Fancy French Restaurant

Loreni

I’m in no hurry to sail Royal class ships because they lack a promenade deck for walking and viewing the sea.  Many new builds have this problem, but a few innovative cruise lines have new builds with fantastic promenades.  If DH and I are traveling alone, we won’t select a ship without a promenade, but if traveling with other family members, maybe.

The new French restaurant looks intriguing.  I like the decor.  I have some concerns about the overall ambiance as it seems open to the Piazza and might be noisy.  I am also curious how much quality will be lost, since the chef will not have access to farm fresh food from the French countryside.  Still I would probably try it.  If reports are favorable, it would be a real selling point for me. 

Edited by Loreni
  • Haha 2

I probably will be trying other cruise lines.  And, as I said, the Royal class is not my first choice.  But, my  decisions in future cruises will be made after careful calculation and on a case by case basis.  It will depend upon who I am traveling with and their needs and limitations as well as my own.

I still find the announcement of the French restaurant intriguing.  I like to see Princess innovating in positive ways rather than continuing to remove things.

• Like 1

La Mer is only on the Majestic, Sky & Enchanted but has replaced the popular Crooners Bar’s location in the Piazza.

Based on friends input & posts I’ve read few passengers were dining there.  The reasons I’ve heard & read are the open location is noisy & lacked ambiance.  It’s located next to the walkway where passengers pass by & being at the top of the Piazza it’s noisy from activities below & not liking the menu.

I too was intriqued by La Mer but haven’t decided yet whether we’ll try it on the Sky or not.

I am very excited to try it!  Love French food.  I remember when I first started cruising and they would have a themed French night, in addition to Italian night.  I remember trying frog legs for the first time and loving it, tastes just like chicken, haha!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

If you want a French restaurant, book on the Nieuw Statendam. Rudi’s served us the only decent meal all week, and the promenade was ok, although narrow at times 

Sel de Mar on Nieuw Statendam served my best dinner on the ship during my 2 weeks aboard.  French?  Well, there are some "nods" in that direction.  But, it's not entirely French cuisine, I don't think.  My order was Escargots, Dover Sole, Haricots Verts, and Crepes Suzette.  Everything was delicious, even the "younger green beans", a vegetable that is not among my favorites.  Service from all of the staff was excellent and unobtrusive. 

Just looked at some pictures of Rudi’s.  It looks very nice.  We often cruise from LA, but San Diego is certainly doable.  I think the HAL ships in San Diego may be a better choice for us than the Royal Princess.

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I am asking this with the intent to learn.  How could you tell the Sole had been frozen? 

Dryness in the thinnest part of the fish is a dead giveaway to me. Here’s some other signs:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-instantly-tell-fish-has-been-frozen-chuck-anderson

28 minutes ago, Loreni said:

I like Crooners.  So they are taking something away.  Will we be able to sit in Le Mer during the day, when it isn’t serving dinner.  Will there be another piano bar elsewhere?

That's our problem too!

While we look forward to Le Mer, just so wish it were not replacing Crooners.  

41 minutes ago, Loreni said:

I like Crooners.  So they are taking something away.  Will we be able to sit in Le Mer during the day, when it isn’t serving dinner.  Will there be another piano bar elsewhere?

Take Five on deck 6, which is in the soot where Club 6 is on Royal/regal, is replacing Crooners. Piano bar, jazz music, etc. 

10 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

All fish served on the ship has been frozen.  :classic_wink:

Thanks for your comment.  No surprise there on my part unless I was sailing in the seas were Dover Sole could have been obtained.  Then, fresh would be expected.

At this stage of my life, if I enjoy what fish/seafood is presented, regardless of frozen or fresh, if it is properly prepared, I am a pleased diner.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Loreni said:

I probably will be trying other cruise lines.  And, as I said, the Royal class is not my first choice.  But, my  decisions in future cruises will be made after careful calculation and on a case by case basis.  It will depend upon who I am traveling with and their needs and limitations as well as my own.

I still find the announcement of the French restaurant intriguing.  I like to see Princess innovating in positive ways rather than continuing to remove things.

I certainly hope it's better than Curtis Stone's "Share."  I received the email today, I just hope it isn't another let down.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Geoffa30 said:

Didn’t the Royal launch in 2013? If so why are people still starting threads bemoaning the lack of a proper promenade deck?

Maybe because they had hoped all the complaining would have resulted in restoring a complete promenade in later versions of the Royal class of ships such as the Sky and Enchanted.

Complaining may work.  The deck plans for the Enchanted show a Crooners on deck 6 while the deck plans for the Sky do not show a Crooners at all.

3 hours ago, nukesubsailor said:

Maybe because they had hoped all the complaining would have resulted in restoring a complete promenade in later versions of the Royal class of ships such as the Sky and Enchanted.

Complaining may work.  The deck plans for the Enchanted show a Crooners on deck 6 while the deck plans for the Sky do not show a Crooners at all.

Bit difficult to make a fundamental change like adding a full wraparound promenade deck I think. Moving or adding venues inside is an easier fix but I expect changes to the super structure would be near impossible.