Flowrider Surfing Lessons

21 minutes ago, CrochetNCruisin said:

Can anyone tell me if the standup surfing group lesson is worth the price?

In My Own Opinion I Go On Royal Caribbean Just To Ride The The Flowrider. I Think That The Group Lesson Is Kinda Worth The Money. 

• Like 2

Thank you this is what I was hoping for!   We are taking a 13 year old that's awesome on the boogie board but a bit timid and shy of the standup yet wants to do it - I was hoping the group lessons would be just enough to get the gist without being rushed!

1 hour ago, CrochetNCruisin said:

Thank you this is what I was hoping for!   We are taking a 13 year old that's awesome on the boogie board but a bit timid and shy of the standup yet wants to do it - I was hoping the group lessons would be just enough to get the gist without being rushed!

Yes, do it! And I would do it on the first day. Get him set up nicely for the rest of the cruise.

I would actually be hesitant to purchase it.  The staff that I interacted with were very good at providing a little bit of instruction to get you up and surfing on your own.  You might be a better off purchasing the "The Key" and having access to extra time on Flowrider when it is not crowded at all.  The lessons won't provide much more than what you would get from riding at a non busy time and the lessons are usually very early in the morning at the least convenient time.

Just an option anyways.

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I would actually be hesitant to purchase it.  The staff that I interacted with were very good at providing a little bit of instruction to get you up and surfing on your own.  You might be a better off purchasing the "The Key" and having access to extra time on Flowrider when it is not crowded at all.  The lessons won't provide much more than what you would get from riding at a non busy time and the lessons are usually very early in the morning at the least convenient time.

Just an option anyways.

The group lesson costs 69 dollars, the key is 24.99 per person, per day.  For my cruise, that would be $524.79.  That is a pretty big jump in price.

I'm assuming that your $524.79 would be for three people and that the $69 is for one persons lessons.  My suggestion to the OP is to consider it based on the idea that the other perks associated with The Key would also have some value and also provide them with an additional benefit that I would consider an equivalent to the group lesson, extra Flowrider time with few people in line. If your buying it only for one person for one benefit obviously it doesn't work.

17 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Just an option anyways.

I have to 100% disagree with this. Have you done a lesson? It's way different than the little bit of instruction you get when riding it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm assuming that your $524.79 would be for three people and that the $69 is for one persons lessons.  My suggestion to the OP is to consider it based on the idea that the other perks associated with The Key would also have some value and also provide them with an additional benefit that I would consider an equivalent to the group lesson, extra Flowrider time with few people in line. If your buying it only for one person for one benefit obviously it doesn't work.

I appreciate the thought - but the Key for 6 people is a bit out of budget and the lesson is only for one.  We are diamond so the bit extra the Key gives isn't a huge issue to me to be honest.  I would prefer to spend that money elsewhere as the only thing really worth is is the internet and I prefer to unplug for the week and not have to worry about facebook or things back home! 

• Priority check-in and boarding*
  • Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom**
  • Exclusive welcome lunch at Chops Grille® -
  • Private hours at onboard activities*** including Rock Climbing, FlowRider®  and more. The private hours schedule will be provided at check-in. 
  • Priority port of call debarkation
  • Reserved seating at shows in the Main Theater, Aqua Theater and Studio B.
  • VOOM ® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet
  • Choice debarkation with an exclusive a la carte breakfast

6 minutes ago, The Sunset Glow said:

I have to 100% disagree with this. Have you done a lesson? It's way different than the little bit of instruction you get when riding it.

A private lesson I would agree but a group lesson is not that much better than a designated less crowded time, in my opinion.  That being said... It doesn't work for the OP.  I was just providing a potential option.

8 minutes ago, The Sunset Glow said:

This is what I observed with my son, the lesson was an hour long with only a few people in it.  Each person got some very detailed instructions demonstration and assistance.  and they all had a good time.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Yes, that would be for 3 people, and they do require you buy it for everyone in the cabin.  Other situations may be different, but we already have most of the benefits that it would provide, so it doesn't have much value for us.

12 minutes ago, CrochetNCruisin said:

I appreciate the thought - but the Key for 6 people is a bit out of budget and the lesson is only for one.  We are diamond so the bit extra the Key gives isn't a huge issue to me to be honest.  I would prefer to spend that money elsewhere as the only thing really worth is is the internet and I prefer to unplug for the week and not have to worry about facebook or things back home! 

• Priority check-in and boarding*
  • Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom**
  • Exclusive welcome lunch at Chops Grille® -
  • Private hours at onboard activities*** including Rock Climbing, FlowRider®  and more. The private hours schedule will be provided at check-in. 
  • Priority port of call debarkation
  • Reserved seating at shows in the Main Theater, Aqua Theater and Studio B.
  • VOOM ® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet
  • Choice debarkation with an exclusive a la carte breakfast

No worries, if your 13 yo son is even remotely athletic I don't think the lesson is necessary though.  I"m 53 and out of shape and I managed to do it successfully without a lesson as do most kids who do it.

EDIT: It's not that a lesson is bad or anything.  It just doesn't seem worth it to me when it really isn't that difficult once you start doing it.

Edited by Tree_skier

2 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

No worries, if your 13 yo son is even remotely athletic I don't think the lesson is necessary though.  I"m 53 and out of shape and I managed to do it successfully without a lesson. As do most kids who do it.

She isn't athletic but is great on the Boogie Board, and is super timid about the stand up surfing.  Thus, the bit of quieter time on the wave with less people around may help boost that confidence.

Edited by CrochetNCruisin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CrochetNCruisin said:

She isn't athletic but is great on the Boogie Board, and is super timid about the stand up surfing.  Thus, the bit of quieter time on the wave with less people around may help boost that confidence.

I hope she has fun!  I loved getting on the Flowrider.  Being on it with a bunch young teenagers actually made it even more fun for me I think.  Once they saw me getting successful at the boogie board portion they challenged me to do the stand up. It was hilarious for them and me but it was all good fun.  There is a really great feeling of accomplishment when you are able to start weaving back and forth across the pool under control.

Definitely recommend the lesson for the teenager.  We did this for my 13 y/o son last year.  There were 5 people total with 2 instructors.  Each person got very individualized, hands on instruction.   The instructors tailored the instruction to each person allowing for those who figured it out sooner to continue to more 'advanced' maneuvers - essentially, everyone at their own pace.   I suggest you do it on day 1.   

We found it to be a great value and good choice of purchase.

enjoy.

I'm with Tree - you can pick it up pretty quick if you are athletic.  Some of the fun is learning with the crew over the course of your cruise.  But if the cost is not something you worry about - go for it.  I never took a lesson and this 48 year old does ok now...

I also agree - the youngs have fun at our expense on occasion, but eventually we all pull for each other in whatever new trick it is the individual is trying to master.

Figure I'll piggyback on this. If you don't get the lessons (either individual or group) how does this work? Say I book a spot and show up. Do you just ride until you fall, let's say for me about 5 seconds. That's it right? Then you have to rebook another time slot? Or is there just a perpetual line you can keep getting back into?

One thing that is scaring me about our upcoming RCL cruise is the regimented bookings for activities.

20 minutes ago, Hanzo said:

Figure I'll piggyback on this. If you don't get the lessons (either individual or group) how does this work? Say I book a spot and show up. Do you just ride until you fall, let's say for me about 5 seconds. That's it right? Then you have to rebook another time slot? Or is there just a perpetual line you can keep getting back into?

One thing that is scaring me about our upcoming RCL cruise is the regimented bookings for activities.

It is just a continuous line. The sessions get more and more crowded as the cruise progresses. early morning sessions are least crowded and will net you more turns. I constantly crash and am very bad at it. I just keep trying. I am 55 , I am confident I will master by 70 as long as I keep at it.:classic_unsure:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hanzo said:

You don't have to reserve a time you just stand in line like you would a water slide etc. But the lines can be long and in peak times you could be waiting 30 mins. if you are a new rifer and fall right away (almost guaranteed) then they usually let you try again but then you go back to the end of the line. I recommend the lesson so that you can get used to it. Once you can get out on your own without assistance from the staff you can attend the advanced rider sessions in the morning which usually has less people.

• Like 1