Travel to Europe won’t be so easy come 2021 - EUROPE VISA

About time too, all Europeans have had to do this for the US since 2010. In practice it is very easy.

I can see the UK requiring something similar too once we have sorted out Brexit (if that ever happens!).

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

My completely uneducated guess...won't happen.  I think this is pure politics to get the US to back off our visa requirements for Europeans.  Either way, it won't stop me from traveling to Europe.  

It'll indeed be in place in 2021.  The remaining question is whether or not a few remaining straggler countries are included.

Australia and other countries also do this, so its really not political...more a matter of security control and revenue.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

I like the ETIAS:  it's like a Known Traveler Visa for the whole EU, and it's cheap, too:

Fee - The cost of an ETIAS is €7, however, individuals under the age of 18 will not need to pay the fee.

• Like 1

Can't see a problem with this. Cheaper than an ESTA and lasts longer. No-one will change their holiday plans due to the requirement and cost of a 7 euro ETIAS.

Unless the computer decides it is a 'NO' which I believe happens with some ESTA applications. 🤔

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

All Americans planning a cruise in Europe starting 1/1/21 (not U.K.) will need to get new travel documentation:

ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorization System)

More details here:

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/americans-need-visa-europe

No big deal, get the visa online, like going to Australia.

• Like 2

This information was posted in another board, but I think it has value for all cruisers. Here is a link from Travel/Leisure explaining the new requirement:

ETIAS stands for European Travel Information and Authorization System, it is a form of electronic travel authorization. From 2021, visitors traveling to the Schengen Area will need to obtain an ETIAS travel authorization prior to their trip.

Further clarification listing the ETIAS counties is here:

https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-countries

25 minutes ago, Shorex said:

This information was posted in another board, but I think it has value for all cruisers. Here is a link from Travel/Leisure explaining the new requirement:

ETIAS stands for European Travel Information and Authorization System, it is a form of electronic travel authorization. From 2021, visitors traveling to the Schengen Area will need to obtain an ETIAS travel authorization prior to their trip.

Further clarification listing the ETIAS counties is here:

https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-countries

Thanks for posting this, Shorex.  This is the first I'm hearing about this.  Does "From 2021" mean it starts Jan. 1, 2021?  Any idea how far ahead we need to apply?  6 months?  3 months? 30 days?

Roz

Just now, Roz said:

Thanks for posting this, Shorex.  This is the first I'm hearing about this.  Does "From 2021" mean it starts Jan. 1, 2021?  Any idea how far ahead we need to apply?  6 months?  3 months? 30 days?

Roz

Yes effective Jan 1st 2021

You can sign up for a notice  when the Online  application form is ready @

https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-form-application

scroll down the page  to enter your email

I would apply  before  the non refundable portion of your trip kicks in just incase  you are not approved ....that is just me though

14 minutes ago, Shorex said:

A careful reading of the links will specify the effective date, as well as provide a signup for you to receive an email when the ETIAS online application is available. That's as much as I know.

I thought I read it carefully, but I didn't see the info I asked about.

LHT, thanks for the additional info.  Do you have reason to believe that a lot of US and Canadian citizens won't get approved?  That would be very disappointing.  

Roz

1 hour ago, Roz said:

LHT, thanks for the additional info.  Do you have reason to believe that a lot of US and Canadian citizens won't get approved?  That would be very disappointing.  

Roz

The reasons for rejecting an application would likely be similar to the reasons for rejecting applications for ESTAS to the US. Except AFAIK, there is no list of banned countries for the European permit. 

Yet.

Edited by mom says

Just now, Roz said:

Roz

I am sure you will be fine  🙂

10 minutes ago, dolittle said:

I think this will be ironed out before it takes effect . It would not make sense for Europe to keep people from the U.S. out, and many countries make big money from tourist dollars .

That's what I was thinking.  

Roz

10 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

It's something to be aware of, certainly, but not a big deal.  All indications are that it will be a quick and simple online process with minimal cost.  In no way is it intended to restrict travel for the average citizen.

Quite true...assuming people are aware of it ahead of time and actually apply in advance. Likely the Cruise Documents will include notifications of this requirement...but not everyone reads those end to end unfortunately.