Montego Bay - worth the trip from Falmouth?

heckofagator

We've done Dunns and Blue Hole.  Thinking about heading to Montego Bay, possibly to take a catamaran, but not decided on that for sure. 

Is it worth the transportation cost to get to Montego Bay?  We've been to Ochos Rios several times but nothing outside of that. 

Thanks! 

I personally haven't done the catamarans in montego bay but heard others say they are enjoyable, you will find ocho rios has alot more tours than Montego Bay, I say do a catamaran then relax on a beach. If you are arriving at the falmouth port, montego bay is not that far about 35 minutes, so it shouldnt be a long ride.

I am trying to figure this out too. On LOS docking 4/11 and trying to decide if it is worth it to try to go to Doctors Cave Beach. Cant really find taxi pricing from Falmouth port. Like you have already done Dunn's and Blue Hole

well, we're back from the cruise.  Ending up getting off of the ship around noon and headed over to the bus/taxi stand.  We ended up doing a RT transfer to Montego Bay for $20pp.  After we got dropped off and walked around Hip Strip for a few, I was wondering, now what the heck are we going to do for the next 3 hours.  

We ended up at Margaritaville and bought a couple beers and hung out on their chairs and did all of their water activities.  We saw a few catamarans that were totally packed cruising right off shore.  I think I saw them stop too for snorkeling, like what seemed to be 150' from shore.  Kinda lame.

All in all, it was nice to get out of the port.  I'm glad we found margaritaville.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 3:24 PM, heckofagator said:

well, we're back from the cruise.  Ending up getting off of the ship around noon and headed over to the bus/taxi stand.  We ended up doing a RT transfer to Montego Bay for $20pp.  After we got dropped off and walked around Hip Strip for a few, I was wondering, now what the heck are we going to do for the next 3 hours.  

We ended up at Margaritaville and bought a couple beers and hung out on their chairs and did all of their water activities.  We saw a few catamarans that were totally packed cruising right off shore.  I think I saw them stop too for snorkeling, like what seemed to be 150' from shore.  Kinda lame.

All in all, it was nice to get out of the port.  I'm glad we found margaritaville.

Did the vendors bother you much as you were walking around the Hip Strip?

5 minutes ago, maldenmusic said:

Did the vendors bother you much as you were walking around the Hip Strip?

It wasn't horrible, but yes, the shop owners were def asking if you wanted to come in their shop.  What I remember most, though, was being asked if we needed a taxi.  All of the drivers would ask from their moving car and would drive off immediately when we said no, but we must have been asked 20+ times.

The most pushy vendors by far were the ones at the Haiti port.  There was a small section where they were all set up near the back.  We went to one of the beaches pretty far back and had to pass by here twice.  they all were trying to get you into their shops.  You really have to be forceful as they will keep following you and when you leave one you'll walk right into another.

On 3/18/2019 at 4:24 PM, heckofagator said:

After we got dropped off and walked around Hip Strip for a few, I was wondering, now what the heck are we going to do for the next 3 hours.  

We ended up at Margaritaville and bought a couple beers and hung out on their chairs and did all of their water activities. 

I got to Montego Bay frequently for work. After exploring a few times, I don't even leave the hotel anymore, and it seems like most hotel guests on vacation stay on property as well. Very little traffic in and out except for people checking in or out. 

Based on what I've experienced, I would not go out of my way to go to Montego Bay on a cruise visit. Glad to hear that you made the most of it! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 3:24 PM, heckofagator said:

Thank you for sharing! How does the RT bus transfer work? We want to head to Montego Bay, eat at Scotchies and maybe hang out at the beach for a bit. Is it only a bus there and a bus back or is it like a hop on hop off bus style? 

8 minutes ago, malmo288 said:

Thank you for sharing! How does the RT bus transfer work? We want to head to Montego Bay, eat at Scotchies and maybe hang out at the beach for a bit. Is it only a bus there and a bus back or is it like a hop on hop off bus style? 

There's a whole taxi/bus station just past all of the shops in port.  Its super easy to find.  There's a big sign with a map and it has all of the prices to go by bus/taxi,. etc to various locations.  There are 4-5 guys out there to answer questions and to try to get you on one of the buses.  Although you pay the bus driver directly, so I'm not sure how that works - maybe they get a kickback.  Our driver took us and then set up a time to meet him back.  The same group that went out all came back together.  He collects the $20 when he drops you off in MB.

I don' t know if there's a hopon/off bus, offhand.

Edited by heckofagator

• 1 month later...