whats going on with these skyrocketing prices

smith6

3 minutes ago, nhsails said:

pretty same on all cruises we've been pricing, not just Celebrity

I really have this percetption that they took the lead on this when Edge was opened for booking. We sail NCL and they started jumping up their prices at about that same time too. 

9 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

There are great museums in danger of closing every day, so yes, someone has to pay for the art, if one enjoys art...

If not, one can go pay for the rock climbing walls and roller coasters and the like at a much 'reduced' rate in many instances...

bon voyage

If the fun ships can sell cabins featuring rock climbing walls and roller coasters, then X can featuring the new art collection, such as the one I posted, in their commercial advertisement.

14 minutes ago, Doubt It said:

Agree Celebrity pricing is high.

However, it is the constant cutbacks combined with the increased pricing that ensure I do not book Celebrity or other cruise lines.

It is my lack of trust in receiving the product I paid for that really drives my purchasing decision.

It is the same on the next step up level, after numerous cruises with Oceania, I have removed them from consideration. The cutbacks there, the new menu in August 2018 downgraded their once excellent food, the staffing levels have diminished and the incredible arrogance of the on board management (not seen on any of the 10 lines I have patronized), mean that moving up from Celebrity is not necessarily a guarantee that the product is better, especially the pricing increases on Azamara and the Oceania CEO who overtly stated an intent to significantly increase prices.

There were many decades in cruising the 1990's and 2000's, where there were modest annual price increases but the cruise experience was stable and consistent and of high quality on the mass lines. The lines made sufficient money that they launched the OASIS size fleets. The cruise lines were not hurting and neither were customers. 

The apparent need for excessive revenue seems to have launched the "nickle and diming" and downgrading of everything (thread bare towels on Celebrity which I have experienced), beverage packages where you can't get a server and on and on.

For the first time since 1989 (Sovereign of the Seas) I have no cruises booked, nor any in consideration.

Each person has a "tipping point" and I reached mine. 

We also went through those 1990 and 2000s and you are correct, as we all truly know corporate greed has taken over cruising big time. Popularity is no doubt a huge factor in why it’s happened and will continue to happen until people walk away. Until that time corporate will continue to ask the question “ just how high can we raise prices while cutting back on the product” It’s sad for many of us that have sailed for decades but we live in a capitalist world where greed is good, that’s not going to change anytime soon. As previously stated we are slowly been driven away from our favourite lines, not just because we can’t afford it but also because we refuse to pay what we consider rip off prices. We certainly won’t be treated as mugs by any cruise line.

22 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

To be sure, it only means that ones' bank account is 'cleared out' if YOU choose to pay what YOU may consider to be exorbitant and nothing more.

Think about it, please, it is supply and demand and cost factor which is involved. When passengers and potential passengers believe the costs is too high, they do not buy.

Fortunately there are choices out there... go for it.

No complaining needed, we can just move on and be happy, if everything else is nearly equivalent to what we expect from X in other areas such as service, food, itinerary etc...

Personally, my only restriction is the time frame when my spouse wants to cruise and usually nothing more, as we pay what we consider fair or we do not.

bon voyage

I’m pretty sure everyone on here understands supply and demand.

1 minute ago, yorky said:

I’m pretty sure everyone on here understands supply and demand.

I think its more than that. The stock is way down and they have along way to go to get close to the high in September. I'm not an economist in any way but right now its got to be making a huge impact on a bunch of things that are going on with pricing at a minimum. 

Yorky, your comment about choosing to not pay the prices is the ultimate weapon for a customer.

We can afford any cruise line we wish, but we are not purchasing any cruise line because they are all engaged in the same game, increase prices and downgrade.

I have posted this purchasing message on other boards and some cheerleaders come back and say "the cruise contract" allows them to change anything. Really?  Amazing how gullible some cruise patrons are.

Between the arrogance of the airlines and cruise lines - purchasing a cruise does not have the joy it used to.

But to each there own.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Doubt It said:

Between the arrogance of the airlines and cruise lines - purchasing a cruise does not have the joy it used to.

It still remains a fantastic value for what is included even with the nickel and diming. The sticker shock though does give pause. 

38 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

If the fun ships can sell cabins featuring rock climbing walls and roller coasters, then X can featuring the new art collection, such as the one I posted, in their commercial advertisement.

Yes, you are quite correct and I do not mind, within MY reason, paying for it to a great degree without moaning in public about it...

The art is one of the major reasons I only sail X, so far, unless someone can point out another cruise line with great art on exhibit aboard.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Doubt It said:

Yorky, your comment about choosing to not pay the prices is the ultimate weapon for a customer.

We can afford any cruise line we wish, but we are not purchasing any cruise line because they are all engaged in the same game, increase prices and downgrade.

I have posted this purchasing message on other boards and some cheerleaders come back and say "the cruise contract" allows them to change anything. Really?  Amazing how gullible some cruise patrons are.

But to each there own.

While in fact the cruise contract allows them to charge what they want, it ultimately is your check book or credit card which allows them to do this... let us not be fooled.

Just walk away and do land or stay home instead if it is bothersome or extravagant.... or too rich.

There was a time... or so I read. LOL

bon voyage

• Like 2

Thank you very much Celebrity for raising prices and cutting back, or eliminating things which made cruising something special. We have cut back our cruise spending by 2/3 with none of the money going to you. In December we will celebrate our three year anniversary of our cruise divorce. Thank you for the new car, the two cruises on MSC and most of all, guaranteeing our grand kids will be able to afford a higher education.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

grandgeezer, you are to be congratulated on being a focused and in control purchaser. Manipulated you are not.

There are more former cruise purchasers out there who do not post on CC. Many of our friends who we used to cruise with have ended cruising for the reasons you post, and they let me do the CC postings. Our TA who now organizes our land trips with private concierge car, driver and guide, reports a slow down in bookings. She reported to me that there is significant price resistance and many of her customers refuse the beverage package now.

This discussion about cruising is no different than eliminating a formerly fav restaurant that has cheapened their product and increased prices - to the curb they go.

Today's spin marketing strategies have accelerated consumer buying binges hence why north american consumers are in record debt.  Loyalty programs are designed to create addicted purchasers who buy something they likely do not need, ie yet another cruise.

I cruise now on CC to ensure the cruise companies do not get a penny of my money. 

P.s. - grandgeezer, hope your new car is wonderful, I used a portion of my cruise fund - I have a Porsche in the garage!

Am I the only one who is thinking that they are getting to the point where a cruise line (Celebrity) and experience we once enjoyed we may no longer be able to afford?

Its not a case of choice on this one - it is a case of we just can not afford it! If that becomes the case, then we will be genuinely saddened not to be able to entertain the idea of sailing with Celebrity for our annual holiday if the itinerary and ship suited. To suggest folk move to other cruise lines really does not help …… we would be with the other American cruise lines now if we wanted to sail with them.

Regarding 'works of art' . Like all art, 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' and personally some of it really does nothing whatsoever for me. I don't go on a ship to look at art to be honest - I use the ports for that. Am  I looking forward to seeing Mr Edge? Yes. Would I survive if he was put out to pasture on land and I didn't see him? Yes ………….

3 hours ago, MizDemeanor said:

I really have this percetption that they took the lead on this when Edge was opened for booking. We sail NCL and they started jumping up their prices at about that same time too. 

NCL has their own $400 Million fleet refurbishment going on, too. As well as new builds coming.

www.ncl.com/norwegian-edge

So does Carnival (Paradise / Elation / Victory to Radiance / Triumph to Sunrise)

So does Royal Caribbean ( Refurbished Adventure Of The Seas and "Amped Up" Mariner and Navigator Of The Seas)

IMO X has pretty much reached it's price limit.  They're pushing up against Oceania and Viking which offer much better food and service.  Plus, at least for suites, MSC and Norwegian  offer very competitive product.

The pricing strategy they appear to be following is to offer big promotions early (January was all 4 percs, Feb was $25 deposits), then once they hit a certain pre-sale level they raise prices through the roof.   They then keep prices high until f/p date after which they drop steeply.   Have seen this pattern on our last few sailings.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After four excellent cruises with Celebrity, we went Cunard last autumn, and will do the same next year. It’s a different experience, but of comparable quality, and significantly cheaper. We’re also trying P&O this autumn. Simply can’t justify some ridiculous pricing by Celebrity.

stuart 

As they have 2 cruise lines, it makes sense for them to differentiate the two. It is is just a price hikes but without improvement in service, there will be many jumping the ship. At the end, it is the market and competition determine the price.

22 minutes ago, Wiltonian said:

After four excellent cruises with Celebrity, we went Cunard last autumn, and will do the same next year. It’s a different experience, but of comparable quality, and significantly cheaper. We’re also trying P&O this autumn. Simply can’t justify some ridiculous pricing by Celebrity.

stuart 

If it helps, P&O are ok. We swap between the 2 cruise lines and have never had a bad cruise on either. Have booked P&O for 2020 on Oceana. We have worked out that for the price of EDGE this year we have been able to book a 2 week fly cruise in a balcony cabin in August and a week's ski holiday in February with lots of spare change. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Which ship are you trying?

10 hours ago, keesar said:

I feel the same way.  The price on a Southern Caribbean recently went from $2400 to $3800 per person for Aqua Class.  I have not received a 50% raise in the past year.  A 7 day Eastern Caribbean   went up 20%.  We booked it on board.    I guess that is a "steal".  (lol).   

Is that the January 31 2020 cruise you mean tha went up

I'm on the disney boards and hear the exact same thing - people disgusted at WDW's soaring beyond reason prices and nickel/diming.

Patience. No one "needs" a cruise. Save those dollars, do a cheaper land trip and I guarantee when that next recession hits - and it always does - your dollar will go much further.

There will be a lot of empty cabins to fill. Watch them come back with those old deals everyone misses.

It'll be 10x worse for the cruiselines during the next crash vs back in '09, as there are far more ships now, including mega ships - so much capacity to fill.

Edited by Flafun888
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Presto2 said:

If it helps, P&O are ok. We swap between the 2 cruise lines and have never had a bad cruise on either. Have booked P&O for 2020 on Oceana. We have worked out that for the price of EDGE this year we have been able to book a 2 week fly cruise in a balcony cabin in August and a week's ski holiday in February with lots of spare change. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Which ship are you trying?

Arcadia - 24 days to Canada and back in September. 

16 minutes ago, Wiltonian said:

Arcadia - 24 days to Canada and back in September. 

Sorry not done Arcadia but reviews are good. I am sure you will have a great time. As long as you remember that P&O is different and more British you will be fine. Happy sailing ;-)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wiltonian said:

stuart 

Cunard has some competitive prices in Australia and Asia, at least for repos.  Between HAL, Cunard, Azamara, Oceania, Royal Caribbean (dining package!), Windstar, and Avalon, we'll have plenty to choose from.  We won't even look back until LLP is fired, and someone proven competent, has taken her place.

If people think the new, subjectively ugly modern art being added, is worth paying extra for, it is going to take more than their wallets to pay for it.  New cruises have to be drawn to it as well.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

1 hour ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Cunard has some competitive prices in Australia and Asia, at least for repos.  Between HAL, Cunard, Azamara, Oceania, Royal Caribbean (dining package!), Windstar, and Avalon, we'll have plenty to choose from.  We won't even look back until LLP is fired, and someone proven competent, has taken her place.

If people think the new, subjectively ugly modern art being added, is worth paying extra for, it is going to take more than their wallets to pay for it.  New cruises have to be drawn to it as well.

I know sad....., we love Celebrity but no way will we pay those outrageous prices they quoted us. We will just move on.

• Thanks 1