First time cruising on Anthem next month - Ultimate dining?

Hello, 

We travel but this is only our 2nd cruise. The first was Norweigan and we didn't love it. It was very crowded and we felt nickled and dimed. The food was awful, even in the speciality dining restaurants.This time we were planning differently and hoping to include some of these expenses up front and discounted. We are going on Anthem of the Seas next month to Bermuda leaving from NJ. It is just my husband and I and our 13 year old son. So far we have purchased the Key since we were going to purchase internet for each of us anyway, my son wants to use the flow rider and we don't want the hassle of going to shows early for the best seats etc. This package comes with a lunch at Chops on embarkation day and a breakfast on departure day. So instead of buying the Ultimate Dining Package we bought the 3 night dining package, planning to try Chops, Japanese and Jamie Oliver's. I figured we will eat dinner in the MDR the first night and last night, in Bermuda one night and pay for one of the other specialty dining restaurants the other night and still come out ahead from purchasing the Ultimate Dining Package. Thoughts? Or should we just buy the Ultimate Dining Package too? I'm thinking we will not eat that much food (heavy lunch and dinner every day). And the only three restaurants that interest us are Chops, Jaime Oliver's and the Japanese restaurant. Wonderland looks too avant garde for my son. Thoughts?  

43 minutes ago, NinaHughes said:

The first was Norweigan and we didn't love it. It was very crowded and we felt nickled and dimed. The food was awful, even in the speciality dining restaurants.Thoughts?  

Don’t set your expectations any higher than NCL and you should be fine. 

1 hour ago, NinaHughes said:

Hello, 

We travel but this is only our 2nd cruise. The first was Norweigan and we didn't love it. It was very crowded and we felt nickled and dimed. The food was awful, even in the speciality dining restaurants.This time we were planning differently and hoping to include some of these expenses up front and discounted. We are going on Anthem of the Seas next month to Bermuda leaving from NJ. It is just my husband and I and our 13 year old son. So far we have purchased the Key since we were going to purchase internet for each of us anyway, my son wants to use the flow rider and we don't want the hassle of going to shows early for the best seats etc. This package comes with a lunch at Chops on embarkation day and a breakfast on departure day. So instead of buying the Ultimate Dining Package we bought the 3 night dining package, planning to try Chops, Japanese and Jamie Oliver's. I figured we will eat dinner in the MDR the first night and last night, in Bermuda one night and pay for one of the other specialty dining restaurants the other night and still come out ahead from purchasing the Ultimate Dining Package. Thoughts? Or should we just buy the Ultimate Dining Package too? I'm thinking we will not eat that much food (heavy lunch and dinner every day). And the only three restaurants that interest us are Chops, Jaime Oliver's and the Japanese restaurant. Wonderland looks too avant garde for my son. Thoughts?  

I guess you don't see the irony in your nickel and dime statement about NCL if you are willing to spend extra money to avoid lines. If you are sailing during spring break it is probably a good idea to purchase the key especially if you were going to purchase internet for the entire family. I would suggest that you skim through the Key tread which by now is probably as long as War and Peace for tips and experiences of others who have used it.  Since this is your first trip on Royal I would also suggest that you try the included food venues before you commit to the ultimate dining package. From what I have read and seen here (photos of food) there doesn't seem to be much difference between the pay for restaurants and the MDR expect for ambiance.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Thank you all for the advice! Let me clarify, we felt nickel-ed and dimed on NCL bc we didn't pre purchase anything and didn't know about such things as first time cruisers. We paid for shows (Cirque), meals, excursions, the arcade, photos and the internet on board. Our final "extras" bill was as much as our cruise! Luckily we had a drink package included on that one but, it all added up! Trying to avoid that this time. 

We have purchased the Key, the drink package, excursions and the 3 night dining plan. Wondering if we should just get the ultimate dining plan. We did not like the regular food on Norwegian but the specialty restaurants (from what I remember the French and Hibachi) were better, but still ok. 

Also want to add that honestly adding up the Key, Drink Package, 3 nights dining, excursions and our room (ocean view w balcony) this trip will come in between $6,000 - $7,000. And we live in NJ so we don't have to fly anwhere. I am surprised when I hear people say cruises are cheap, bc they are definitely not. There are a lot of resorts we could have gone to for a week for that.

Edited by NinaHughes

44 minutes ago, NinaHughes said:

I am surprised when I hear people say cruises are cheap, bc they are definitely not. 

Those folks are much better at saying no to the extras, go off season, arrange their won excursions (don't buy the cruise line ones) and maybe even luck into a healthy price drop. You could go on the same sailing for less than 1/2 the price if you are willing to give up the extras, find alternative excursions, move your dates and compromise on the cabin.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

Thank you all for the advice! Let me clarify, we felt nickel-ed and dimed on NCL bc we didn't pre purchase anything and didn't know about such things as first time cruisers. We paid for shows (Cirque), meals, excursions, the arcade, photos and the internet on board. Our final "extras" bill was as much as our cruise! Luckily we had a drink package included on that one but, it all added up! Trying to avoid that this time. 

We have purchased the Key, the drink package, excursions and the 3 night dining plan. Wondering if we should just get the ultimate dining plan. We did not like the regular food on Norwegian but the specialty restaurants (from what I remember the French and Hibachi) were better, but still ok. 

Also want to add that honestly adding up the Key, Drink Package, 3 nights dining, excursions and our room (ocean view w balcony) this trip will come in between $6,000 - $7,000. And we live in NJ so we don't have to fly anwhere. I am surprised when I hear people say cruises are cheap, bc they are definitely not. There are a lot of resorts we could have gone to for a week for that.

Stick with this plan.  Enjoy your cruise on the Anthem. I have loved all of mine.  🙂

(btw, Izumi on Anthem does not have hibachi)

I am surprised when I hear people say cruises are cheap, bc they are definitely not. There are a lot of resorts we could have gone to for a week for that.

Royal Caribbean is the most expensive of the family cruise lines, Disney excluded. This will be my second RC cruise in almost 20 years mainly due to price. They are always launching new ships that are larger with more bells and whistles and you pay a premium for that especially if you sail in prime season. Once you start adding on extra’s like meal plans and drink packages it really adds up. We eat in the MDR and this is the first time that we will be paying for a drink package. Other cruise lines it was either part of the price or we purchased drinks individually. My kids never used the internet  but to be fair at the time we traveled the internet was expensive and not so good so there was no added expense for that. Personally I don’t see why kids need to be connected on a cruise when there is so much to do. We purchased one device as part of the drink package combo only because I have aging parents and one of our sons will be home. It was only an extra $10 a day.  Even with driving to port this will be the most expensive cruise per day that we will have taken over the past 28 years including the ones that we paid for when we traveled as a family of 4. 

Thanks all! Unfortunately we need Internet as my husband and I both have our own businesses and can never truly "unplug" and we can only travel due to my son's school schedule during peak times. It looks like what we have booked so far is perfect for what we need - thank you! 

• Like 1