Cruise Critic Community
twitterpated31

Kids Club with Special Needs

You keep mentioning DCL. Yet you do realise they work to the same 1:25 ratio right? Only have a lot more kids in at one time and often go over that ratio so more chaos, more running and 100% of the time is free play....

Royal have their ratio and stick to it. Once its reached it's one out one in. So not understaffed. The first half an hour is free play so everyone can get checked in which is probably the crazy time you saw. Go back mid session and it would be way calmer than any Disney club...

I've worked in both so can truthfully say this...

15 minutes ago, GarlicBread said:

You keep mentioning DCL. Yet you do realise they work to the same 1:25 ratio right? Only have a lot more kids in at one time and often go over that ratio so more chaos, more running and 100% of the time is free play....

Royal have their ratio and stick to it. Once its reached it's one out one in. So not understaffed. The first half an hour is free play so everyone can get checked in which is probably the crazy time you saw. Go back mid session and it would be way calmer than any Disney club...

I've worked in both so can truthfully say this...

Thanks for sharing that about DCL - good to know! Believe me, I’d never take our young children again, but certainly without knowing 100% what we are getting into. And nope, many have assumed we went in there right at the beginning but we went in there about an hour before lunch time on the 2nd day. And no, we didn’t go back because our kids were so upset! They are really fun kids that love all sorts of adventures and don’t shy away from much of anything but neither of them would agre e to giving it another try, no matter how hard we pushed. 

dbazarandeh,

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Royal, but one of the things that many of us have learned the hard way is that if you call Royal and speak to 10 different people you will likely get 10 different answers. Unfortunately, this happens a lot and they should have all employees knowing the correct info. Cruise critic is a great place to learn since many people on here have been there and done that many times. I'm not saying don't call Royal, but maybe back up their info here.

18 hours ago, dbarazandeh said:

You are missing my point completely. First of all, it's horrible if there is a class anywhere that allows such a ratio you have mentioned. That's just wrong on many levels. Secondly, I did not at all say that the staff needed to be fully versed on how to meet the specific needs of my kids. What I am saying is that they clearly state they can handle special needs and they obviously couldn't handle ANY special needs I can think of with ratios like that. NOR WOULD I HAVE EVER LEFT MY NON-SPECIAL NEEDS KIDS THERE WHEN THEY WERE SMALL. It felt unsafe, chaotic and not fun. I didn't need one-on-one supervision, nor did I need any unusual kind of thing - just not a ratio that insane. Many of the kids in there looked worried, uneasy and just like you'd expect a kid to look if they were overwhelmed, overstimulated and disconnected. It was awful and had nothing to do with the special needs we had...it was far from being an environment to handle special needs, when they state over and over that they are all trained and welcome special needs kids.

I grew up in Taiwan until age 9. My elementary school classroom had 60+ for 1 teacher. I also was told that in high school it can be as much as 100 students in one class with 1 teacher, sometimes with an aid. That said, I don't think Taiwanese education system is that bad. They are focused a bit more on academics than a broad-based education here in Canada after I moved here.

That said, I have a 2 young ones (4.5 years old with ASD/SPD/OCD/ADHD) and a 18 month old so I can totally understand where you're coming from.

On 3/10/2019 at 7:58 PM, Biker19 said:

Same reason people call it the Diamond Lounge, instead of calling it by the sign by the door, Diamond Club.

Or the same reason people call it  a floor not a deck or a room not a cabin.  Methinks  little Matty (ie. mattj2000) doesn't have much on his mind except maybe his hat!!! 😉