crew on our cruises have always been very considerate and kind, and I am thankful for that.  And I apologize in advance for getting in your way.

Not the first from Kansas to have issues with scooters. Following is from a review of a cruise by Toto2Kansas years ago. I think it was one of her last posts. " Wheelchairs, scooters (with many not even knowing how to operate them it looked like, and I have the scars on my legs to prove it, as they would run you down if you didn‘t watch out). No, they were not slow, but speeding through large groups not seeming to care (I guess maybe a horn was needed to at least alert passengers they were passing, and maybe then it would have avoided some of the mishaps we encountered). I think we all respect those with mobility issues, I know I do, but courtesy runs both ways. We are always courteous and helpful to those passengers who might need assistance, with holding doors and elevators and attempting to move out of their way so they can get by. But there were many that seemed to feel ‘entitled’ to ‘plow‘ through and didn‘t seem to care who was in there way."

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, 4x4bob said:

I really appreciate that People can bring/use an electric scooter on board ships.  This allows them to continue traveling instead of staying at home.  And, my long term plans are to continue going on Cruises, even if I have to ride a scooter my self.    However...

I wish that the scooters had a bell that sounded when the wheels turned.  That way they will not sneak up on you from behind. 

One formal night while watching the show of passengers pouring into stacked glasses from the deck above I was nailed from behind in the left leg hard enough to break the skin and push me against the rail.  The driver then hit several other people standing in the crowd including a waiter with a tray of drinks.  The tray went fly and the glasses fell and broke.  Lucky, no one was hurt very badly from the impacts. The driver then left the scene as fast as the scooter could go.  I still have a scar on my leg to remind me. 

Bob

I'm with ya Bob. I was repeatedly rammed by a scooter operator while in line at the buffet. After the third collision I turned and politely said, "if you keep running into me, I'll be the one needing the use of your buggie ! "

3 hours ago, gbolton said:

Its unfortunate here at this thread that we electric scooter drivers are all being "tarred with the same brush".  Most of us are responsible, cautious and are most grateful that we are still able to travel even though our legs tell us otherwise. I can assure you that given the choice, we would rather be able to vacation on our own two legs, rather than be looked down upon and sneered at for being an "inconvenience" or for driving a "montrosity". Personally, I would never leave my scooter out in the hall or a stairwell, because we book the appropriate room, and it is true that once we get to a seat in the dining room, we are at the mercy of where the wait staff park our scooter.  The staff and crew on our cruises have always been very considerate and kind, and I am thankful for that.  And I apologize in advance for getting in your way.

I don't think the complaint is that they are "inconvenient" or get in the way.  The main issue, at least to me, is irresponsible drivers.  If I see a scooter or wheelchair coming, I will gladly make room so they can pass.  But if I don't see one because it is behind me, I shouldn't be rammed.  Isn't it always the case that it is the few rotten apples that ruin things. 

5 hours ago, pms4104 said:

I'm wondering who assumes liability should there be an incident involving personal injury or property damage caused by an electric scooter driver.  The driver, who should be required by Princess to carry proper insurance?  Or Princess for permitting scooters?  Should there be a driving test required of every driver every cruise, even on b2b?

Good question. Could be some real liability if someone gets injured. I've seen someone's foot get run over more than once. 

On our Crown Princess cruise last month I almost fell over backwards on top of one at the buffet line. The guy had silently driven up right behind me, presumably to check out the offerings at the buffet. When I almost fell on him he announced rudely, "watch out!" and gave me the stink eye. 
While I certainly understand why people need a scooter, I have to wonder about the wisdom of driving it through a crowded buffet line. 

Edited by TriumphGuy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TriumphGuy said:

On our Crown Princess cruise last month I almost fell over backwards on top of one at the buffet line. The guy had silently driven up right behind me, presumably to check out the offerings at the buffet. When I almost fell on him he announced rudely, "watch out!" and gave me the stink eye. 
While I certainly understand why people need a scooter, I have to wonder about the wisdom of driving it through a crowded buffet line. 

I'd given him a fried shrimp in the eye. eh

I was smashed into last year the same way. It left a mark.

Mrs. Berfle uses one but would never ever consider taking it into the buffet line - that is an accident waiting to happen. I'm sure most of us have had shoves and bumps there.  She is ultra considerate and won't barge or plow anywhere.  Never hit anyone or even bumped. What astonishes us are the fools who see her on the scooter, look right at her, and still change course at the last minute and cut right in front forcing an emergency stop; or she is in tears trying to get on an elevator after muster: she's waiting, doors open, and the crowd flows around her and fills up car after car.  But be alert, she does have a million dollar umbrella policy, so jump in front of the scooter at your peril.