Jump to content
charity709

Venice in one day

Recommended Posts

Hello!

We are headed for our first cruise in May departing from Rome. It's also our first time in Europe.

 

We are looking forward to spending a few days in Rome prior to departure, but since our itinerary doesn't include Venice we were considering leaving a day earlier, flying into Venice for one day/night and then taking the train to Rome. In your experience, would this be too hectic? We want to fit in as much as we can, but I don't want to over complicate things either so I don't know if it's worth it for the sake of one day?  Looking for opinions. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you think you'll never get back to Europe and this is your one and only opportunity to see Venice?

I would look at all the costs involved with adding a visit to Venice:  the difference in airfare flying to Venice over Rome, an extra hotel night, food, train, transfers, etc.

But I gotta admit .... unless it was super exhorbitant, I'd go for a day and night in  Venice!  It's pretty magical. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 days would be even better - the first day you will most likely be tired from your flight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't say how many days you were planning to spend in Rome, but I think three is really the minimum.

 

Mediterranean cruises can be very tiring (even when you're young) -- usually you are in port actively sightseeing for a good 8 hours or more every day. And if you're going in the heat of summer, even more so. 

 

To try to squeeze in Venice would be, I think, rather exhausting even before you board. You will likely also have some jet-lag to contend with when you first arrive.

 

Now if you could spend 2 days in Venice and three in Rome, it would perhaps make it worthwhile....

 

I understand the attraction of wanting to see and do everything possible, but taking a little time to actually breathe in and enjoy the trip is also to be highly recommended. :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

You don't say how many days you were planning to spend in Rome, but I think three is really the minimum.

 

Mediterranean cruises can be very tiring (even when you're young) -- usually you are in port actively sightseeing for a good 8 hours or more every day. And if you're going in the heat of summer, even more so. 

 

To try to squeeze in Venice would be, I think, rather exhausting even before you board. You will likely also have some jet-lag to contend with when you first arrive.

 

Now if you could spend 2 days in Venice and three in Rome, it would perhaps make it worthwhile....

 

I understand the attraction of wanting to see and do everything possible, but taking a little time to actually breathe in and enjoy the trip is also to be highly recommended. :classic_smile:

 

Thanks for commenting! I'm definitely nervous about being beat out by the time the cruise even starts lol. The cruise is 10 nights and we are planning 3 nights in Rome prior to and 2 nights in Barcelona at the end. I'm kind of intimidated at the thought of rushing 1 day in Venice after a tiring and long flight and then lugging our luggage to a train station and finding our way around.  

 

Definitely torn because we want to make the most of the trip and I've always wanted to see Venice but dont want it to feel stressful or overwhelming.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

Do you think you'll never get back to Europe and this is your one and only opportunity to see Venice?

I would look at all the costs involved with adding a visit to Venice:  the difference in airfare flying to Venice over Rome, an extra hotel night, food, train, transfers, etc.

But I gotta admit .... unless it was super exhorbitant, I'd go for a day and night in  Venice!  It's pretty magical. 

Thanks! I've been tallying the cost and it is playing into my hesitation a little, along with the business of it all. I've heard that Venice is one of the more expensive cities even to eat since its so tourist-y. I'd hope I'd be able to get back and see it under more relaxed circumstances, but who knows. I'm so torn lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Venice is wonderful. But I suspect you are young, and you could come back for more time in Rome,  and a more serious trip to Venice. Take your time in Rome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

what time does your flight arrive in Venice ? 

You could stay in Mestre near the train station which would fix a few issues : easy access from the airport on the ATVO express bus (15 minute ride under 8E ), Mestre hotels are cheaper than Venice, no need to drag luggage over bridges, and easy access for the train to Rome.   The train ride from Mestre to Venice takes 10 minutes and under 2E.

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/mestre/mestre-hotels.htm

If you arrive around around noon, you could check into the hotel, take a cat nap if your room is ready, then take the train into Venice.  The station is on the Grand Canal and there's a vaporetto stop right outside.  The next day you could check out of the hotel, asking the desk to hold your luggage, then sightsee for another 5 or 6 hrs. Maybe catch a mid-afternoon train to Rome ( a 3-4 hr nap).

 

Your vacation time, your money, so you'll need to think hard about it. Still not sure why you think this trip is a one and only.  

But if you have hesitations, don't do it. You don't want to start off your vacation stressed.  

 

Edited by mapleleaves
link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have lived in Europe for 59 years.  I am finally planning to visit Venice this year as part of a Greek Island cruise (yay).

 

I am in the "stick to Rome" camp.  I am sure that you will be feeling jet lagged when you arrive so even if you do visit Venice on this trip I think that you will say that you need to go back.  There is so much to see in Rome. I have visited on 7 day trips as part of a cruise and still  know that there is more to see.   So if it were me,  I would try to make the most of Rome and Barcelona (one of my favourite cities) on this trip and plan for the ports that you are visiting on your cruise.    

 

You then have a lovely reason to come back to Europe either as a road trip or another cruise towards Eastern part of the Med.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

charity709-

IMO, I would only do this if I could add three nights (for two full days) in Venice before going to Rome.  If not, forget it and enjoy Rome.  Just an overnight doesn't make sense.  You would be prolonging your jet lag, barely seeing Venice and short changing Rome.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, everyone.  Really appreciate the input! It's been very helpful.

This will be our biggest trip to date (it's our honeymoon).  We're early 30s and finally able to afford this trip, lol.  I've been nervous about life getting in the way of us getting back to Europe...once kids come along it seems like vacations start to be to focused on Disney and amusement parks or something. But I think there have been a lot of valid points about whether it would actually be enjoyable and fulfilling or just a tick off the bucket list.  So I'm leaning toward focusing on Rome, the cruise and Barcelona. As has been mentioned by some of you, we'll have to make a point to plan Venice and eastern Med ...perhaps for an anniversary!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on what you like.  Definitely on that tight of a time schedule it will be difficult/impossible to see all the tourist attractions and museums in full in both cities.  Depending on how much luggage you travel with bring it back and forth everywhere might not be the most pleasant experiences.

 

That being said, venice is a lovely city to just visit and wander for a few hours.  Wandering around the alleyways in the evening eating ccicchetti and drinking wine and aperol is wonderful.  and you are young. if you pack lighter, the high speed rail is pretty stress free and you can catch up some sleep on the train. just get a hotel closer to the train station. every bridge across each teeny island usually means going up then down a handful of stairs.

 

Venice the islands is not big and you can see quite a bit of it wandering around with google maps.  St. mark's is only like a 30 min walk from the train station and the walk can be nice and romantic in and of itself.

 

that being said, rome is nice too and 2 full days is pretty short for rome too. so many choices in your few days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do it! You wont be tired, there's too much to see and do! We have done both the eastern and western med. I personally only needed one day in Venice. You will love it! You can sleep when your dead! Enjoy life!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a dilemma..ship ports in Venice approx 7 am...my flight departs 12:30 pm (same day). Am tempted to stay two nights in Venice.  How would I go from pier to Hotel and then from Hotel to Airport. Is this feasible? Have been to Venice (land tour) before and would love to visit Burano again and 1st time to Murano.  Solo travel is daunting too.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2019 at 8:24 PM, mapleleaves said:

what time does your flight arrive in Venice ? 

You could stay in Mestre near the train station which would fix a few issues : easy access from the airport on the ATVO express bus (15 minute ride under 8E ), Mestre hotels are cheaper than Venice, no need to drag luggage over bridges, and easy access for the train to Rome.   The train ride from Mestre to Venice takes 10 minutes and under 2E.

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/mestre/mestre-hotels.htm

If you arrive around around noon, you could check into the hotel, take a cat nap if your room is ready, then take the train into Venice.  The station is on the Grand Canal and there's a vaporetto stop right outside.  The next day you could check out of the hotel, asking the desk to hold your luggage, then sightsee for another 5 or 6 hrs. Maybe catch a mid-afternoon train to Rome ( a 3-4 hr nap).

 

Your vacation time, your money, so you'll need to think hard about it. Still not sure why you think this trip is a one and only.  

But if you have hesitations, don't do it. You don't want to start off your vacation stressed.  

 

Don't do this, you miss the whole point of a day and night in Venice.  With your schedule I wouldn't do Venice.  It deserves time and attention of its own and the magic is in staying the night in the city when the day trippers have gone.  We're heading back this year for our 5th visit.  So put it on your list for next time!  

 

Vic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We love Venice and cannot get enough of this magical city.  But unless you fly there first for three nights and then head to Rome, it would be too much.  I am sure you will get back, we took our children many places.  

 

Cruise gal,  I like your thinking of a couple of nights.  Just book near piazza Roma for ease of connection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Venice doesn’t have to be expensive to eat and drink. It is if you use places in the major tourist areas such as St Marks Square and nearer the Rialto Bridge. If you get well away from those you can eat reasonably, and if you go to other islands such as the Lido there are some lovely inexpensive restaurants.

If you have plenty of time I would suggest a few days in Venice, but stay on the Lido away from the hustle and bustle. You can get the Vaporretto (water bus) across to the main island, but it’s nice to come back to a quieter and cheaper place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP-  You can't do it all in one trip. 

 

By spending only 1 night in Venice (after your long flight) you will "shortchange" Venice and leave with the wrong impression.  Way too rushed. 

 

Just know you'll be back.  After all....you have to see Paris too! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RE: Venice future visit 

Congratulation on your new adventure in life...

 

 You may want to consider the Vision of the Seas that sails from Barcelona.  Its a 12 nights Mediterranean sailing.  The ship is docked in Venice for two days.    Italy is our favorite and deserves more time to enjoy.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, bennybear said:

We love Venice and cannot get enough of this magical city.  But unless you fly there first for three nights and then head to Rome, it would be too much.  I am sure you will get back, we took our children many places.  

 

Cruise gal,  I like your thinking of a couple of nights.  Just book near piazza Roma for ease of connection.

Thank you....

cruise gal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • NCL Sail-Away Giveaway Sweepstakes - Win a 7-Day Cruise on Norwegian Joy!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...