Wheel Chair Assistance

trbarton

12 minutes ago, trbarton said:

At the airport if someone needs wheel chair Assistance do you give the attendant a tip?  Any person that has used this your experience appreciated. 

Tom🤔

yes most definitely we do. Have traveled with elderly parents needing this. $5 to $10. The latter when they helped us with luggage and waited until we got on a shuttle at the curb. 

We tip most places (when the wheelchair assistance is contracted workers).  We do not tip at DFW when flying American because those assistants are airline employees (not the case for all airlines at DFW or for AA at all other airports).  

It is against airline policy for employees to accept tips, so I do not offer them.  I used to work for that airline and employees who violate this policy can be fired if it is discovered, so I do not want to hurt them by trying to help.  In cases like this, it is much better to reach out to corporate to let them know when exceptional service is delivered.  

That said, our service from contracted workers has been far superior with some of them even offering to help me with my bags when it was just my mom who needed the assistance.  For those who are kind and efficient, we do offer a nice tip.

Our best service so far was at the airport in San Diego.  

We sign up online to let the airline know we need assistance.

Everybody has their hand out - for doing the job they are already paid to do. I always did the best of my ability when doing my job. Never asked for or received a tip. Way back when I was a cook I put out the best food with the best presentation I could possibly manage. I never got a tip. The waitresses got a tip which greatly depended on my food and presentation. Whatever... I never thought I should be tipped as I did my best because it was my job and I took pride in my work. Yes, I am from the US and from California (land of over tipping) but I always thought tips were freaking stupid. Charge me a fair price and pay me a fair wage. I think I may have been born in the wrong country (as far as tipping goes).

We tipped the wheelchair attendant $10.00 last year.  The attendant pushed the wheelchair from the tarmac through baggage pickup & customs in Puerto Vallarta.  The help was worth the tip. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trbarton said:

At the airport if someone needs wheel chair Assistance do you give the attendant a tip?  Any person that has used this your experience appreciated. 

Tom🤔

As a sidenote, wheelchair pushers at Pier 91 are not supposed to accept tips. They are supposed to politely refuse.

Tom

Yes, I tip $5.00 per attendant, each way.  When getting onboard, I tip "pusher" in cruise terminal and then again for ship's personnel who takes me onboard.   I also tip "pusher" in airport - one getting on and another getting off.  It's just a part of my travel expense.

• Like 1