Eclipse questions? Ask here

cruisestitch

As far as I know, the drinks have been unlimited during the happy hour time. Bars do seem to be crowded but not unduly so.

In Puerto Madryn there was a shuttle from the ship to the end of the pier.

We are in Usuaia today and it’s cold but not awful. It spits rain every so often but only for a couple of minutes at a time.   We have been told that yesterday it poured all day and it snowed heavily in the mountains, so we are glad to have better conditions for our day in the end of the world.

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 1

The Puerto Madryn bus only went to the end of the pier (where there's nothing there)?  During our Infinity cruise (2017), our shuttle took us all the way into town.

Is Eclipse able to dock at Ushuaia?  

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

We did have fog most of the time sailing around the Horn, making it difficult to see the lighthouse and the statue. But we could see them. Here is today’s sunrise over Chile

C0E6AC09-44B8-4B43-8CC5-D75C6041CBCB.jpeg

beautiful sunrise !!!!  Can't wait

15 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Sorry..earlier attempt to upload this photo failed...another memo of interest 

B2005D47-82EA-46E5-ADEA-6391BE9E6B6A.jpeg

This is freaking me out....Celebrity told me I would be OK with a flight after 11:30...so I have one for 11:35.  

Is there any way to find out if our Global entry will work with customs and border patrol.

I leave tomorrow morning for Santiago.  Thanks

40 minutes ago, nikel said:

This is freaking me out....Celebrity told me I would be OK with a flight after 11:30...so I have one for 11:35.  

Is there any way to find out if our Global entry will work with customs and border patrol.

I leave tomorrow morning for Santiago.  Thanks

37 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I think you will be OK. The airport is very close to the cruise port. Unless you are flying internationally I think you have allowed enough time.

I don’t believe that global entry is available in San Diego port.  

Ours too is at 11:30.  You will be fine.  Airport is 5 minutes away.

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

I think you will be OK. The airport is very close to the cruise port. Unless you are flying internationally I think you have allowed enough time.

I don’t believe that global entry is available in San Diego port.  

Thanks, I am flying to Canada.

I would certainly tell guest relations that you want the first possible time off the ship. There’s no indication yet if there would be self disembarking or if it will all be luggage tag numbers. But just tell them you need to be first and I think you’ll be fine.

13 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I would certainly tell guest relations that you want the first possible time off the ship. There’s no indication yet if there would be self disembarking or if it will all be luggage tag numbers. But just tell them you need to be first and I think you’ll be fine.

Thanks, I will do that.

On 3/11/2019 at 2:58 PM, cruisestitch said:

Boarded yesterday in Buenos Aires.  From here it’s Around the Horn, then on to San Diego.  

Any questions? Ask here.

Katherine, thank you for starting this thread, and for the time and attention you are devoting to it. We will be sailing Eclipse for the first time on April 8, and this will also be our first sailing as Zeniths. Do you, or any other follower of this thread, have any words of Eclipse wisdom for us, special tips to share, things to do, places to explore, or any other suggestions to help us take full advantage of what Eclipse has to offer? Thank you!

Is there noro or something similar on the ship.?  I just got an email from Celebrity warning about water, soda etc in South America and in the past two weeks a "few" have come down with gastro illness . It is sating to seek medical attention if you get any.

There was a Noro on the previous cruise. When we boarded there were no menus at Café al Bacio there was no salt and pepper shakers on the Oceanview tables.   The crew did a deep cleaning of the ship between that cruise and this one. A few days into this cruise, all the missing things reappeared and have not been removed again.  

What I have heard is that over the last few day some people went ashore and ate in local restaurants, and came to regret it.  

We have just entered the Pacific ocean, having left the straits of Magellan. We’ve had a lot of wind and rain on this trip. It was beautiful back in Buenos Aires, also in Montevideo, and then the wind began to come up and we missed our port of Punta Del Este all together.  There had been so much rain in Puerto Madryn that all penguin tours were canceled because the roads were washed out.  It was quite foggy when we were at Cape born. And it had rained in the morning at loose Ushuaia but it cleared in the afternoon. But it was very cold there.   It continued cold and very windy it at Punto Arenas.  During the night the wind came up again and the ship vibrated a lot.  I heard a passenger say she had been disappointed that the waters were so calm, having read many historical accounts of the rough waters here. They aren’t disappointed today. About 6:30 this morning we turned into the Pacific Ocean, and the ship commenced “rocking and rolling”.  The motto of the day is “walk like a penguin”.  

• Thanks 1

cruisestitch,

I guess I will count myself lucky that our weather was good and the seas were calm during our South American cruise a couple of years ago.  The only weather related event was when our departure from Puerto Madryn was delayed for 2-3 hours because of high winds.  

You're headed north now, so the weather will be improving from here on out!

David

2 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

Cold in Ushuaia, rainy before and after that, foggy at Cape Horn.  Typical winter weather.

Is mid-March considered winter over there?