Premium Economy Airlines - better product?

terry&mike

Looking for some insight with those of you familiar with Premium Economy seating, and with routes to Asia. I am just beginning to research some options, and am looking for what airlines you believe have the better Premium Economy seats. We are not interested in the Economy Plus or similar product that just provides additional leg room inches, but more in the true Premium Economy product offered by airlines that provides a slightly better seat experience, and sometimes other perks. 

Lots of options out there in metal, such as JAL, Singapore, ANA, Eva, also United, American, etc.

We are a large group, about 25 people, traveling for approximately 3-4 weeks; some will travel on different days, different classes, different routes, of course, but many are focused on P.E.

Several of us are looking at this route:

Baton Rouge BTR- Singapore SIN, departing December 29; Tokyo HND or NRT - Baton Rouge BTR departing January 23.

Date options include can depart as early as December 28, or a few days after December 29; can return home a day or 2 later from Tokyo. 

Airport options include flying out of New Orleans MSY, or out of Houston IAH, but will need to factor in parking costs for duration. 

I have just been flying Singapore Airlines (SIA) Economy Premium from CPH to SIN - absolutely not impressed - wider seats and more leg room - I do not see a difference between the Economy Premium or Economy Plus - as a Dane I’m primarily flying SAS Economy Plus - IMO a better product - absolutely nothing additional ‘Premium ‘ regarding service, food and beverage on SIA  - but for sure wider seats and more .org room but not that comfortable.

For a big group you better have to book early - very limited number of Premium/Plus seats.

However the expierence might very well depend on Airline and type of aircraft- but not impressed with SIA premium offering - flew SIA Economy from SIN to DPS today - seats with extra leg room but more narrow seats. Food in Economy was similar to the food in Premium.

Globaliser, that was a very good read, thank you for directing me to that post. And the links within were great. 

And Hallasm, thank you for your input. No worries about us all vying for PE seats on the same flights - some of us will be on the flight mentioned above in PE, some of us will be coming and going on other dates/times, some of us will be in other cabin classes. I'm just starting with this route and date request, and as Premium Economy is such a slippery fish, I knew I could get some personal experience here. 

We'll all meet up on January 6 in Singapore. 

At the risk of generalizing, I think most PE seats these days are similar. Air France and JAL are exceptions (they have fixed shells and the seats 'scoot' forward rather than recline; AF seats are not well regarded but I haven't read much on JAL) and I would expect other airlines use the same seats but I can't think of any offhand. Unless you are set on a specific airline or alliance, I would prioritize routes and connections first. Some PE fares include lounge access (or maybe just a discounted price for a one-time pass) and that could be a deal-breaker if you wind up with a long layover in Tokyo. 

It's a shame (and a surprise) that United isn't putting its PE seats on the SFO-SIN route since that otherwise seems pretty appealing. 

Just what I've experienced recently....AA Premium Econ seats J&L non stop LAX-PVG A350-900...great seats/service & small separate cabin. Also Iike the new DL Premium Select.

Edited by Ashland

Also be aware that many airlines don't have PE seats on shorthaul flights, so if your itinerary involves a plane change somewhere between short- and longhaul, chances are you'll be in ordinary economy for the shorthaul segment.  That might or might not be a big deal depending on how short the "short" flight is.  The overall price will, however, reflect the PE cost.

I'd also keep an eye on the "Premium Fare Deals" board on Flyertalk - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/ .  Quite frequently you can see good deals in PE or business class from various North America cities to Asia, with prices good enough that even doing some short "staging" flights to and from the gateways might be worth it.  Of course in any separate ticket scenario you'd need to allow plenty of buffer time at the plane change locations just in case... 

I’m flying Boston to Hong Kong to Bangkok on Cathay Pacific later this year in Premium Economy.  Reviews I’ve read are very good...I’ve flown Air France in PE and it was okay, nothing special.    Delta economy plus or whatever it is called is basically just extra leg room.  Have also flown Air Canada in PE and was not impressed.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts on this.

Spent some time checking routes and metal and Premium Economy reviews.

Ended up "holding" flights on a route I really liked, for a very good rate of $1706 pp with Princess EZAir using their Flexible Air for Premium Economy. On the international legs, I'm flying American Airlines operated by JAL on 2 legs going over in PE, and American Airlines operated by AA on return in PE.

(2 short flights from Baton Rouge to DFW Dallas are in regular Economy, of course.)

This way I can change my mind without penalty, or refare air if a price drop. 

Also, considering similar routing and times with United operated by ANA, which is my preferred as I have status with United, but the rate is currently a good bit higher.

Just flew AA in premium economy from LAX to AKL.  I was very surprised in what a great product it is.  Would definitely use this again if available to where I am going.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 3rdCoastFan said:

Air France and JAL are exceptions (they have fixed shells and the seats 'scoot' forward rather than recline; AF seats are not well regarded but I haven't read much on JAL)

17 hours ago, terry&mike said:

Ended up "holding" flights on a route I really liked, for a very good rate of $1706 pp with Princess EZAir using their Flexible Air for Premium Economy. On the international legs, I'm flying American Airlines operated by JAL on 2 legs going over in PE,

See 3rd Coast Fan's comment on Air France and JAL.  I haven't flown JAL but have flown Air France premium economy and was not impressed.  As mentioned the "shell" seats don't really recline in the traditional sense.  It's a fixed shell, where the upper part goes back as the lower part slides forward.  I didn't find it comfortable at all, so be wary of that if the JAL seats are the same as mentioned above.  I'm very much looking forward to trying Delta's premium economy product, Premium Select, at some point, but thus far have been sticking to business class for long haul flights.