What land base restaurants woukd you compare the MDR to

Jareds_mommytoo

It is really an unfair comparison.  While our obvious choice would be a land restaurant over HAL’s MDR, not one of our favourite land restaurants is pumping out hundreds of appetizers, entrees, or deserts over a four/five hour period.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

I wouldn't even compare the PG to a great land premier steak and chop house. At its best the PG is would be an average land steak house. Canaletto is no better than an Olive Garden. I found the Tamarind to be the best eating venue on any cruise ship we have been on, it is the only one I would go to on land.

The big problem with cruise ship food is freshness, all meat and seafood has to be pre-frozen and kept frozen to last the length of the cruise while at sea. I have noticed on 10 day and 14 day cruises that even the salads, fresh fruits and vegetables start to look and taste old towards the end of a cruise. No first class land restaurant would serve pre frozen fish or steaks. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, whogo said:

Wedding food? Banquet food? I have never been to a banquet or wedding that offered a choice of three soups, three salads, six main dishes, a cheese plate, a fruit plate and ten or so desserts.

HAL could offer a thousand choices but it still wouldn't change the fact its nothing more than banquet catering quality.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, whogo said:

Wedding food? Banquet food? I have never been to a banquet or wedding that offered a choice of three soups, three salads, six main dishes, a cheese plate, a fruit plate and ten or so desserts.

5 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

HAL could offer a thousand choices but it still wouldn't change the fact its nothing more than banquet catering quality.  

While a wedding caterer may not offer the choices at the table, they do typically offer choices of entrees, sides, and desserts to the customer ahead of time.

On 3/11/2019 at 4:50 PM, terrydtx said:

I attended a national conference with my company last week at the Renaissance Hotel in Austin, Texas. We had buffets for breakfast and lunch and it was some of the best banquet food I have had at any hotel I can remember. One morning they served Eggs benedict over a piece of beef brisket  and a buttermilk biscuit. They were delicious and the yokes under a warming light were still runny, no idea how they did that.  

Feeling some Austin pride!  And a hankering for brisket.  Think I'll head over to Valentina's for a Holyfield.  Staying close to home and avoiding SxSW.  :classic_biggrin:

FB screen2.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aquahound said:

"Banquet" food is a reasonable expectation on any cruise ship; even those who tout their more refined cuisine. Comes with the territory once you start serving a 1000 plus passengers three times a day,

• Like 1