*Live* from the Eurodam - Hawaii/Tahiti/Marquesas

seamist

Although not quite *live* yet - we should be by tomorrow as the Eurodam sails into San Diego for the 28 day March 9th departure.  This trip is a Bucket List cruise for us and planned for the past 2 years — still can’t quite believe the sailing is almost here!

Yesterday we arrived in San Diego from the frozen tundra of the Midwest and even though cool enough that native San Diegoans have been sporting hats and gloves we found the 50s temperatures to feel quite lovely.  We had no issues with our flight arriving right on time, with an easy taxi commute to our stay at the Horton Grand Hotel in the Gaslamp district.  Our luggage even managed to follow us in a timely manner.  The cost from the airport to the hotel was $12.00 minus tip.

Upon arriving at the Horton we found our rooms to be ready another pleasant surprise!  So after checking-in we took our luggage up to our room and set out for some lunch and an afternoon touring the USS Midway.  The Midway is an easy 15 min walk from the Horton so no taxi needed on this jaunt.  There are many restaurants to choose from in the Gaslamp district and for lunch we chose the Kansas City Barbeque which was quite good.  The Midway is well worth a visit.  We then returned to the hotel tired and ready to grab a quick dinner and go to bed. 

This morning we walked about 5 min to a wonderful local cafe the Cafe 221 for breakfast then took a taxi to the San Diego Zoo.  $12 from the Horton minus tips, another $12.00 back to the hotel.  Would highly suggest https://www.gosandiego.com/ and purchase a combo ticket for the Midway and the Zoo if ever interested in doing this while in San Diego, you can save about 20%.  Back to the hotel to relax and prepare for the Eurodam’s arrival in the am.  We do plan to purchase the internet package so keeping fingers crossed the ship’s net will keep me blogging as we sail for Hawaii/Tahiti/Marquesas over the next 28 days.  Following are some pics of the Horton Grand and our lovely breakfast at the Cafe 221.  The Mr. ordered the biscuits and gravy, and I ordered their Blueberry Cornmeal waffle.

60164CCB-EA6A-49CA-BD05-1566466E5792.jpeg

E731C2CC-6764-4A1B-8C1C-C62292819506.jpeg

E64C46BB-5306-4681-B5D7-0AB7A7EECCC8.jpeg

45736F77-1804-42B7-9FC1-2CE1FA8D43E6.jpeg

F4BF5AB3-95B3-484F-84B8-DA8751248DC5.jpeg

C22E77A3-211E-494A-A9E3-680AF3C2AF9C.jpeg

256A15DD-0803-4089-9693-83C1063BBBBB.jpeg

BB8935C1-C6BA-4109-9595-F3CE467545C1.jpeg

Looking forward to your reports.

Have some CC friends on this sailing and hope you have much better weather than we did in a few years ago.  Fingers crossed for you all.

Have fun 😄 

Thanks everyone!  Correction to above...its Cafe 222 not 221 if interested.  Walked down this morning and she’s here!  Took some pics sitting at the pier, had a bagel/coffee, and keeping fingers crossed embarkation goes smoothly.  Sunny skies a bit cool this morning (49 degrees) with highs supposed to be around 60.

00950495-A4B4-4544-92CC-057B0C6E8E7F.jpeg

6369C5FB-2A44-42A0-88EB-FCD124D45CDB.jpeg

6762DD53-4DC1-4F57-9956-5A4FBF07C037.jpeg

Edited by seamist
Bad photo
  • Like 1

We are onboard after a relatively painless embarkation.  Arrived at terminal a little after 10:00 AM and made it onboard after 12:00 Noon.  We ate a nice lunch, had a bit of difficulty navigating the Navigator app - lol.- but have it figured out now - I think.  We did purchase the Premium Internet Package for the 28 days which came in at $320 for the both of us.  This is 500 MG allows video/streaming.  The only caveat is that we both cannot be on the net at the same time but does allow us to use our own separate devices.

We stopped by the Thermal Suite and booked that for the 28 days which came in at $789 per couple.  2 of the thermal lounges weren’t working, they have promised they will be in a few days, but dropped the price $100 due to the inconvenience.  Normally would have been $889 per couple.

Also booked an inside K category and I have to say this is the SMALLEST inside ever with Holland America.  I think, in fact, this is the smallest cabin on any cruise line (inside or verandah) we’ve ever been in including Norwegian or even Royal Caribbean.  So.....keep this in mind when booking insides on Eurodam.  THEY ARE SMALL.  We are looking to try and get upgraded to one of the larger insides down on Main Deck - but we shall see - will have to cope the best we can if it isn’t possible.  Upside:  We are going to Bora Bora so all is good  😄

5 hours ago, seamist said:

We are onboard after a relatively painless embarkation.  Arrived at terminal a little after 10:00 AM and made it onboard after 12:00 Noon.  We ate a nice lunch, had a bit of difficulty navigating the Navigator app - lol.- but have it figured out now - I think.  We did purchase the Premium Internet Package for the 28 days which came in at $320 for the both of us.  This is 500 MG allows video/streaming.  The only caveat is that we both cannot be on the net at the same time but does allow us to use our own separate devices.

We stopped by the Thermal Suite and booked that for the 28 days which came in at $789 per couple.  2 of the thermal lounges weren’t working, they have promised they will be in a few days, but dropped the price $100 due to the inconvenience.  Normally would have been $889 per couple.

Also booked an inside K category and I have to say this is the SMALLEST inside ever with Holland America.  I think, in fact, this is the smallest cabin on any cruise line (inside or verandah) we’ve ever been in including Norwegian or even Royal Caribbean.  So.....keep this in mind when booking insides on Eurodam.  THEY ARE SMALL.  We are looking to try and get upgraded to one of the larger insides down on Main Deck - but we shall see - will have to cope the best we can if it isn’t possible.  Upside:  We are going to Bora Bora so all is good  😄

We liked our sideways K on the Eurodam.  Small, yes, but rather cute.  We thought the layout quite ingenious and got used to it after a couple of days. Have been in a regular K too and found it fine as welll. I could have used another cupboard but found using the laundry baskets helped with finding places for all the "small stuff". 

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.  A lovely ship and a great itinerary!

5 hours ago, seamist said:

2 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

Let me get this straight in my head.  You arrived 10 am and waited until noon to board.

Why not have arrive at 1 and been onboard at 1:15?

David

Because the Mr. would rather sit at the terminal the hotel.  Shrugs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1