Specific TV question for Mariner TV’s

travelwell

Extract from the post linked below:

Just leaving Mariner and found those awful Anomi TVs have been replaced by Samsung series 477 in 32" and 40" varieties.

These have USB inputs as well as 9 pin DIN and 3 off HDMIs BUT...

Whilst they are not locked into hotel mode like the old Anomis the Regent branded remotes are missing the one vital button to select an input.

So it's still not easy to display your own pictures on the TV but it's not impossible.

If you have a tablet with an IR port then it's easy to emulate a proper Samsung remote and then displaying pictures from your USB stick is easy or the cheat way out is to borrow a proper Samsung remote (from a laundrette).

It's a great shame that regent saved a few dollars by buying the 477 series instead of the 690 series as the latter have AllShareCast (aka Mediacast) built in which would enable wireless connection from any tablet and any phone to the TV, so easy to see your pictures on the big screen.

I think that the above post is about the TV's from before the remodel. I was on the Mainer in January 2019 and I seem to recall the there is now an auxiliary HDMI port next to the electrical plugs on the desk. I assume that this is connected to the TV. I didn't try to use it so I don't have any particulars. Maybe someone else will add more info.

J

6 hours ago, wcsdkqh said:

I suspect that jack is a usb for charging phone or other electronics rather than hdmi. They look similar

Ahhh No they don't.

I really do know the difference between as USB port and and HDMI port. 

Top is a HDMI. Bottom is USB (3).

J

41aRq-Kd+7L._SX425_.jpg

While I know less than nothing about memory sticks, the woman next to me in the Business Center on Explorer last week was using one (she was telling me about it).  So, while it is not a television, you can use them on Explorer (not sure about other ships and I know that the TS was asking about Mariner — it might be worth checking the computers on the Mariner).

13 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

While I know less than nothing about memory sticks, the woman next to me in the Business Center on Explorer last week was using one (she was telling me about it).  So, while it is not a television, you can use them on Explorer (not sure about other ships and I know that the TS was asking about Mariner — it might be worth checking the computers on the Mariner).

On my last voyage on the Mariner, the Computer Manger said that the computer USB post were now blocked. I didn't try it for myself. But if correct, then one would NOT be able to use a memory stick or any other USB device on their computers.

It was nice in the past, if I did not bring my own laptop I used the ship computers to transfer the photos off my camera and phone to a memory stick for storage. To bad the if the ship has stopped access, but I understand that in today's world of computer viruses the ship is trying to be careful.

J

There are other options to get photos off of a camera and onto a Apple device (and thereby the Cloud) - I've had both adapters that plug into my Lightning port on iPads and iPhones that you insert your SD card, and I also have an EyeFi Mobi card in my Nikon DLSR that will transfer my photos to my iPad wirelessly.

So if you're looking to offload photos, there are options.  If you're looking to view photos/videos on the TV in the cabin, well, fewer options.  Although I think you could possibly buy a Samsung remote on Amazon that would work on the TVs and allow you to change the input source?  

Last time I tried usb on tv is not blocked - very useful for charging phones, tablets etc. But the regent remote won't select it (and the magic button on the back bottom right won't either).

It used to be the case that the remotes in the launderettes were proper ones so you just borrow one.  Sadly it only took a few to not return them and just hog them.

Otherwise an ir blaster on a phone.

I'll be taking my universal remote control, which is easily configured to the TV type; and a HDMI cable. The remote then allows input select so you can get to any connections on the TV. Haven't used on Regent yet but it has certainly worked elsewhere. Even so, our previous regent cruise was to Alaska, some years ago, and the movie and TV offerings were excellent, so I expect to only use the laptop for work and photo purposes.

Folks, Thanks for the information. My wife "Travel Well" asked my original question as I am new to the boards.  We are due to do a world cruise on the Mariner in 2021. I wanted to display some of my photos on the TV during the trip. Let me play back what I think I have heard. I am an electrical engineer with 3 decades of TV specific knowledge. If that helps. 

I hear that currently (2019) the TVs in the suites are Samsung. (Good Choice) They don't have the wireless option. (I don't know what you are referring to except maybe Chromecast?  Which doesn't work well with my apple laptop. so no worries.)  I hear that Regent has provided both USB and HDMI connectors on the desk that may connect to the TV.  BUT, BUT, the TV remote does not allow you to select a different input. (Strange, why provide connectors with no way of selecting it?)  Is there a button on the TV, typically side or bottom that allows you to change the input? I suppose I could bring my Samsung remote from home with me. Or bring a universal remote. (My phone and tablet are apple and do not have IR)  

If there is HDMI I can connect an old Apple TV box and use "Apple Air Play" to duplicate my laptop screen or iPad screen.  If I put photos on a USB memory stick... then I could display those but I'd rather duplicate my other screens with airplay. 

BTW, I don't trust USB ports. There are many ways to hack devices if you plug in to someone elses USB. I use a USB blocker that allows me to charge devices and blocks data transfers.  Though for a memory stick with photos, I think it would be safe. 

So to refine the question. Is there a button on the TV to change inputs?  Will a universal remote allow changing inputs?  Does the HDMI connector on the desk really lead to the TV? 

Thanks,

• Like 1

Well, I guess you can tell I married a techie. His question is way over my head but seems specific to Regent and instead of going to tech question site of Cruise Critic. I would love to see our photos on the TV. But I now have visions of a suite case of power cords and remotes. Did I ever mention I hate cords....

Tagalong well

Chromecast aka WIDI aka Miracast.  But not on Mariner.

The standard Samsung button or rather mini joystick on rear bottom right did not allow input switcing.

I dont thinK The OP said there was HDMI socket on wall, just appeared to be.  I suspect that this was USB charging port or a couple ogf them.

Hey Tagalongwell, welcome to cruise critic!  I think we may be scuppered in our attempts to show photos on our TVs.  But perhaps by then something will change, or someone will come up with a definitive workaround. I take it that your wife is the travel planner, and you just, uh, tag along.  Ditto with me and David the Wonderer.  Hope we all get to meet in (less than) a couple of years!

David and I are both techies to a greater or lesser extent. Although I'm not particularly a hardware person, I'm willing to try anything.  I'll have my laptop with me--if we need special cables presumably I'll know by then.  And who knows what kind of cellphones we'll have in another two years!

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

• 1 month later...

An update, just off Mariner.

In our suite both tvs were Samsung 690 series. Wireless screen mirroring works fine as does  playing back jpg photos and mp4 videos from a USB stick plugged into the tv.

Still found 477 series in launderettes and whilst no screen mirroring would still play photos and videos from USB stick.

BUT the Regent remotes will not allow selection of input nor will onboard controls so to view USB files or screen mirror you need a different remote or as I do use a universal remote app on a mobile phone that has an IR port.

10 hours ago, Jonoro7 said:

An update, just off Mariner.

In our suite both tvs were Samsung 690 series. Wireless screen mirroring works fine as does  playing back jpg photos and mp4 videos from a USB stick plugged into the tv.

Still found 477 series in launderettes and whilst no screen mirroring would still play photos and videos from USB stick.

BUT the Regent remotes will not allow selection of input nor will onboard controls so to view USB files or screen mirror you need a different remote or as I do use a universal remote app on a mobile phone that has an IR port.

I guess that's good and bad news.  I can't imagine bringing a universal remote with me on a cruise, and my G S8 doesn't have one.  Oh well.  I'll have my laptop so I can look at pictures any old time I guess.