Disappointed in HAL's Flight Ease program

twodjs

Booked a cruise on Koningsdam for January of 2020. This is the first day we could book our flight on Flight Ease. We have used a flight booking service one other time when booking a Viking cruise and got a great price - much lower than the airline was offering. We booked the K during an offer of $300 per person off the flight cost. I was quite surprised to receive a quote more than 8% higher than booking directly with the airline. They claim competitive pricing - 8% higher doesn't sound competitive to me. Is this typical of Flight Ease? 😟

It's Alaska, non-stop from Seattle to Fort Lauderdale. Alaska has the only non-stop so first class is already at a premium price. Adding 8% to almost $4000 is frustrating.

Flight Ease does not work as well for the cruiser if the flights are domestic round trips.  For open jaw bookings, I usually found Flight Ease to save me considerable $$ over what I could have booked on my own.  This is particularly true for international flights.

• Like 3

Our experience on several cruise lines is that the pricing varies over time. 

In most instances, when booking economy returns, one ways, or open jaws we have been able to get a better price by booking direct with the airline or through a travel booking site.

Just now, iancal said:

Our experience on several cruise lines is that the pricing varies over time. 

In most instances, when booking economy returns, one ways, or open jaws we have been able to get a better price by booking direct with the airline or through a travel booking site.

The OP seems interested in flying First Class.  As you stated, I also find booking domestic Economy on my own direct with the airline more inexpensive than using Flight Ease.  Flying First Class, what the OP is finding mirrors my experience when I wish to fly in that Class.

Booking for a flight in North America I find little difference in the pricing.

Flying one way to Europe biz class, a HUGE difference.  Our cost was less than 1/2 this year to go biz to Lisbon and it was even better last year coming back from Amsterdam.

Good flights for the pond crossing too - we were on KLM last year (very pleased) and on Lufthansa this year.

No first class applied on either flight so I can’t compare that OP, sorry.

30 minutes ago, twodjs said:

It's Alaska, non-stop from Seattle to Fort Lauderdale. Alaska has the only non-stop so first class is already at a premium price. Adding 8% to almost $4000 is frustrating.

It's not first class and it may not be nonstop, but you can fly on Southwest for a fraction of that.

Roz

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, dfish said:

My flight in August round trip to Amsterdam in business class is half what the airline was charging.  

Same here. I couldn't believe it. It was a no brainer for us.

Wow - so we chose a perk that really isn't a perk when living and cruising out of the U.S. And yes, I am well aware of the prices Southwest offers and well as the economy prices on Alaska. Appreciate all the imput from everyone. For this cruise, the non-negotiable agreement between my wife and myself is a first class, non-stop flight. 

I booked the domestic flight for my recent cruise with Flight Ease, because I travel solo and had to come in day of,  I wanted the extra protection they supposedly provide if something happens with your flight and you miss departure.

I watched the flight cost on the airline website after booking, and when it dropped ~$100, called Holland.  They adjusted the flight cost downward and it ended up being a great price.

1 hour ago, twodjs said:

Have you priced it for coach? Might make that huuuge difference :classic_ninja:

We do not think there is any magic to booking air.  Price with cruise air, then compare with the market.  Pick your best fare and move forward keeping in mind that air fares are like cruise fares.

They change constantly according to supply/demand and the providers fare maximization pricing algorithms.

1 hour ago, twodjs said:

Wow - so we chose a perk that really isn't a perk when living and cruising out of the U.S. And yes, I am well aware of the prices Southwest offers and well as the economy prices on Alaska. Appreciate all the imput from everyone. For this cruise, the non-negotiable agreement between my wife and myself is a first class, non-stop flight. 

I do not blame you a bit.  I have the same agreement with my wife.  (For forty years I flew in economy.  No more.  I buy my own tickets and I fly 1st class.  I also book suites.)

Lol!  My husband calls them ski:holidays,  spending kids inheritance!   As long as we can afford it for any longer flights I want a minimum of premium economy.   And business where possible!   Might as welll enjoy our savings!  

• Like 1

The programs run by Princess, HAL and Seabourn are all handled by the same contractor although the pricing can vary between cruise lines.  We are taking a Seabourn cruise in Alaska this summer and needed flights to Anchorage with a return from Vancouver.  The prices offered by Seabourn (which are similar to what you would get on HAL) were also somewhat higher then we could get on our own, and this was true for even First Class.  

Our own experience is that the Flight Ease program works best for International flights...especially Business Class where you can often save more then half the usual cost.  Domestic flights (such as to Alaska) are often not a good deal and we normally do our own bookings for domestic.

Hank

It may be that contractor Hank mentioned may not have a strong relationship with Alaska Airlines. If they don't buy bulk rate tickets from Alaska,  maybe they don't have the leverage to get discounted F airfares.

Glad the OP did the research to know when they weren't getting a good deal. Too many fall for the "guarantee" to get you there, and don't look at all the surrounding details and complexities. 

11 hours ago, bennybear said:

Lol!  My husband calls them ski:holidays,  spending kids inheritance!   As long as we can afford it for any longer flights I want a minimum of premium economy.   And business where possible!   Might as welll enjoy our savings!  

if you don't travel first class, your grandkids will.

The biggest revelation about cruising I've experienced was deciding that I could fly first class and that I could book suites.  I've been a compulsive saver so long, that was a major revelation.

• Like 1

We booked our Alaska flights with Flight Ease for July and saved over $300pp coach on what we could do ourselves.  We are flying from DFW to Vancouver on American and return to DFW from Fairbanks on Alaska Airlines. For us it worked and saved the 3 of us almost $1000 total. We looked at first class seats too and Flight Ease was still less than what we could do. We booked in October and we do not have to pay for our tickets until final payment in May. The prices for these flights have continued to  go up as the flights fill up with summer cruise passengers, but we were locked in when we booked.

Edited by terrydtx

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

if you don't travel first class, your grandkids will.

The biggest revelation about cruising I've experienced was deciding that I could fly first class and that I could book suites.  I've been a compulsive saver so long, that was a major revelation.

I agree with you.  Also being a compulsive saver this can be hard to do!  However, often you can "improve" for not a lot more money if you watch for sales and use upgrades.

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 1