Transtalantic weather

I know that Mother Nature can be fickle, but what can I  expect the weather to be for my April, 2019 transatlantic (Fort Lauderdale, Azores, Cork, Bruge, Amsterdam, and Copenhagen).

Will the first 6 days at sea be warm enough for the pool?

I assume it will be jeans and shirts for the other ports and I will be bringing a rain coat, maybe a light jacket.

Any suggestions or past experience would be very helpful

Thanks

4 minutes ago, mduffy1834 said:

I know that Mother Nature can be fickle, but what can I  expect the weather to be for my April, 2019 transatlantic (Fort Lauderdale, Azores, Cork, Bruge, Amsterdam, and Copenhagen).

I assume it will be jeans and shirts for the other ports and I will be bringing a rain coat, maybe a light jacket.

Thanks

I believe that there is a good chance that it will be warm enough for the pool.  Especially since you will be coming ( I assume) from MA.  We have done the trip a couple of times and if I recall correctly weather was very pleasant all the way to the Azores, and not bad after that.

If this is on the Serenade, we may run into each other, as we are also on that TA.

We did the reverse last September. We had cool, but pleasant weather in Amsterdam and Ireland, warm in the Azores and a very pleasant crossing. Not warm enough for us for the pool until we were close to Florida, but we are from Arizona. 

We had, 4 hurricanes in the Atlantic with us, but the Captain kept us safe and in pretty calm Seas for the most part. However, on the spring TA in 2018 they missed a couple of Ireland ports due to storms, so you can never tell. 

1 hour ago, mduffy1834 said:

Thanks

We did that TA last year, the only bad day of weather we had was in France, our day in Normandy was cold, drizzling rain but we still had a good time.  The crossing itself was mild weather. Ireland was a gorgeous, sunny day and both Brugge and Amsterdam were sunny and warm. It was a great cruise.

Sherri🙂

Thanks for the replies - we are actually in our second year as snowbirds, so we have been very warm all winter.  We are on the Serenade and just love this ship (been on her about 5 times).  Will plan for warm and cool climates and bring my raincoat.  If it is sunny and 60, that is shorts weather, maybe with a sweater.  Hearty New Englander always.

• Like 1

I sailed Miami to Barcelona in April and the weather was glorious! One day the Captain said we would be hitting large waves over night and to secure everything. But he must have steered around them as it was smooth sailing the whole way, and that was on a much smaller ship, NCL Spirit.

I’m curious to watch what your weather will be like. We are on the Anthem transatlantic in April 2020 and just received an email that Halifax has been canceled and that Azores and France have altered times due to unpredictable winter weather. 

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

Thank you choosing to sail with us on our April 12th, 2020, Transatlantic Anthem of the Seas cruise. We are reaching out to let you know that regrettably, we have an itinerary change to share.

At times, sailing across the Atlantic Ocean during the winter months can increase ship movement. As a precautionary measure and to ensure your safety and comfort, we’ve made the decision to give ourselves more time for the crossing so that we can steer around any unfavorable weather as necessary and still make our itinerary. As a result, our visit to Halifax, Nova Scotia will now be replaced with a day at sea. Our time in Ponta Delgada, Azores will also be adjusted to 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM, and our arrival time into Paris (Le Havre), France will now be 8:00 AM. We are sorry for these changes; however, your safety and comfort are our number one priority. Below, please find our updated itinerary.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Sun

Cape Liberty, New Jersey

5:00 PM

Mon

Cruising

Tue

Cruising

Wed

Cruising

Thu

Cruising

Fri

Cruising

Sat

Ponta Delgada, Azores

7:00 AM

4:00 PM

Sun

Cruising

Mon

Cruising

Tue

Cork (Cobh), Ireland

10:00 AM

8:00 PM

Wed

Cruising

Thu

Paris (Le Havre), France

8:00 AM

8:00 PM

Fri

Southampton, England

5:30 AM

4 minutes ago, KelJ said:

As a result, our visit to Halifax, Nova Scotia will now be replaced with a day at sea.

What a pile of hooey!!!  Did RCI recently discover that the weather in the North Atlantic can be rough?  More to this itinerary change than the comfort of the passengers.

We too are on Anthems TA in April 2020,I agree with d9704011,surely RCI knew what time of year it was when they scheduled it origionally,can't help feeling the fact that we were due in Halifax on April 14th & the anniversary of Titanics' sinking is April 15th somehow has something to do with it,either way it certainly has spoiled the cruise big style,we were really looking forward to the stop in Halifax,we have already been to Ponta Delgada & can visit Ireland & France anytime from here in the UK,not happy!

We are also on the 2020 crossing and missing Halifax is a disappointment but there are several other cruises that go to this port.  I like that Royal is keeping our safety as their main concern.  Hope you enjoy this cruise even with the change.

On 3/13/2019 at 7:53 PM, shippmates said:

We are also on the 2020 crossing and missing Halifax is a disappointment but there are several other cruises that go to this port.  I like that Royal is keeping our safety as their main concern.  Hope you enjoy this cruise even with the change.

Sorry I really can't believe this has anything to do with safety,as excuses go it is so poor & unnacceptable IMO.

The Atlantic can be rough at any time of year,if we believe RCI cruises will be banned from crossing it completely on Health & Safety grounds,laughable!

On 3/15/2019 at 7:01 AM, snaefell said:

Sorry I really can't believe this has anything to do with safety,as excuses go it is so poor & unnacceptable IMO.

The Atlantic can be rough at any time of year,if we believe RCI cruises will be banned from crossing it completely on Health & Safety grounds,laughable!

Except now they will be able to take the Southern route and much better weather.

15 minutes ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

Except now they will be able to take the Southern route and much better weather.

Well, maybe.  Except now, people who thought they booked a cruise with a stop in Halifax won’t get anywhere near Nova Scotia.  Maybe RCI shouldn’t leave sight of land and a safe harbour in case the weather and seas become uncomfortable.