For photos, do you use your phone or bring a camera?

PittsburghNative

I’m wondering if I should rent a camera or just use my phone. The camera on my iPhone XR is pretty dang good. If I were to rent a camera, it needs to be a simple, one lense type of device. Which one is better in the long run? Also, if you do recommend something other than my iPhone, what camera would you personally use?

If you're not familiar with using a DSLR camera, I'm sure you can use your phone. That's what most people seem to do nowadays anyway. I've had a DSLR for 10 years now though, so that's what I bring. My husband and son used their phones. I wouldn't really know what to suggest for renting, since it really would depend on what you know and what you're comfortable using. My only thing is you don't want to be trying to figure things out while you're there.

Personally, I haven't used a cell phone since retiring and even when I did have one, I always used a camera. However, the cameras included with phones these days take some great photos. If all you want is holiday snaps, stick with the cell phone.

2 hours ago, quack2 said:

DLSR, digitial pocket camera, iphone, binoculars. 

For Alaska, I need them all.

I'll skip the pocket camera. For the DLSR, I will use a 18-400mm lens so that I don't need to carry another lens or change lens. There are also add-on lens for phones

20 minutes ago, quack2 said:

The main reason I take the digital pocket camera is so that I don't run the cell phone battery down taking pictures and forgetting to close the camera app.

We got a few battery packs. Each one is about the size of a phone and can charge the phone several times. I have not touch my pocket digital camera for a few years now. The only advantage of it over a phone is the narrow range optical zoom, while there are many advantages with an iPhone or other smart phone that has a good camera like easy backup on the cloud and direct upload to IG and other social media. If one want lot bring another camera, it may be an action cam.

A friend of mine who never wanted to take pictures before has taken a couple trips with me and decided he wanted a camera.  What he ended up getting (and I'm WAY impressed with) is a Canon PowerShot SX710 HS.  It has a lot of zoom and still takes great pictures - 30x zoom.  It makes 20.3 Megapixel shots so they will enlarge to a poster print size with no problem.  I use a large Canon DSLR but for a small camera that will fit in a shirt pocket, I'm pretty jealous...  It's a couple years old and has advanced to the SX740 now with 40x zoom.  When I need to replace my shirt pocket point & shoot I'll check what is the latest SX7xx model and most likely get one.  My problem with cellphone cameras is that the pictures look really nice on the phone...they don't enlarge too well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperCrewBear said:

A friend of mine who never wanted to take pictures before has taken a couple trips with me and decided he wanted a camera.  What he ended up getting (and I'm WAY impressed with) is a Canon PowerShot SX710 HS.  It has a lot of zoom and still takes great pictures - 30x zoom.  It makes 20.3 Megapixel shots so they will enlarge to a poster print size with no problem.  I use a large Canon DSLR but for a small camera that will fit in a shirt pocket, I'm pretty jealous...  It's a couple years old and has advanced to the SX740 now with 40x zoom.  When I need to replace my shirt pocket point & shoot I'll check what is the latest SX7xx model and most likely get one.  My problem with cellphone cameras is that the pictures look really nice on the phone...they don't enlarge too well.

That's a good option. The SX710 is basically with a 25-750mm lens. It is important to have a camera to have good optical zoom, DSLR or not.

What do you plan to do with the pictures?  Print them?  Put them on the phone to show people?  Put them on the web somehow?

Most current phones have fairly capable lenses and enough MP that if you want to manipulate the picture later - enlarge it, crop it, straighten the horizon (a pet peeve of mine) or other things, you can do so and still have enough detail left for a decent image.  If you want to really process the image later - HDR, super cropping/zooming, etc., then a point-and-shoot camera with a decent zoom range might be a better choice.  But it comes down to what you want to use the pictures for later.

Lots of sensible advice and questions already, but I'll throw out a couple more - how comfortable using cameras in general are you OP? And do you have enough time and money to rent it for at least a few days in advance of your cruise so you could get familiar with it before you need to be using it?

There's no point taking anything at all that you don't know how to use, especially if paying extra for it - while you're fumbling around to try and get your nice shiny big optical zoom on target you could have already managed to fire up your familiar cellphone camera and get a few shots off! Better to get the shot on a sub-optimal device than not to get it at all...

Plus, since you were asking about how best to record your ISP ZipRider experience and all the advice over there very sensibly pointed you toward a GoPro - which is absolutely not the right tool for shots of distant animals, majestic landscapes etc. - do you have the spare funds and time to rent both one of those and a long-lens camera AND get familiar with the controls on both? I can imagine how p*ssed off I'd be if I discovered that my GoPro had not recorded my super-expensive zipline experience properly (and they ain't gonna let you ride it again free because you fluffed your recording!)

FWIW I'm in the "carry a capable long-lens 'bridge' camera" camp myself - and can certainly agree that Canon models have generally been very good in that sector (I've owned three, as well as a few other brands over the years, and find that the controls and general design work best on Canon for me). My wife brings her SLR and a couple of lenses on all of our trips, so I tend to focus on taking videos while she's snapping - for things like calving glaciers, a bird taking flight, a whale surfacing etc. (stuff that you KNOW will happen, just exactly WHEN is the question!) - and also any 'Crap! Something unexpected just started to happen!" events as I can get my smaller camera up and working in a couple of seconds while she's still taking hers out of the bag (mine being light enough to just live round my neck - even in the rain it can simply be tucked inside my jacket for protection - whereas a large SLR can be really uncomfortable without one of the fancy harnesses to keep in a 'ready to rock' position).

I'm also recommending the Canon SX740 as well!  We have the SX720 and it rivals our Nikon DSLR.  The Nikon does get crisper shots but only when you compare the same shot next to each other.  I think for Alaska the biggest limit with your iPhone is going to be the zoom.  The Canon has an amazing zoom.  Before we upgraded our DSLR for a recent trip to Iceland, we were looking at options to upgrade our point and shoot but from the research I did the Canon was the best option to get that super zoom.  There were other options but you were looking at close to a grand for a point and shoot (which gets you a decent DSLR).  Where the 740 retails for $400 and you could get around $350 or less on sale.  

Edited by nicoleinwi
  • Like 1

I used a combination of my Samsung S9 and a Sony long zoom point and shoot (DSC-HX80).  We have a DSLR, but it is several years old and I didn't want to lug it around.  90% of the shots I took were with the S9 (and were better than the Sony).  I brought the Sony strictly for the longest zoom shots.  Even though it shoots up to 30X, the pics get soft and noisy at that zoom level so I tried to keep it to 20X or so....oh and the Sony does much better in brighter light.

A selection of pics are here for you to decide for yourself:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/x81ZXjb7yqFuP26y7

If you click the little info icon on any given picture you can see whether it was taken with the S9 or the Sony.

I bring a waterproof camera with me on trips especially when weather or adventure is involved. It has come in extremely handy as it is small, takes great pictures, I don't have to worry about it when I am on the beach or go in the ocean, hiking, rafting, etc or if it is very cold out. My sister used it in Iceland when her camera with different lenses ended up freezing and was shocked how good the pictures came out. I believe mine is a Nikon with lots of scenery options - night, snow, fireworks, beach, etc. It is nice not having to worry about my phone and still keeps on going even after a few drops on rocks and in the water. 

If you go that route I do recommend getting the floating camera strap in a bright color. Makes it easy to spot if you drop it and also easy to find in your luggage if you take it off.

If you are not really in to photography you are probably better off just using your cell phone and buying postcards or professional photographs.

I say this with over 50 years of photographic experience starting with kodak instamatic cameras (with flashbulbs) and including Nikon SLR film cameras, and digital SLRs and mirrorless cameras.  Also through in some home darkroom time.

99% of people take pictures of their friends and family with scenery in the background to show they were there and commemorate the experience. This is what you will want to see 20 years from now. Have these printed by a big box store or similar and put in an album or a photobook.  You will not get as good a photograph as the professionals if you want a really good shot of the location.  The professionals spend a lot of time at a location waiting for the right light and using great equipment.  Buy prints or postcards of the locations.

The modern cell phones will do a pretty good job of the snapshots of friends and family.  If you are really interested in getting into photography (and spending at least a few hundred dollars to get something decent) I recommend looking at the website dpreview.com or consumer reports and researching a pocketable/compact digital camera with a long zoom.

I would suggest a camera that works fine if you leave it completely automatic however one that also allows you a reasonable amount of creative control if you want it.  The major brands, eg, Panasonic Lumix or Canon typically have something reasonable.

There is a really good camera store in Manhattan that will let you handle the cameras (B and H Photo) that I would recommend going into before purchasing however do not know of any in Miami.

Then take a short class on photography or view a webinar/video (at least an hour or two) on photography.

What I have learned after decades of experience is that lugging around any camera that is not small can be a real pain and you will end up not using it and it will sit at home in a closet. Also, if it does not easily allow you to produce decent photographs with a long zoom it does not buy you much over the phone.

Bottom line if you are not willing to make an investment of money and time in a decent camera and learning to use it you are better off with your cell phone.  Renting is probably not a good use of money.  

• Like 1

Two types of people taking photos. This person ran out from the spa in coverup and flip flops. We are off frame in long underwear, double and triple coats, hats, gloves with 100s of dollars worth of camera gear, extra batteries, extra just about everything. She was outside 5 min max we had been there at least 1 hour with several more hours to go. Not saying one is better than the other just different. It took me a long time to find this photo. 

DSC07973.JPG

• Like 2

On 3/11/2019 at 11:17 AM, LB_NJ said:

If you are not really in to photography you are probably better off just using your cell phone and buying postcards or professional photographs.

I say this with over 50 years of photographic experience starting with kodak instamatic cameras (with flashbulbs) and including Nikon SLR film cameras, and digital SLRs and mirrorless cameras.  Also through in some home darkroom time.

99% of people take pictures of their friends and family with scenery in the background to show they were there and commemorate the experience. This is what you will want to see 20 years from now. Have these printed by a big box store or similar and put in an album or a photobook.  You will not get as good a photograph as the professionals if you want a really good shot of the location.  The professionals spend a lot of time at a location waiting for the right light and using great equipment.  Buy prints or postcards of the locations.

The modern cell phones will do a pretty good job of the snapshots of friends and family.  If you are really interested in getting into photography (and spending at least a few hundred dollars to get something decent) I recommend looking at the website dpreview.com or consumer reports and researching a pocketable/compact digital camera with a long zoom.

I would suggest a camera that works fine if you leave it completely automatic however one that also allows you a reasonable amount of creative control if you want it.  The major brands, eg, Panasonic Lumix or Canon typically have something reasonable.

There is a really good camera store in Manhattan that will let you handle the cameras (B and H Photo) that I would recommend going into before purchasing however do not know of any in Miami.

Then take a short class on photography or view a webinar/video (at least an hour or two) on photography.

What I have learned after decades of experience is that lugging around any camera that is not small can be a real pain and you will end up not using it and it will sit at home in a closet. Also, if it does not easily allow you to produce decent photographs with a long zoom it does not buy you much over the phone.

Bottom line if you are not willing to make an investment of money and time in a decent camera and learning to use it you are better off with your cell phone.  Renting is probably not a good use of money.  

Gotta admit, even though I am "guilty" of taking the scenery shots "sans family" LB_NJ is right on all of this.  Heck, just watch Planet Earth.  Are any of us ever going to get anything resembling that series?  Unlikely.  So then, if not "into photography" it becomes all about the memories with family.  Admittedly, I do appreciate having shots of the EXACT stuff I saw on the day I saw it, but when we all look back at those old albums its "us" 20 years ago (or our parents, etc.) we want to see in the context of their vacations.  Alternatively, everyone just take pictures of every meal you eat and post online for everyone to see...and while you are out it, if you could post every picture of your child or cat doing, well, everyday things that'd be great too...nah, that'll never catch on. ;>

I purchased a camera for my Alaska trip. My cell camera isn't that great. First, we were going on a couple wet excursions, whale watching and kayaking. Second, I also wanted a camera that I could use without worry in the rain. Last, I wanted a camera that I could easily work while wearing gloves. I bought a "rugged" style camera, Ricoh WG-50. The newer camera was available, but this older style had something about it that I wanted more.

Things that I loved about the camera I used. The aforementioned ability to use the camera in wet conditions and not worry about it. ALSO...the camera didn't suffer in performance in colder weather. I could put it in my pocket and didn't need to have it in a case. (I did carry a lens cloth). The camera had a good write speed, meaning it was ready to take another picture quickly. Good battery life. Rechargeable battery with a USB cord to an adapter plug in. 

I had time to play with just a few settings before we left. There were some great preset settings...things that would affect the focus of the camera...that really helped with the quality of the photos.

I used my iPhone and took great photos, both of my family and of the animals and landscape. I liked that if necessary I could slightly adjust the light or color and zoom in. This pic below was taken with my iPhone and the whales came up about 20 yards in front of our boat. It wasn't until after I snapped a few of them that time that I zoomed in to see the baby. It was the best surprise shot of the trip, and is now hanging in our living room and printed on canvas.

IMG_3412.JPG

• Like 4