Cruise Critic Community
mattwright

MSC Seaside - model ships in gift shop?

We have our first cruise with MSC coming up in May.  I have collected model ships from our other cruises and am curious if MSC (or at least Seaside) offers similar model ships onboard in the gift shop?

For example, this is the style of model ships I have from Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Princess, and Celebrity.

If you've seen - or purchased - these onboard MSC, just let me know.

Thank you!

model ships.jpg

Posted (edited)

The answer is yes. They sell beautiful and quite detailed models in the MSC logo shop onboard. Se my photo of the MSC Seaview model, which is the sistership of the MSC Seaside. 

Have a great cruise 👍 

IMG_20180724_010435.jpg

Edited by Norwegian Cruiser 73

Excellent!  Thank you very much for your reply and photo.

Are their model ships only available in a metallic finish?  Or do any of them look more like the sample picture I posted above, kind of the standard ship models available on all the other major lines?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, mattwright said:

Excellent!  Thank you very much for your reply and photo.

Are their model ships only available in a metallic finish?  Or do any of them look more like the sample picture I posted above, kind of the standard ship models available on all the other major lines?

You're welcome. They are only available in metallic finish on a wooden stand. But they are in my opinion far more accurate and detailed than Royal Caribbean and Celebrity models so I think they are very nice. I believe you will be happy with the model 👍

Edited by Norwegian Cruiser 73

1 hour ago, Norwegian Cruiser 73 said:

The answer is yes. They sell beautiful and quite detailed models in the MSC logo shop onboard. Se my photo of the MSC Seaview model, which is the sistership of the MSC Seaside. 

Have a great cruise 👍 

IMG_20180724_010435.jpg

Wow..Do you remember how much it costs please?

1 hour ago, bigilla said:

Wow..Do you remember how much it costs please?

Can't remember the price exactly but it is EUR 30 to 35 on European sailings. On the Caribbean sailings the currency is USD.  Well worth the money 👍

2 hours ago, Norwegian Cruiser 73 said:

You're welcome. They are only available in metallic finish on a wooden stand. But they are in my opinion far more accurate and detailed than Royal Caribbean and Celebrity models so I think they are very nice. I believe you will be happy with the model 👍

Thank you again for the information.  You're right, they do look nice and detailed.  I do like the metallic look, but I was thinking more about consistency when displayed with the rest of the model ships I've collected.  None of the others are metallic or mounted on a base like that, so it will certainly stand out... for better or worse.

Definitely full metal, judging by the weight. We have 2 (which were gifts from Customer Services' officers)

8a0901b7b63f2201301bb5ba0fa4c17e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I do like the look of the MSC models.  I just don't like that they don't match the style of all the other basic ship models I've collected over the years.

But like I said before, at least it'll stand out... for better or worse.

11 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

On Seaside now

metal models are $35.00 USD

crystal blocks $20.00 USD

420D5169-C3CC-4168-A85B-531AD9484C16.jpeg

26C9AA85-B269-4D80-812A-FB1309D7B7E0.jpeg

Thank you very much for posting those pictures and confirming the current price!

I'm actually surprised they're only $35 since they're metal, especially considering the standard models from other lines are usually sold onboard for that much or more (I think my last model, Norwegian Getaway, was $45).

MSC 3D jigsaw model ship is also very nice. Big, authentic looking and in full color.

They also had a lego model of Merviglia (don't know if they still do - or if they added other ships to the range, though I think it was specifically Meraviglia merchandise).

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the prices and pictures...Very much appreciated. We will surely buy the Seaview model when we re onboard in July... Unfortunately we did not buy the model of the MSC Splendida when we cruised on it some 8 years ago. Only lately we have decided to collect them. Wonder if there is on online shop or something where we can get it.

Edited by bigilla
forgot to add some info