Maho Beach Review

czechcruzr

Arrived on the sunshine Feb 28th along with 5 other ships. Was a bit concerned about transit to and from Maho with that many people in town, but it was not an issue.  Rode the water taxi across to the shopping center and caught the bus from there. Just look for the bus that has a "maho" sign in the window. Cost pp was 2.00 each way.  Transit time from the shopping center was 30 minutes going and 35 returning. Caught the return bus in front of the "market/grocery store" next to the airport for the return.  

I don't recommend the beach for swimming, it was packed, the waves were huge, and they beach itself is quite steep with maybe a 20 ft landing on top between the street and water. 

One large wave made it all the way to the street, soaked everyones beach towels, shoes (including mine) and everything else on the sand. Stayed about 2 hours saw 2 737's land and a number of small atr7's and other puddle jumping aircraft. No large planes took off during the morning 10 to 12ish, i believe you have to wait until at least mid afternoon for the larger aircraft to leave, but didn't want to chance being late to the ship.

maho1.jpg

maho2.jpg

maho3.jpg

• Like 3

Great pictures! You're right...the large airliners arrive/depart after 12:00pm. Since the hurricane hit and many hotels were destroyed, fewer people are flying to this wonderful island than previously. Hopefully, as more hotels are being repaired, air traffic will pick back up and we'll see more large jets returning. Maho is still a great place to spend time at and enjoy all of the planes, big and small, that come in right over your head!

• 4 years later...

First of all, my review is NOT a reflection of all the beautiful people of St Maarten or the stunning Island itself. 

A group of 15 of us all went to Moho Beach this past Saturday. According to their webpage, the beach and amenities are open til 6pm. I arrived at 2pm. My daughter had paid $15 for one chair prior to my arrival.  We wanted to rent 3 more and were told the staff member was gone for the day and we could NOT rent any more chairs. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!! We weren’t the only group that wanted to rent chairs either!!!! So when we found some abandoned chairs, we put our bags on them. I have a video of the stafff member who had allegedly left for the day and another more rude staff member wanting to take the chairs and the one my daughter had paid for!!!! The staff member that showed up 2nd was in charge and began laughing at us when I decided to film them.  

AGAIN!!!!! The majority of islanders are extremely polite, kind and friendly. But then you run into those who want to go home and decide to close up shop when they so desire!!!! THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR!!!! To not take rental $ for chairs the tourists want to use is a slap in the face!!!! 

We pay a lot of $ to come visit. I don’t expect any special treatment and am not looking to see what I can get for free either. When we were denied chairs, my husband who has leukemia and my BIL left. They couldn’t sit in the sand. This broke my heart!!! This incident was the only thing that caused us to become upset in our week long stay here.