whats going on with these skyrocketing prices

smith6

We have sailed over 10 times with Celebrity Just got off a 11 day cruise on the Reflection went to book another cruise for next year and was quoted over $3,000 more for the same cruise next year. Love Celebrity but not enough to justify an increase like this. We heard Celebrity was voted no 1 in having the cleanest ships we didn't realize that also meant cleaning out their customers bank accounts.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, smith6 said:

We have sailed over 10 times with Celebrity Just got off a 11 day cruise on the Reflection went to book another cruise for next year and was quoted over $3,000 more for the same cruise next year. Love Celebrity but not enough to justify an increase like this. We heard Celebrity was voted no 1 in having the cleanest ships we didn't realize that also meant cleaning out their customers bank accounts.

I would consider doing Alaska next year, they seem to still be competitive in a few regions.  Alaska is just as cheap if not cheaper on the shoulder season, than our 2014 cruise.  The Caribbean and Bermuda on the other hand, are just ridiculous.

Then again, someone has to pay for the new art:

Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 3.42.09 AM.png

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, smith6 said:

I think that they have a huge burden with the new builds, the lack of bookings, and the lack of upward tick in the market is responsible for this. 

2 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I would consider doing Alaska next year, they seem to still be competitive in a few regions.  Alaska is just as cheap if not cheaper on the shoulder season, than our 2014 cruise.  The Caribbean and Bermuda on the other hand, are just ridiculous.

Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 3.42.09 AM.png

She looks like she just saw the pricing for her next X cruise.

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

There is another thread about declining service. I guess one way to maintain or improve the service will be with a higher cost. For upcoming cruise in this year, I don't see really high price except for the new ship and perhaps the recently renovated ones. I guess it really depends on how Celebrity wants to position their cruise in the market. To make it more luxury or more competitive in price. At the end, it is the market that determine the price. If they do not price it right for the service they provide, eventually they needs to lower the price in order to fill the cabins.

• Like 3

I hear you.  We sailed in a RS on the Summit over Christmas week last year.  We are booked on the Summit for the exact same week this year and the RS is about $5k more than what we paid last year.  We went down to a CS to keep pricing about the same (it's slightly less actually, plus we got some bonus OBC), but our overall cost will probably end up being higher as we like to do the specialty dining and I'm sure I'll do laundry at least once in addition to some shore excursions.  I understand an increase, but I felt that was a bit substantial!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smith6 said:

Supply and demand will fix this.  That is a crazy price increase over a year.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Supply and demand will fix this.  That is a crazy price increase over a year.  

Our 12 night Hawaiian cruise was roughly $2,700 Concierge, $3,600 Aqua, $5,500 Sky Suite, 12 months ago.  Before final payment, we upgraded to Aqua at $1,750, and Sky Suites even dropped to $1,999 guaranteed after final payment.

2021, they're repeating the insane prices in Hawaii, and appear to be expanding the concept, despite being a complete failure. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jelayne said:

My thinking is book the cruise/cabin you would be ok with  at a price you are comfortable with and then if it is over priced  move up to the cabin you really want when the price drops. 

That's all well and good but we are stuck to school holidays and it is rare for ships not to be fully booked when we have to sail. Have priced up APEX for her first cruise and they want £5000 for 7 nights in a SV cabin. Eeeekkkk. Don't think so.For us booking early is the way to go ... dread to think the prices in the future....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, smith6 said:

I feel the same way.  The price on a Southern Caribbean recently went from $2400 to $3800 per person for Aqua Class.  I have not received a 50% raise in the past year.  A 7 day Eastern Caribbean   went up 20%.  We booked it on board.    I guess that is a "steal".  (lol).   

I am looking at the prices and thinking they are way up! In the UK we do not have so much flexibility with changing cabins and are pretty much 'stuck' with the cabin we book, even if the price does go down 😢. I am lucky in that I have two future cruises booked but even those were at the top end of what I consider is a fair price. Since then the prices have continued to rise. As it is often pointed out, we are not expected to pay the difference if the price rises, but by the same token we cannot swap etc here in the uk to take advantage of price drops. Elites are allowed to do one transfer to a booking but this is to another cruise, not changing within the same cruise as far as I am aware.

In a way it has worked in our favour as it has meant I have now planned and booked some land trips after exclusively cruising for the past few years.

• Like 1

Prices have just gone up and up for our cruise in September. We paid £2700, it’s now nearly £3500. I don’t think anyone can really argue that Celebrity are pushing up prices way above inflation, they must be up a good 20% overall over the last 12 months. E class crazy prices.

The prices went up because of the high demand. Remember the years of the economic crisis (2009+) where there was a reduced demand and cruising was very cheap.

Personally I wouldn't pay >400 USD per night for a simple veranda cabin on Celebrity and prefer a different vacation for that price. But many people don't care 🙂

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, swoonx said:

The prices went up because of the high demand. Remember the years of the economic crisis (2009+) where there was a reduced demand and cruising was very cheap.

Personally I wouldn't pay >400 USD per night for a simple veranda cabin on Celebrity and prefer a different vacation for that price. But many people don't care 🙂

When we were talking to an agent at the Future Cruises Desk, she did some math for us.  A 7 day on Edge was running over $500 per person each day for a nice veranda.   There are MANY better vacation options for that pricing....

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Hello, 

I wouldn’t mind the price if X was brigging back the Celebrity shine from before...

give me back my formal nights, my sherbet parade around the pool, my steward all dress up depending on the night occasion, my midnight buffet (or brunch), all my favourite food like Osso bucco, my 6 schrimps cocktail, my desert tray every night to choose from, and all the other stuff that went away over the years.... and I'll be more than happy to pay the price.... but X wants to stay in the middle range now with the offering and cannot compete. 

When you offer a so called "repo" cruise and do not give any beverages package like some other company do, your are not in the game. 

When you charge 4000$ more for a couple doing the same cruise (ex South America) do not wonder why this couple switch (and also get, a beverage package on top of that). 

So yes, Celebrity has to reconsider is offering because it not up to par with the other companies...

But still we are going on X next month but we will really be attentive to detail and see what we do next, eventhough we are elite plus....and that the next level is soooooo far out....

have a great day 

• Like 1

Sadly this may be our last cruise with Celebrity if prices carry on rising. We are looking at Asia next and Princess are so much cheaper for what is still a good mid market cruise line. I still prefer Celebrity but not at some of the prices they are now asking.

• Like 1

We have some future cruises booked into 2021.  Chances are we will be dropping a few of them as the price is getting too rediculous.  

We found that that we can have a really great time with more dining choices and better drinks for the $500 plus per day that the cruises are costing us and most times it ends up being less plus  better on our waist lines doing land based traveling by car.   Plus we don’t have to deal with  final payment, trip insurance, and cancellations fees months in advance,    

I know that inside and outside cabins are cheaper but for me one of the purposes of cruising  is having a balcony to watch and enjoy the sea during the night and in the morning.  

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

Not only new art, but the refurbishment of all the ships in the fleet.

That will have to be paid for by someone, but not by me.  I can sail on brand new ships from other lines for significantly cheaper.  Your previous fares already included normal dry dock maintenance.  Either LLP is bad with a checkbook, or you're getting taken to the cleaners.

Capacity for M Class: 8,635

Capacity for S Class: 14,482

Capacity for Revolution: 23,117 (+ more cabins being added)

500,000K / 23K PAX / 365 Days = $60 per person, per day, if paid for within a year.  $12 per day, if paid for within 5 years.

Agree Celebrity pricing is high.

However, it is the constant cutbacks combined with the increased pricing that ensure I do not book Celebrity or other cruise lines.

It is my lack of trust in receiving the product I paid for that really drives my purchasing decision.

It is the same on the next step up level, after numerous cruises with Oceania, I have removed them from consideration. The cutbacks there, the new menu in August 2018 downgraded their once excellent food, the staffing levels have diminished and the incredible arrogance of the on board management (not seen on any of the 10 lines I have patronized), mean that moving up from Celebrity is not necessarily a guarantee that the product is better, especially the pricing increases on Azamara and the Oceania CEO who overtly stated an intent to significantly increase prices.

There were many decades in cruising the 1990's and 2000's, where there were modest annual price increases but the cruise experience was stable and consistent and of high quality on the mass lines. The lines made sufficient money that they launched the OASIS size fleets. The cruise lines were not hurting and neither were customers. 

The apparent need for excessive revenue seems to have launched the "nickle and diming" and downgrading of everything (thread bare towels on Celebrity which I have experienced), beverage packages where you can't get a server and on and on.

For the first time since 1989 (Sovereign of the Seas) I have no cruises booked, nor any in consideration.

Each person has a "tipping point" and I reached mine. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, smith6 said:

----------------We heard Celebrity was voted no 1 in having the cleanest ships we didn't realize that also meant cleaning out their customers bank accounts.

To be sure, it only means that ones' bank account is 'cleared out' if YOU choose to pay what YOU may consider to be exorbitant and nothing more.

Think about it, please, it is supply and demand and cost factor which is involved. When passengers and potential passengers believe the costs is too high, they do not buy.

Fortunately there are choices out there... go for it.

No complaining needed, we can just move on and be happy, if everything else is nearly equivalent to what we expect from X in other areas such as service, food, itinerary etc...

Personally, my only restriction is the time frame when my spouse wants to cruise and usually nothing more, as we pay what we consider fair or we do not.

bon voyage

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

There are great museums in danger of closing every day, so yes, someone has to pay for the art, if one enjoys art...

If not, one can go pay for the rock climbing walls and roller coasters and the like at a much 'reduced' rate in many instances...

bon voyage