LATAM vs AA Business Class

teacherman

We plan to fly business class from MIA to SCL.  Current choices are a LATAM Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner or an American Airlines 777. Either ticket would be booked through the cruise line.  I have no experience with either the expected service level or aircraft.  Any advice/information is welcome.  Also, this could be a 6 hour lay over at MIA.  How is the AA lounge?

LATAM runs with an older-generation business seat, while AA has newer "pod" type seating.  There are several different configurations for the AA 777s, so you might get any variety - also, the 777-200 and 777-300 are different.

Have not flown either, so can't give you more than general info.

If you are a couple that wants to have "engagement" and conversation during your flight, the LATAM seats might work out better, as the AA seats are designed for greater individual privacy.  OTOH, all AA seats have direct aisle access.  You can easily see photos of the various interiors online.

I would probably go with AA as their seats are newer and I prefer the configuration - everybody has aisle access.  My limited experience with Lan/Latam business class has been okay but nothing special.  AA has improved its game big time.

There are two or three different AA lounges (Admirals Clubs) at MIA.  They're all pretty much of a much; a couple have showers.  Miami is a major AA hub, so the lounges can get crowded at times.  

Latam has a lounge closer to where its flights depart (on a different concourse than AA.)  I've never used it, but I'd expect it also to be okay, nothing over the top.

You're going to have a nice flight in either. As the other poster pointed out LATAM has an older style of business class seats, which are better if it is important to talk and interact during the flight with whomever you are traveling with. American's business class seats are more modern pod like. Having flown business on the AA 777s new product, it is great. I assume you are looking at an overnight red eye, either will be comfortable but I would prefer American's seats over LATAM. Even in the POD I was able to speak with my wife and converse with her a bit as she is a bit of a nervous flyer. 

You'll have a long layover but flying in on AA and flying out on LATAM will require you to re-clear security. With 6-hours that is a non-factor though. 

The AA lounges are good. There are three. The ones in D are larger and I prefer those. I actually like the one by D15 the most. If you have an Amex there is also a Centurion Lounge, which is smaller but has great food and drink options all complementary if you have a Platinum card or higher. 

The AA loungers have complementary open bar as well (well drinks) and usually a good assortment of snacks. 

I don't know much about LATAMs lounge in J. 

Edited by Flymia

When I flew to SCL, I seriously considered LATAM simply because it was a  foreign airline.  I have had excellent flights on such airlines, i.e, KLM in Economy and Singapore in Business.  After much debating, I chose my trusted, tried, and true Delta for my flight in Business.  And was not disappointed.  I believe the plane was a version of the 767.  I know my comment does not directly apply to your question, but I thought I would offer my thoughts of an American carrier vs. a foreign carrier. 

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

We had an excellent LATAM flight for Sydney to Auckland. I would travel with them anytime.

Lucky you! Every time I've tried this, it's been cancelled and I've been put onto Qantas instead. :classic_sad:

(The aircraft operates Santiago-Auckland-Sydney-Auckland-Santiago. So if it's running late, the quick fix is to cancel the Auckland-Sydney-Auckland part of the rotation.)