Cruise Critic Community
Frankmac

Cannes Embarkation

Posted (edited)

We are considering a cruise on Seaview in September, starting in Cannes, France.

Just wondering is embarkation done through a tendering process ?

Edited by Frankmac

I have the same cruise booked in October and was wondering the same thing 😊

Well it seems that if you arrive there as a stop on your cruise, you have to tender off the ship, so I'm inclining to the belief that you have to do the same for embarkation.

If your cruise truly embarks from Cannes (and not another city/port in the region) you will definitely need to tender to your vessel.  Cannes does not have any pier capable of handling a cruise ship.  Just make sure to verify, with your cruise line, exactly where you are supposed to go for embarkation.  It is unusual (but not unheard of) to use a tender port as a major embarkation place since it becomes a logistical nightmare.  The normal tender dock in Cannes is located on the Quai du Large at the Vieux Port (old port).  

Hank

Thanks for that Hank. Would make me think twice, or even more, about booking that cruise. Sounds horrendous.

The Seaview is embarking in Cannes this year and Hlitner is correct it is from Quai du Large. 

I have booked it and the more I think about it the more I am worrying !!! 

I have asked on several forums re people with previous experience of embarking in Cannes. To date nobody has ever replied......I am hoping once the season starts someone will be able to comment.

I keep having images of climbing up rope ladders with my suitcase strapped to my back !😂

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't imagine boarding by tender is that much of a problem. The tenders are relatively large vessels. I'm sure the crew will assist with loading and securing luggage, so you won't have that to contend with. I imagine they'd have to separate you from your luggage to security screen it anyway.

What may be a problem is if the weather is inclement and the ship can't operate the tenders at all/they Cannes altogether. Not sure how they would handle that other than transport you to the next port.

Edited by Captain-John

21 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

I wouldn't imagine boarding by tender is that much of a problem. The tenders are relatively large vessels. I'm sure the crew will assist with loading and securing luggage, so you won't have that to contend with. I imagine they'd have to separate you from your luggage to security screen it anyway.

What may be a problem is if the weather is inclement and the ship can't operate the tenders at all/they Cannes altogether. Not sure how they would handle that other than transport you to the next port.

Yes I thought of that as well. The next port is Mallorca so that should be interesting ! 

I did wonder if they might go to Marseille or Toulon and transport us there. Really hoping that I will not find out.

Thanks for your reassurance re embarking.

2 hours ago, Captain-John said:

I agree, and would expect dedicated tenders for embarking passengers....fully crewed to handle luggage i.e. you board the tender, and do not require to handle luggage from that point!

12 hours ago, SeaSunset22 said:

The Seaview is embarking in Cannes this year and Hlitner is correct it is from Quai du Large

We will be cruising on the Seaview in July and one of the ports to visit is indeed Cannes. Does the ship stop at Quai du Large , from Quai Laubeuf or the new Gare Maritime please? We would like to do a tour on the Petite Train and would like to know whether we can reach its starting point on foot from where the tender boats leaves us. Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, bigilla said:

We will be cruising on the Seaview in July and one of the ports to visit is indeed Cannes. Does the ship stop at Quai du Large , from Quai Laubeuf or the new Gare Maritime please? We would like to do a tour on the Petite Train and would like to know whether we can reach its starting point on foot from where the tender boats leaves us. Thanks in advance.

Cannes is a very walkable place. Unless you have mobility issues, it's a 10 minute walk around the harbour (Le Vieux Port) from one drop off point to another. As the train boarding point is so close to the Gare Maritime I'd figure a maximum 20 minute walk (at a very leisurely pace) if you end being dropped off at Quai du Large/Quai Laubeuf.

11 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

Cannes is a very walkable place. Unless you have mobility issues, it's a 10 minute walk around the harbour (Le Vieux Port) from one drop off point to another. As the train boarding point is so close to the Gare Maritime I'd figure a maximum 20 minute walk (at a very leisurely pace) if you end being dropped off at Quai du Large/Quai Laubeuf.

Thank you very much for your helpful answer. We dont have mobility issues, so it will be nice to go for a walk as well. 🤗

19 hours ago, Captain-John said:

I guess that 40+ years of extensive cruising experience makes me more skeptical :).  At best, tender operations have their issues...especially on larger ships where thousands of passengers must be moved back and forth.  You are dealing with some folks that have mobility issues, people who are not sure-footed, sometimes folks that get seasick on the tenders, etc.  The crew on most cruise ships are well-trained in how to conduct tender operations and assist those in need.  But now you add to that a certain number of passengers who are disembarking along with embarking passengers...mixed with thousands of others who are simply enjoying a port day.  And then you have the extra issue and delays associated with moving lots of luggage on and off tenders and properly securing the items (you cannot have luggage flying around if the tender hits a wave or swell.  

Another issue at Cannes is that there is no port terminal building (like at most major embarkation ports) and the waiting area is not well suited to a large crowd.   This means making some temporary preparations (such as a tent) which could be further complicated if the weather does not cooperate.   We look forward to reading the posts of folks who actually experience the process.  Would we take such a cruise?  Absolutely :).  But DW and I are somewhat adventurous.

By the way, looking at the itinerary....getting passengers to the next port (if necessary) would be a challenge.  One of those ports is Palma!

Hank

Did this embarkation in Cannes in 2016, WAS horrendous …. Worst port to embark.. a lot  of stairs , up and down, no help what so ever from anybody. Very limited for any passengers to get to and from the tender to ship... I would avoid embarkation here, would go to Geno , Italy instead ….