main dining

i was on the Liberty a couple of weeks ago and was really disappointed.  I don't usually complain but i wanted to post this to see if it was just this week or if it has changed.  The last cruise I was on was Liberty 12/17.  Menu was great.  This time, the menu had changed so much.  Same appetizers everynite, same dinner 2 different nights. nothing really appetizing.  I went to look to see what was on the dinner menu everyday and it was on the windjammer.  This was the first time we had gone to the windjammer for meals.  We probably won't go back to MDR.  On top of that, the first night we didn't get our main course until an hour after we were there.  It has really been a disappointment.  I was looking for the different cold soups only had 1 night and it was again, in the windjammer.

We have also come to prefer the Windjammer for dinner.  The MDR is very hectic and is not an enjoyable place to dine anymore.  Last cruise on Adventure, dinner in the MDR was interrupted on 3 nights with the singing, ra ra for the wait staff, etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Host Clarea said:

We have also gotten to prefer the Windjammer for dinner.  The MDR is very hectic and is not an enjoyable place to dine anymore.

Think this is why I prefer the specialty dining options. They are so low key and laid back compared to walking into the dining room. 

10 minutes ago, MrFunInTheSun said:

Think this is why I prefer the specialty dining options. They are so low key and laid back compared to walking into the dining room. 

I'm thinking this is the goal of the cruise line(s) - to make more people want to go to the extra-charge dining options.

18 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

We have also come to prefer the Windjammer for dinner.  The MDR is very hectic and is not an enjoyable place to dine anymore.  Last cruise on Adventure, dinner in the MDR was interrupted on 3 nights with the singing, ra ra for the wait staff, etc.

I am always surprised by such statements.....the platic plates alone are a no go for a dinner at the Jammer!👎

So far the MDR is still a bit better than the WJ....tried the WJ for dinner but we did not like the ambience and the food was not that much different than the lunch options....the melted ice-cream for  dessert was just discusting!🤮

1 minute ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

I am always surprised by such statements.....the platic plates alone are a no go for a dinner at the Jammer!👎

So far the MDR is still a bit better than the WJ....tried the WJ for dinner but we did not like the ambience and the food was not that much different than the lunch options....the melted ice-cream for  dessert was just discusting!🤮

I guess we don't have a problem with plastic plates, never even thought of it.  We find there is much more variety in WJ, like the theme nights, and enjoy the desserts there more than those in the MDR.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I'm thinking this is the goal of the cruise line(s) - to make more people want to go to the extra-charge dining options.

To me spending $199 for the week is money well spent. Eat at a specialty restaurant of my choice for lunch and each night for dinner.  Lunch on embarkation day, lunch on sea days, even been able to get a late lunch on some port days all part of that ultimate dining package. 

1 minute ago, MrFunInTheSun said:

To me spending $199 for the week is money well spent. Eat at a specialty restaurant of my choice for lunch and each night for dinner.  Lunch on embarkation day, lunch on sea days, even been able to get a late lunch on some port days all part of that ultimate dining package. 

I'm glad it works out for you.  You sound like the perfect customer! :classic_biggrin:

4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I guess we don't have a problem with plastic plates, never even thought of it.  We find there is much more variety in WJ, like the theme nights, and enjoy the desserts there more than those in the MDR.

Same here.  We like the variety also, and the atmosphere feels a lot more relaxed, with no waiters scurrying around like in the MDR.  And we can almost always get a table with a great view.

Edited by time4u2go

17 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

If that were truly the goal they would increase the number of seats in the specialty restaurants and decrease them in the MDR. If the MDR ever fails to meet our needs then I guess we'll do other forms of vacation.

Edited by sparks1093

Just now, sparks1093 said:

If that were truly the goal they would increase the number of seats in the specialty restaurants and decrease them in the MDR.

They are at least doing the former of those two.  They are adding specialty restaurants to ships that didn't previously have them.

Just now, time4u2go said:

They are at least doing the former of those two.  They are adding specialty restaurants to ships that didn't previously have them.

Yes, and each one has a special "theme". "Themes" don't do anything for me.🙂

Just now, Thorben-Hendrik said:

We had a hard time findig the "Theme" advertised.....

That seems to vary by ship (probably F&B manager).   Sometimes they post the theme in the Compass,  but more often it's not mentioned.

Just off Indy and never went to the MDR - had planned to but then just never did, but did Izumi 2 nights and LOVED it and our bill was $14 each time (2 orders of sushi each night).  So well spent and realized I never missed the MDR, and won't make that part of our plans on future cruises.  We were fine in the Windjammer or some nights just snacked as we weren't too hungry and one night was a nacho platter at Playmakers.

12 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

We had "Italy" well the Jammer always serves Pizza and Spaghetti so big deal....:classic_rolleyes:

What about the Chicken Marsala,  Lasagna, Eggplant Parmesan, etc.?

It sounds like I may be the exception here, but here is my take. I will avoid the WJ at all costs! I like to sit and have a relaxing meal when I am on vacation. I spend enough of my time at home cooking and cleaning! I would like to sit down and relax with my family and enjoy my meal. I don't like to always have someone missing from the the table while they get more of something. I also think the WJ is a germ magnet. Too many times I see people grabbing food with their and and not using the tongs provided ( kids and adults). I just told my husband I will avoid the buffet at all costs on our next cruise.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Emptynest17 said:

...  I like to sit and have a relaxing meal when I am on vacation. ...

We find that difficult on the MDR.  We find WJ dinner to be much more relaxing.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Go for a  table for 2 and on average you'll be out in a bit more than an hour.  On our Symphony Feb. 2 sail, we averaged about an hour as the waiter took our order as soon as we sat.  One night we were leaving as they began playing the Macarena.

What I found in both the Symphony & Anthem sail is that the menu is basically static except for 2 items in each category changing each night.  I know some Ops are going to jump all over me, but bring back Dynamic Dining.:classic_rolleyes:

We are also toying with the idea of not visiting the MDR on Harmony.  While we enjoy the menu choices, we also have 3 kids, who happen to be finicky eaters, and the length of time needed for dining room dinner makes mealtime stressful.  We may simply either do most meals in WJ, or have the kids in AO after they have dinner, and the two of us go to Izumi, Chops, Jamie’s, etc.

24 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

What about the Chicken Marsala,  Lasagna, Eggplant Parmesan, etc.?

Where?  in the itaiian  restaurants??  Maybe the Chicken Marsala was served in WJ, but twice I have been to Jamies and found no chicken ,except served  plain, with bone intact.   very disappointing.   They do not serve typical itaiian food. Their food choices were terrible.  I did not  have to spend extra for spaghetti and meat sauce   Will never go back there.