Thermal Suite questions

hmmm

MyDH and I are booked for a Panama Cruise this April on the Volendam.  Only cruised 5 times, and this is our first Holland trip.  We purchased a Thermal Suite pass for an Alaskan Cruise, and loved it.......my questions............have you still used the Thermal Suite when you have cruised in warmer areas?.............is the Thermal Suite available during Port days, if we don’t feel like going ashore?................What typically is the cost for  20 days for a couple?................. How big is the Thelasotherapy pool on the Volendam?...................... How many steam rooms, and are they aromatherapy?...............What are the typical hours of operation?................ any other insights that you may have, as we are fairly new to the whole thing..........

Yes, I have used the thermal suite on a warm-weather cruise. I rarely use the sauna, I use the hydropool and ceramic loungers. DH and I would use the thermal suite in the morning if we didn't have a tour. Walking in the hydropool was good physical therapy. 

It will be open every day. I don't know the price for 20 days. 

On the smaller ships, like Volendam, you don't get the large hydropool that is on a Vista or larger class of ship. It's a large hot tub. No "pipe beds," no room to walk around. 

15 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

On the smaller ships, like Volendam, you don't get the large hydropool that is on a Vista or larger class of ship. It's a large hot tub. No "pipe beds," no room to walk around. 

For me, this is a reason why I no longer book this amenity on the smaller ships.  I did so once, was very disappointed that the hydropool was NOT a hydropool--no "bubbly, bubbly"--as the spa staff member told me it was when I did the tour on Embarkation Day.  I found that I rarely used the Thermal Suite area afterwards:  almost a complete waste of $$.

On the other Classes of ships, booking the Thermal Suite is among the first things I do after I embark.  Usually, even before lunch.

7 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

For me, this is a reason why I no longer book this amenity on the smaller ships.  I did so once, was very disappointed that the hydropool was NOT a hydropool--no "bubbly, bubbly"--as the spa staff member told me it was when I did the tour on Embarkation Day.  I found that I rarely used the Thermal Suite area afterwards:  almost a complete waste of $$.

On the other Classes of ships, booking the Thermal Suite is among the first things I do after I embark.  Usually, even before lunch.

I feel the same way. The lack of a proper hydropool is a deal-breaker for me. I was disappointed that the hydropool on the K didn't have the side jets, but the pipe beds were good.

8 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I feel the same way. The lack of a proper hydropool is a deal-breaker for me. I was disappointed that the hydropool on the K didn't have the side jets, but the pipe beds were good.

No side jets surprised me as well, but I did like the pipe beds.  They are at a height that was easy to climb into and out of.  (I had disembarked Royal Princess a couple of days before embarking NS.  I booked The Enclave, their Thermal Suite/hydropool area.  Their pipe beds were too high off the floor of the pool for me too comfortably climb onto.  There was a rain shower feature in the middle of the pool that was rather neat, however.  And, there were more options for the specialty showers at different temperatures than what HAL offers.)

30 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

No side jets surprised me as well, but I did like the pipe beds.  They are at a height that was easy to climb into and out of.  (I had disembarked Royal Princess a couple of days before embarking NS.  I booked The Enclave, their Thermal Suite/hydropool area.  Their pipe beds were too high off the floor of the pool for me too comfortably climb onto.  There was a rain shower feature in the middle of the pool that was rather neat, however.  And, there were more options for the specialty showers at different temperatures than what HAL offers.)

Thank you for the information on the Royal Princess's hydropool.

1 minute ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Thank you for the information on the Royal Princess's hydropool.

You're welcome.  Another difference between The Enclave and HAL's Thermal Suite/Hydropool is their location within the ship.  The Enclave is on one of the lower decks; so it is a darker area.  Maybe providing a more relaxing area for some?

5 minutes ago, beaming90 said:

Going to Alaska in August and I expect it to be cold, so I can't wait to use the thermal suite pass.  So excited for this cruise!

We went late August, except for right in tracys arm, it was actually very hot, warmer there then the interior of British Columbia, ( which is very warm);

Edited by Jareds_mommytoo

Wow!  Ours is early in August but I am so excited!  I have never seen wild life on the ships that I have sailed on except for a really large sea turtle and flying fish.  I was going to tell my friends I saw a giraffe in the water since I kept complaining that I had to make up seeing wildlife in the water,  on my last cruise and that night when I got to dinner there was a bobble head giraffe in my water glass so I could say I saw wildlife in the water.  I hope all that changes with this trip!

20 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

You're welcome.  Another difference between The Enclave and HAL's Thermal Suite/Hydropool is their location within the ship.  The Enclave is on one of the lower decks; so it is a darker area.  Maybe providing a more relaxing area for some?

When we booked our first cruise on the Royal, we were quite disappointed that our favorite cabin location on Plaza deck had been replaced with the Enclave.  No more OV cabins:  only balcony, inside or suite.  As we were on an EB TA, the balcony was of no use during the crossing (8 days with one port in the Azores).  Also prefer the spa's thermal suite on the older Princess ships which are less expensive than on the Royal.  Did enjoy HAL's thermal suite and esp. the hydropool on the Zuiderdam.

Edited by BarbinMich

8 minutes ago, beaming90 said:

Wow!  Ours is early in August but I am so excited!  I have never seen wild life on the ships that I have sailed on except for a really large sea turtle and flying fish.  I was going to tell my friends I saw a giraffe in the water since I kept complaining that I had to make up seeing wildlife in the water,  on my last cruise and that night when I got to dinner there was a bobble head giraffe in my water glass so I could say I saw wildlife in the water.  I hope all that changes with this trip!

One of our longer cruises we pulled the kids put of school, my daughters science teacher gave her an independent assignment, she had to write about animals she saw, we seriously didnt see anything except birds amd lizards that trip, the cruise director kept seeing her and every time she was doing homework so he stole all her books and didnt give them back until the end of the cruise, and wrote her teacher a note lol 

05C99D81-BABD-4F83-9B8F-5ECFF7022E5B.jpeg