I think I may be excited about my first cruise.

Debbborra

I am booked for a ten day cruise tour that begins on June 13. I've bought beverage packages, dining packages and all excursions. I bought new luggage, luggage tags and a rain coat. I'm shopping for a dress for the second gala night. 

All that's not actually what makes me worry. 

I dream about the cruise every night, and it seems like all night. Every time I wake up I've been dreaming about it again. 

It feels like it may be a long three months. Is this normal? 

• Like 9

It is normal!  Even for a lot of longtime cruisers! (me, for one!!)  Sounds as if you will have a great time, with your ultra positive attitude. What ship are you cruising on?

The only way to be more excited is to have booked a GUAR.  Then it gets really wild.

Have a wonderful and do come back and tell us all!

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Debbborra said:

Please read the above responses.  Yes it is absolutely normal.  Unfortunately, not much one can do about it.

If the cruise doesn't meet your expectations you will probably notice a decline in the dreams.  However, if the cruise meets your expectations they will probably never stop, just decrease a bit until you book your next cruise.  Now, if your expectations are exceeded, lord help you.  You are in the early stages of cruise addiction and they will never cease.  My addiction started 25 years ago and the dreams continue.  :classic_love:

Edited by DocJohnB
  • Like 2

It’s absolutely normal.  It’s one of the reasons I enjoy planning 😉 

Then about 3 weeks out I go into panic mode - house, dogs, prep for everything planned, LOL.

I don’t dream much about it anymore but I do anticipate it 😉 

• Like 1

Enjoy the moment. Nothing compares to the very first time!! To this day, I remember everything about my first cruise. The sheer excitement leading up to it. Setting eyes on the ship for the first time from the shuttle. The feeling of anticipation going up the gangway, and the first moment of glee as I entered the ship for the first time. I ran around exploring every nook and cranny and inch of the ship like a little kid in a candy store.  It is a very special feeling that I remember to this day. And while I look forward to every cruise, nothing comes close to the excitement I felt on my first cruise. So enjoy your moment!!! Happy cruising 🙂 

• Like 4

Our first cruise was kind of a fluke (trade for a job my husband did for a client). We didn't really think we would like it, but hey, free cruise. Well, the rest is history. We were absolutely hooked. I still get very excited when we have an upcoming cruise. I'm planning, thinking, organizing, researching every day. Our next cruise is 5 weeks away and I can't wait!

So, my warning to you, OP, is: Be aware that this can be addicting!!  Have a wonderful time and please report back on your adventure!

• Like 1

I love cruising.  Unfortunately my husband humors me by going but I guess I won't be retiring as a cruise ship resident:classic_biggrin:.  Go ahead and take over the guest room now to lay out all of your items.  I have been cruising for many years but I still print out at least three different packing lists every time.  There are some awfully clever people out there.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Debbborra said:

I am booked for a ten day cruise tour that begins on June 13. I've bought beverage packages, dining packages and all excursions. I bought new luggage, luggage tags and a rain coat. I'm shopping for a dress for the second gala night. 

I dream about the cruise every night, and it seems like all night. Every time I wake up I've been dreaming about it again. 

I'm leaving in 5 weeks and I got new luggage for Christmas, prepaid beverage packages and shore excursions, have bought lots of new clothes that I don't want to wear til we cruise, and made an excel spreadsheet of what I am planning packing! Although I haven't started dreaming yet.  But yeah, part of the fun of going on a cruise is the planning and expectation of it all! Have a great trip. :)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Debbborra said:

I don't know if it is normal for others, but it is normal for me. My trip in June will be my first time going to Europe. I am SOOO excited. I have watched so many videos on long haul flights and packing. I too just got new luggage, luggage tags, and dresses. I am dying to pack, but I still have 80 days before I get on the plane. I say, just continue the planning and enjoy yourself because soon your cruise will be over 😪

• Like 1

The anticipation is part of the experience.  Savor it.  As many have posted, that first cruise is the hallmark of special.  After 40 years of cruising, I still have the thrill of planning and anticipating until that moment when I start up the gangway and know the cruise is about to start.  People always ask me what is the best cruise I've ever taken.  My response?  The one I'm about to take!

I hope your cruise exceeds your expectations.  If so, you'll be hooked and will then be dreaming about where to cruise next.  Please come back and share your impressions.

• Like 3

Hi Debbborra,  I am exactly the same! Our first cruise is in July and I have literally woken up a couple of hours ago having dreamt about it all night.  Possibly because before I go to bed I check the forum!  I’m obsessed, and glad I’m not the only one!

• Like 3

Enjoy the planning and enjoy the cruise!

I’m another one who lucked into a free cruise long ago because of my job (I was in airline sales and went the extra mile to help one of the cruise lines arrange a last-minute charter flight they desperately needed). It was the best vacation I ever had, and two years later I managed to get a cruise line sales rep job in Washington, DC where my boyfriend lived. Double win!

I eventually left the cruise industry but never lost the love of cruising. Next HAL Cruise in 3.5 weeks with that boyfriend to celebrate our 39th anniversary. 

• Like 1

I hAve  beenon 60 cruises I got hooked after the first one .Usually within a few weeks of getting back I bookthe next one .After my cruise on Koningsdam I have nothing planned until November😱😱😱😱😱😭😭😭😭😭😭

i know thats not going to fly ....lol but .my bankaccount has committed hara kiri lately plus my Cdn exchange to US $ makes it very painful .I also find this summers Med or Greek Island cruise extremely expensive ...I really hope prices go down...

for years my Italian studentswouldencourage me to go to Rome ...never did till I retired ..now Ive been all over Italy many times ...I love to travel

.I started to cruise on March Break with my kids 5 and 7 at the time .My little guy loved it as wegot off he askedwhen is the next one Mom .That one all included flight etc cost me 7000$ for oneweek 

needless to say we only did the one that year 

but as time went by I have done more and more .....i still do travel with my boys now young men ..they are still my favorite travel companions 

go have fun enjoy every anticipation andeverything cruising has to offer 

bon Voyage 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J4NEC said:

Hi Debbborra,  I am exactly the same! Our first cruise is in July and I have literally woken up a couple of hours ago having dreamt about it all night.  Possibly because before I go to bed I check the forum!  I’m obsessed, and glad I’m not the only one!

Yes, exactly that! 

2 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Enjoy the planning and enjoy the cruise!

I’m another one who lucked into a free cruise long ago because of my job (I was in airline sales and went the extra mile to help one of the cruise lines arrange a last-minute charter flight they desperately needed). It was the best vacation I ever had, and two years later I managed to get a cruise line sales rep job in Washington, DC where my boyfriend lived. Double win!

I eventually left the cruise industry but never lost the love of cruising. Next HAL Cruise in 3.5 weeks with that boyfriend to celebrate our 39th anniversary. 

That's an awesome story!