More Pics.... Less Words

Jamericannn

Here's some nostalgia for you...a short video of the old, beautiful, and classic SS Emerald Seas being turned by tug boats in Nassau Harbor in preparation for docking.

For those that don't know, the SS Emerald Seas was built in 1944 by the US Government as a troopship for WWII service as the General W.P. Richardson (If I recall correctly).  She later was rebuilt as a passenger ship and went through several owners including Chandris (now known as Celebrity Cruises), Eastern Steamship Lines, and even did a short stint for PeaceBoat.  In the video, she's sailing under the banner of Admiral Cruises, which was owned by Royal Caribbean at the time of this filming.

She continued to sail until around the year 2000.  Here's an interesting overview of her history:

https://ssmaritime.com/oceanexplorer.htm

The video was shot from the bow of NCL's old Sunward, who my wife and I were cruising on in celebration of our 10th wedding anniversary.

Hopefully, the video will load properly...

Garnett

Edited by N7786W Flyer
  • Like 4

Here's also another (even shorter) video of the cruise ships docked in Nassau during our visit in 1989.

In the video, there are NCL's Sunward II, Admiral Cruises SS Emerald Seas, Premier Cruises (also known as "The Big Red Boat) Atlantic and Oceanic (the Oceanic was a beautiful ship both inside and out in her hey days), and lastly, Carnival's original ship the SS Mardi Gras (who also had beautiful wooden interiors).

All of the ships in this video are no longer with us as the longest lasting ship, Atlantic, was scrapped in 2018 having last sailed for MSC as the MSC Melody.

Garnett

Edited by N7786W Flyer
  • Like 4

Last video...

This was taken as we entered the Port of Miami at the end of our cruise. 

Ships viewed in this video are Carnival's second ship, the SS Carnivale, Chandris' SS Britanis (which was built in 1932), and behind her is the SS Emerald Seas.  Viewed coming into the port for docking is Dolphin Cruises' SS Dolphin IV.

This video is notable in some small way as it appears to document a closing era in which double-stacked liners frequented Miami (the Britanis and Emerald Seas).

As before, I'm standing on the deck of NCL's MS Sunward II.  Note how small the Sunward II is when viewing some of the shots of her deck areas.  For reference, the Sunward II was 14,000 tons....which is miniscule compared to the ships sailing today.

Interestingly enough (at least to me), the largest ship in these videos is (I believe) the Oceanic, which was around 39,000 tons at the time.   Both the Britanis and Emerald Seas were in the 24,000 ton range.  Carnivale and Mardi Gras were about 27,000 tons.  The Dolphin IV is the smallest of the batch at 10,000 tons.

Garnett

Edited by N7786W Flyer
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Keys2Heaven said:

Maybe this has already been suggested, but I use the Ship Mate app and there are TONS of pics on there with short descriptions as you indicate you'd like to see.

But that would take the fun out of posting here as I believe was Jamericannn  intention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMG_0327.thumb.JPG.3b5623c0f352c8d02c89969329fb6f06.JPGThis was such a great idea for a post. We have 17 cruises under our belt and 4 booked. We recognize many ports and stops. It does get the blood moving for the next trip, 60 some days till we're on the Panorama. Thank You!! This was entering the Panama Canal on the Splendor.

Edited by MEUB1112
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...