Canon RP

mskaufman

I haven't used it, but there are 3 questions to address with that type of transition:

- Benefits (and drawbacks) of the upgrade to full frame, though it isn't the best full frame sensor. You'll still see significantly better low light performance and typically more narrow depth of field (indirect relationship between depth of field and sensor size)

-The pros and cons of the switch to mirrorless. Smaller size, EVF. Worse battery life, etc.

-The switch from a near-top-of-the-line aps-c camera to a "budget" full frame. To me, it's kind of like asking, is it better to be in a luxury all inclusive resort in Florida (great hotel in a so-so location), or to be staying in a Budget 8 motel in Maui. You are upgrading your sensor (destination) but losing out on some of the amenities. 

It is Canon's way of reducing the price of buy-in to their new lens mount. The new low-spec body (compared to the EOS-R) attached to an $1100 kit lens will get you a seat at the table and maybe that's all you will ever need. If, as Havoc has mentioned, you already have a higher-spec APS-C camera, you will be taking a performance hit with the only benefit being shallower depth of field and a bit better ISO range.

Obviously this is my opinion. I passed on Sony FF cameras for several years and finally upgraded to the A7III because it was the first generation of FF Sonys that were significantly better at focusing, battery life and image quality than the excellent APS-C cameras I was already using.

If for some reason I decided to get an RF-mount camera instead of one of the better-performing competitors, I would spend the extra money for the EOS-R. Again, IMHO.

Dave