?'s from a newbie leaving in 9 days! :)

DH and I are going on our 1st cruise in 9 days AOS Jan 29. I really would have like to have more time to prepare but had to book last minute do to some problems with a resort we booked (long story) LOL So I have a couple of questions and have tried to read as much around the boards as possible in the last couple of days since we booked.

• On formal nights do the guys have to wear suit and tie or tux? DH is in need of a jacket and doesn’t have a tux; I will try to get a jacket before we leave but wanted to find out if he could do dress slacks and a nice dress shirt as well.
  • If DH does need suit or tux can we eat at Windjammers those nights without formal attire?
  • For formal nights are all the women going to be in evening gowns? I have some really nice dresses but nothing as fancy as an evening gown and don’t want to be out of place there.
  • When we buy the drink card do we get a large cup (20 oz or bigger) to put refills in or if we buy drink card can we take our own large cup?
  • In ports - we are going to Aruba, Curacao, St Maarten and St Thomas do we need to exchange money and use local currency or can we just use US $’s?

I think that is it for now ;) I’m a planner and normally won’t be so rushed for answers but sometimes you just have to go with the flow!

You will see people in all types of "formal" attire. I will leave it to others to determine what is acceptable. Go with what you're comfortable with. All of the countries on your itinerary will gladly accept US currency. We'll be on AOS on March 5th.

Honestly, your husband can wear his slacks a dress shirt and tie on formal night and not feel out of place. I've never worn a formal dress, more like stuff you wear to weddings. Don't avoid the dining room because of a jacket. I really wouldn't go buy one just for it either. The first year we went, my husband and I hadn't planned on going to the dining room for formal night, but our waiter talked us into it, he only had polo shirts and I wore a skirt and top, it was fine. Have a great time!!!!

DH and I are going on our 1st cruise in 9 days AOS Jan 29. I really would have like to have more time to prepare but had to book last minute do to some problems with a resort we booked (long story) LOL So I have a couple of questions and have tried to read as much around the boards as possible in the last couple of days since we booked.

• On formal nights do the guys have to wear suit and tie or tux? DH is in need of a jacket and doesn’t have a tux; I will try to get a jacket before we leave but wanted to find out if he could do dress slacks and a nice dress shirt as well.
  • If DH does need suit or tux can we eat at Windjammers those nights without formal attire?
  • For formal nights are all the women going to be in evening gowns? I have some really nice dresses but nothing as fancy as an evening gown and don’t want to be out of place there.
  • When we buy the drink card do we get a large cup (20 oz or bigger) to put refills in or if we buy drink card can we take our own large cup?
  • In ports - we are going to Aruba, Curacao, St Maarten and St Thomas do we need to exchange money and use local currency or can we just use US $’s?

I think that is it for now ;) I’m a planner and normally won’t be so rushed for answers but sometimes you just have to go with the flow!

If you plan to eat in the main dining room on formal nights, yes, your husband will need a jacket and tie. He will not need a tux. Yes, you can eat in the Windjammer to avoid formal night. As for the women's dresses on formal night, you will see quite a variety. Not all women wear evening gowns so, if your dresses are dressy, they'll probably be fine.

On non-formal nights, your husband can wear dockers and polo shirts or button-up shirts in the main dining room..

If you purchase the soda package, they give you a Coca Cola cup with lid (similar to an insulated travel cup) that you can choose to use or not use. The only time we used it was at Labadee -- very convenient there. I really don't know if they will fill up your own cup that you bring if you have purchased the soda package. Never tried.

Your currency question has been answered.

Enjoy your cruise!

Wow! You've booked an awesome first cruise. First thing you need to do is RELAX! Your DH will not be kicked out of the dining room if he does not have a jacket. Shirt and tie will be fine. You do not need a gown. Dressy dress is good. I've seen long skirts or slacks with a nice blouse as well. You can also rent formal wear on board. Go, have a great time and try to suck in all of the wonderful experiences and that delicious sea air:D The only folks you should try to impress is each other;)

Thank you so much for the replies! You all have made me feel better was thinking “formal” that everyone was going to be in tuxes and evening gowns and we would look like some country bumpkins (not that they is anything wrong with that LOL) – just don’t want to feel uncomfortable.

We are really excited about our trip! Any other suggestions for someone that has never been on a cruise before that might help make the process easier?

The following expectation can be found on RCI’s Web Page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=00003r7uyfPObwi9-KWfJ3UFI4U:v2mocc7o#8

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and the remainder are casual nights.

5 – night cruises include one formal and the remainder casual nights.

6 – night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder are casual nights .

7 to 9-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and the remainder nights are casual nights.

10 to13-night cruises include two formal nights and two smart casual nights, and the remainder are casual nights.

14+ -night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights and the remainder are casual nights.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Thank you so much for the replies! You all have made me feel better was thinking “formal” that everyone was going to be in tuxes and evening gowns and we would look like some country bumpkins (not that they is anything wrong with that LOL) – just don’t want to feel uncomfortable.

We are really excited about our trip! Any other suggestions for someone that has never been on a cruise before that might help make the process easier?

Take a deep breath...cause I'm sure out of breath reading your posts. First...save all of your receipts from your sail & sign account. Its the only way to refute any questionable charges to your ship board account. Secondly...have a wonderful time on your first cruise. You will be hooked and addicted to cruising as a result. I will actually go out on limb here(LOL), and say...you will be booking another cruise sooner then you think. You couldn't have made a better choice. I'm on AOS on 4/30. Post a review when you return from your cruise. I love first timer's reaction after cruising their first time.

John

Go, enjoy, relax~!

Cruising is so much fun

Your husband will be fine in a shirt and tie. If he has a jacket that is good.

I have worn dressy work dresses and such and not felt out of place.

We brought larger cups for the pool but didnt use them as the soda gets warm too easy,, just get refills or use the soda insulated cup they provide.

Have a wonderful cruise!

In my history of cruising with RCI, which is pretty extensive, there is a precentage of men who do not wear jackets but it is low. Do they look out of place? IMO, yes. And it is not a high percentage.

Many women do indeed wear gowns. AOS has a strong Latino following being home ported in San Juan, and Latinos dress up.

If I preferred to be casual, I would dine in Windjammer. I never have, because I enjoy the formality of the dining room.

As to Portifino's the dress code is "smart casual". I have dined there half a dozen times on various ships and always noticed that pax looked nice and made an extra effort.

JMO.

Actually...since I rarely get the chance to "dress to the nines" for a night on the town, I rather enjoy renting a tux for the formal nights. They'll deliver to your cabin.

Actually...since I rarely get the chance to "dress to the nines" for a night on the town, I rather enjoy renting a tux for the formal nights. They'll deliver to your cabin.

My DW and I prefer the dining formality. I have always worn a tux and she has always worn a very nice cocktail and/or evening dress to compliment the dining room. It comes down to a matter of choice, but I agree with the others here on this thread that he should wear a jacket and tie, especially for the two fomal nights. The rule of thumb for guys is a dark suit or tux, and for the women, its usually a cocktail or evening dress. You will see more men in dark suits than tuxedos on RCI. ME...I sport the tux. I enjoy the ambience. We usually hit the cigar bar afterwards to compliment dinner.

John

Archived